Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Casa Magna-Overhyped and underwhelming (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9338)

bobarian 01-31-2009 05:21 PM

Casa Magna-Overhyped and underwhelming

Smoked my first of these earlier today. What a letdown.:mad:

Solid construction with a nice dark wrapper. I am not a fan of most of Placencia's blends, so maybe this was the reason I did not find this cigar appealing. If this was meant as the replacement for the JdN, IMHO he missed the mark. None of the flavor or kick of a JdN. Some decent toastiness, but no depth or complexity and barely any nic kick. :rolleyes:

I smoked mine down to the nub, searching for something that would tell me why this was rated so highly(other that $). I got nothing! Overall a very boring stick. Smooth yes, but flavor no. :confused:

There are so many other tasty Nicaraguan smokes out there that I would smoke before the Casa Magna. JdN, Tat's, Pepin Blacks. :2

borndead1 01-31-2009 05:29 PM

Re: Casa Magna-Overhyped and underwhelming

I agree. I smoked one and just didn't "get it". And I am a Nestor fan.

Skywalker 01-31-2009 06:03 PM

I trust you Bob more than Cigar Aficionado magazine!!!!

dunng 01-31-2009 06:05 PM

Thanks for the review. I have not yet tried it yet... But typically I don't like anything from Nestor Placencia. :ss

Cigary 01-31-2009 07:15 PM

Dang,,,I wanted to try this one out but now I have to rethink this.

Buena Fortuna 01-31-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigary (Post 207456)

Don't let someone else's opinion stop you from trying one, everyone's tastes and opinions are different. You certainly won't be wasting your money at that price point, and you may just like it...that's the reason there are so many great cigars blended every year. Spend $6 and post your own review and join in the fun:D

borndead1 01-31-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigary (Post 207456)

Try one. It's not that it's a bad cigar, we just can't figure out why it got #1 cigar of the year.

bobarian 01-31-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 207484)
Try one. It's not that it's a bad cigar, we just can't figure out why it got #1 cigar of the year.

:tpd:I agree, never let one person's opinion steer you away from trying a smoke. There are hundreds of cigars out there I dont like. I will give Casa Magna another shot as well. I never make a final decision based upon a single cigar.
Each person's palate is different as are their expectations. :2

Doogie 01-31-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 207484)

my thoughts exactly:ss

BORIStheBLADE 01-31-2009 11:50 PM

I tried one too and wasn't blown away, but it was a decent smoke for $6.00. I do want to give it another try though.

PaleRider 01-31-2009 11:52 PM

I like the Casa Magna myself. I absolutely agree that there were other cigars that they rated that were much better, i.e. DPG Blue Label Lancero (Yum!) Anyway, I think that the 92 rating that they afforded that blend is a bit high IMHO. I would put it at a solid 90-89 FWIW.

This all being said. I think that the construction is quite good, and I also think that it does offer something worthwhile. Worthy of number 1 for the year? Probably not. But a darned good cigar, definitely. Pick one up, decide for yourself.

Just my :2

Cheers!

Smokin Gator 02-01-2009 03:55 AM

I have a couple of these that BigAsh sent me. I am looking forward to smoking them.

Ratters 02-01-2009 09:29 AM

Nice review Bob. :tu Maybe I'll give mine a shot today.

NickyTeen 02-01-2009 10:25 AM

Thanks for the review,Bob.:tu

omowasu 02-01-2009 09:15 PM

I just picked up one of these two days ago solely because of the #1 slot at CA. I havent smoked it yet, but my expectations were so-so even then, and they are more so-so now. I will smoke it in the next couple days and report back... :ss

Ratters 02-01-2009 09:28 PM

Had mine today. Eh, it was pretty good. Just nothing special. Kinda reminded me of a Tat red a bit.

zmancbr 02-02-2009 02:14 PM

Thanks for the review Bob. I think I will steer clear of this stick... you are right there is too much good stuff to smoke! :ss

uptown_isy 02-02-2009 02:17 PM

I agree that this is not the best cigar out there, but I've been pushing this cigar as the best value in the humidor for some time now. Even though CA doesn't really care about value, I do. Thanks for the review Bob!

karmaz00 02-02-2009 02:19 PM

havent had one yet...thanks for the heads up

Killjoy 02-02-2009 02:45 PM

I have been interested in trying these too..maybe i will get lucky and my local B&M might have one. If they do i will post a quick write up tomarrow