Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Yet another Shilala question..... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34560)

bigdix 07-29-2010 07:26 AM

Yet another Shilala question.....

Got my beads today, 1lb of them for a 12 bottle Haier cooler. They've been in there about 5 hours and have been bouncing from 55-61 or so. They are 65% beads. Obviously they recommend a week or better for them to acclimate/reach equilibrium....the fluctuations just seem odd. Then again, only my desktop humi in there right now (with heartfelt beads in it). Whaddya guys think? Normal? Should I feed it a few empty boxes??

kelmac07 07-29-2010 07:44 AM

Re: Yet another Shilala question.....

Give it a few days.

md4958 07-29-2010 07:47 AM

give it a few days, and take the Heartfelt beads out. Also, did you follow Scott's instructions and calibrate your hygrometer? Fresh batteries help too.

bigdix 07-29-2010 07:55 AM

The hearfelt's are IN the desktop, which is in there just to keep the temp down.....it SAID the hygro should be good outta the box (came from him as well) but if it's still squirrely in a few days, I'll salt test it. It matched my other. We'll see! Thanks for the input, brothers. Did I mention I love it here??? Except you all fuel my obsession. :D

CigarNut 07-29-2010 07:55 AM

As others have stated --

- Give them time to acclimate
- Calibrate your hygrometer (even if it is brand new)

You don't need any empty boxes. What is the temperature inside the Haier? Is the Haier drain plug sealed?

Also, just to clarify -- have you put your desktop humidor inside the Haier?

bigdix 07-29-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 933057)
As others have stated --

- Give them time to acclimate
- Calibrate your hygrometer (even if it is brand new)

You don't need any empty boxes. What is the temperature inside the Haier? Is the Haier drain plug sealed?

Also, just to clarify -- have you put your desktop humidor inside the Haier?

Desktop is inside, Haier display says 67-68 degrees, hygro says 68-69 degrees. This cooler has no drain plug (probably due to size, and yes it is thermo-electric). I calibrated the one in the desktop a few days ago...may just set 'em side by side for a bit to get a feel for the new one...or just suck it up and calibrate the damn thing...it IS adjustable! I just have a few boxes on the way so I'm getting antsy...but trying not to.

dwoodward 07-29-2010 12:01 PM

Micheal's site "Says" that the hygrometers should be calibrated out of the box, but it also says that shipping and such can mess up the readings on a hygrometer.

Sooo.... You should calibrate your hygrometer. I ordered one of the calibration packs with my hygrometer, it was only a dollar. I would trust the pack over the salt test anyday.

bigdix 08-01-2010 02:24 AM

Ok, calibrated with a humi pack....it's good to go. About a week in the wine cooler. 54% to 57% is where I'm at. Gonna go with Michaels suggestion and just keep waiting it out! The funny thing is that I live on a subtropical island and the ambient RH in my house is about 66%. We shall see!!

longknocker 08-01-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 933363)
Micheal's site "Says" that the hygrometers should be calibrated out of the box, but it also says that shipping and such can mess up the readings on a hygrometer.

Sooo.... You should calibrate your hygrometer. I ordered one of the calibration packs with my hygrometer, it was only a dollar. I would trust the pack over the salt test anyday.

:tpd: I Never Could Get The "Salt Test" To Work Right. I Always Use The Boveda Calibration Packs!:tu

longknocker 08-01-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdix (Post 936405)
Ok, calibrated with a humi pack....it's good to go. About a week in the wine cooler. 54% to 57% is where I'm at. Gonna go with Michaels suggestion and just keep waiting it out! The funny thing is that I live on a subtropical island and the ambient RH in my house is about 66%. We shall see!!

Dan: It Also Depends On What You Have In Your Wine Cooler, How Full It Is, How "Wet" Your New Sticks Are, Etc. Give It Time, All Is Well!:D

bigdix 08-01-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 936424)
Dan: It Also Depends On What You Have In Your Wine Cooler, How Full It Is, How "Wet" Your New Sticks Are, Etc. Give It Time, All Is Well!:D

Thanks, Greg. Trying to be patient :)