Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   DPG My Father (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8781)

Siebec 01-25-2009 12:30 PM

DPG My Father

I stopped in at Medina Cigar on my way to Cleveland to see some live bands at Peabody's.

I had heard about the DPG MY Father blend, but my local B&M did not carry them so I decided to give this one a try. Sorry no pics, my phone decided to not work.

I picked a no. 1, robusto 5.2X52 in size. The wrapper was very light, smooth and had only a few small veins.

I clipped it with my palio, and took a pre-light draw. The draw was perfect, not too hard and not too easy, there was a little bit of spice on the draw, which is expected from a pepin blend.

I lit the cigar, and was immediately hit with a huge amount of spice, this lasted for about a half inch and then the cigar became very smooth with subtle hints of spice here and there for the 1/3 of the stick.

The second half started to pick up strength, and I noticed hints of leather and spice, while I have a hard time picking out tastes, this cigar kept me quite interested, with its complexity.

The last part of the cigar was quite strong, a little more than I like, but it stayed smooth and did not disappoint. I noticed hints of cedar mixing with the spice around this point, I burned it down to the point I could no longer hold it with my fingers.

The burn was razor sharp the whole time, no touch-ups were needed and the ash held bout about and inch and a half.

Total cost was about $11, a little pricey, but worth it when you really want a cigar to wow you.

Overall I would highly recommend this cigar, the smoothness, yet complex tastes kept me coming back for more, it is nice to find a NC like this, I will be buying a box.

8.5/10

NickyTeen 01-25-2009 04:40 PM

Re: DPG My Father

Nice review,Siebec.:tu I smoked the robusto size also on New Years day. Found it very enjoyable.Very smooth,full flavor,great burn. Thanks for the review.

MedicCook 01-25-2009 04:43 PM

Thanks for the good review. Sounds like a cigar I would enjoy.

md4958 01-25-2009 05:03 PM

nice review.

Ive had the lancero and it was really good. Didnt seem AS spicy (read: black peppery) as you describe.

Finfan13 01-25-2009 05:18 PM

nice review. thanks. ive only had one of these but loved it. its been a while since i smoked it, but i remember it had lots of complexity.

BlackIrish 01-25-2009 05:23 PM

Thanks for the review. I think I have one of these tucked away somewhere. Time to fish it out.

bobarian 01-26-2009 12:36 AM

Smoked a lancero from NickyTeen at yesterday's herf. Very enjoyable. Had some of the spice of a typical Pepin, but a bit milder than most. i suspect that was because it was blended by the son and not DPG. Thanks Kriss for the tasty stick. :ss

auburnfan1980 01-26-2009 07:30 AM

Thanks for the review! Barbourjay gifted me the lancero vitola of this stick and I picked up a bit of a floral undertone throughout the middle of the stick....it was surprisingly pleasing and I usually love the very spicy sticks. I'm with ya on the score you gave...I'd definitely say it was a strong 8.5 if not a 9 out of 10. :tu

Jason

weak_link 02-22-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 191482)
Smoked a lancero from NickyTeen at yesterday's herf. Very enjoyable. Had some of the spice of a typical Pepin, but a bit milder than most. i suspect that was because it was blended by the son and not DPG. Thanks Kriss for the tasty stick. :ss

Smoked a lancero over two episodes of Sopranos tonight and it was a fantastic smoke. I found it to be complex and changed up a few times which I really enjoy in a cigar. Started with that Peppin spice and like Bob mentioned, backed off almost right away. I was getting a nutmeg spiciness, something not pepper but interesting, then past the last third developed a sweetness to it. Very nice smoke and I have Harry Houdini to thank for the very enjoyable cigar this evening.

tenbaseg 02-22-2009 07:50 AM

Thanks for the review. I picked one of these up at the shop when herfing with the massholes for the flag signing. I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

Sauer Grapes 02-25-2009 07:26 PM

Had a toro-ish size Monday night. Pretty darn good cigar. I'd give it an 8.5 or so out of 10. If they were cheaper, I'd buy a box for sure.

ChicagoWhiteSox 02-25-2009 07:38 PM

Thanks for the review. I have still not tried one but that will change soon

houdini 02-25-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weak_link (Post 248977)
Smoked a lancero over two episodes of Sopranos tonight and it was a fantastic smoke. I found it to be complex and changed up a few times which I really enjoy in a cigar. Started with that Peppin spice and like Bob mentioned, backed off almost right away. I was getting a nutmeg spiciness, something not pepper but interesting, then past the last third developed a sweetness to it. Very nice smoke and I have Harry Houdini to thank for the very enjoyable cigar this evening.

Glad you enjoyed it! H

roughrider 03-01-2009 12:03 PM

I smoked the Lancero Friday night and found it to be very enjoyable.

WildBlueSooner 03-06-2009 04:39 PM

Nice review. Another one on my list of "to buy"!

Mr B 03-06-2009 05:43 PM

I had one on my Dad's birthday a couple weeks back. I Loved it. nice & spicy with great flavors. I only have a couple left, time to get more!

MarkinAZ 03-06-2009 07:08 PM

Robusto's are my favorites and this one sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review and input Siebec:tu:ss

Lenny 03-17-2009 05:32 PM

:tuA Nice Review. I have smoked several including the 6X60 .
Now if J&R or CI could only make an alternative. Have seen some boxes on http://www.CigarBid.com [url="http://www.cigarbid.com"[/URL] for $90-$120. Makes it more affordable, to indulge.
Lenny

boonedoggle 03-17-2009 05:48 PM

How do these compare to Vegas Cubanas?

Siebec 03-18-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonedoggle (Post 291864)
How do these compare to Vegas Cubanas?

Not at all as far as I am concerned. I was never a fan of the Vegas Cubanas, but I really enjoyed the My Father.