Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Belgian ales (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12437)

rhdad42 03-20-2009 01:24 PM

Belgian ales

I'm a big fan of Belgian ales. Very few things are as satisfying as enjoying a Belgian ale with friends and a cigar. I love Fin du Monde, Chimay, Corsendonk, and enjoy Golden Monkey if I'm in the mood for something sweeter )I know all these aren't from Belgium, per se).

Anyone out there want to recommend something new for me to try? Monster Beverage has a really good selection, and I'm in the mood for something new this weekend.

Ollie 03-20-2009 07:11 PM

Re: Belgian ales

Everything I've had from Ommegang has been excelent.

WyGuy 03-20-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie (Post 296411)

:tpd:

I especially like the Hennenpin.

AllOGistics 03-20-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie (Post 296411)

HawkEye19 03-20-2009 08:11 PM

Chimay ales are exceptional. Duvel makes a tasty golden ale.

Heatmiser 03-22-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkEye19 (Post 296482)
Duvel makes a tasty golden ale.

SmokeyNL 03-22-2009 11:57 AM

some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown)
Westmalle
Leffe
Kwak

Well many others come to mind as well, but these are the ones I like best overall.

Drat 03-22-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyNL (Post 298266)
some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown)
Westmalle
Leffe
Kwak

Well many others come to mind as well, but these are the ones I like best overall.

Good luck finding the Westie 12. I've got one that I'm saving for a special occasion that was a bring-back from a colleague that did new years in Amsterdam.

You can find the Roche 8 pretty easily, but the Roche 10 is hard to come by but worth the purchase when you find it.

Leffe is way overrated in my book.

SmokeyNL 03-22-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drat (Post 298308)
Good luck finding the Westie 12. I've got one that I'm saving for a special occasion that was a bring-back from a colleague that did new years in Amsterdam.

You can find the Roche 8 pretty easily, but the Roche 10 is hard to come by but worth the purchase when you find it.

Leffe is way overrated in my book.

I live near the belgian border, all it takes for me to get westvleteren is a phonecall and a drive over there. (it is also beeing sold in some stores now even though it is not allowed.)

Rochefort 10 is sold in a lot of stores including some supermarkets (chimay as well), then again some of the Belgian markets have insane selections, we here in the Netherlands have a nice choice though.

Drat 03-22-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyNL (Post 298314)
I live near the belgian border, all it takes for me to get westvleteren is a phonecall and a drive over there. (it is also beeing sold in some stores now even though it is not allowed.)

Rochefort 10 is sold in a lot of stores including some supermarkets (chimay as well), then again some of the Belgian markets have insane selections, we here in the Netherlands have a nice choice though.

I'm so unbelievably jealous!

awsmith4 03-22-2009 05:59 PM

Logan aka Sixpacksunday bombed the Greenwood SC Herf with quite a few great beers, including the Rochefort 10. I am in love and have been looking for it since

landhoney 03-24-2009 12:30 PM

Anything from Cantillon, Duchess de Bourgogne, Roodenbach Grand Cru, Goudenband, De Dolle Oerbier Reserva (hard to find though, but great).

icantbejon 03-24-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown) :dr:dr:dr:dr
Westmalle
:tu
Kwak

These are solid recommendations in my opinion. Love Kasteel. Get ready for a bit of a punch though, as it's pretty strong.

icantbejon 03-24-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown) :dr:dr:dr:dr
Westmalle
Leffe :tu
Kwak

These are solid recommendations in my opinion. Love Kasteel. Get ready for a bit of a punch though, as it's pretty strong.

SmokeyNL 03-24-2009 12:33 PM

a nice list: http://40beersat40.blogspot.com/2008...ian-beers.html :tu

icantbejon 03-24-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volfan (Post 301655)
Malheur 10 is very good as is Saison DuPont. For something sweeter, Malheur has a couple of belgian ales that use champagne yeast (IIRC) and they are a bit sweeter. Although not really a belgian, Ommegang Three Philosophers has a bit of sweetness to it as just rocks. It gets better with a couple of years on it so get extra and stock up.

Three Philosophers is another great recommendation. JK5 shared some with me not too long ago and it was very tasty.

Tripp 03-24-2009 01:29 PM

I don't know a lot about Belgian ales, but i'm drinking the Widmer brewmaster release '09 Belgian style ale, and its fantastic!

ashtonlady 03-24-2009 02:11 PM

Delirium Tremins is one of my favorites. Got to love those pink elephants. :)