Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to make distilled water (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1223)

Dood 10-16-2008 02:57 PM

How to make distilled water

I've seen the question asked a time or two, and I just stumbled across a site that shows how to make it:

Link

spincycle 10-16-2008 03:23 PM

Re: How to make distilled water

Very cool! Assuming you'd minus the rose petals. :)

mikeyj23 10-16-2008 03:29 PM

I found a much easier method.

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.
#3 Leave with distilled water.

BigAsh 10-16-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyj23 (Post 12636)

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.

:r:r now THAT'S funny!

Martin 10-16-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.

ditto

Coz77 10-16-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.

Personally I use this method all the time. I couldn't be happier! :D

JKim 10-16-2008 03:48 PM

I remember reading the troubles a fellow cigar smoker once had getting distilled water in a community of 200 in Alaska. Shipping would outweigh the cost benefits. I think if he had seen this at that time, he would have been ecstatic!

Conch Republican 10-16-2008 06:02 PM

Someone mentioned the other day that the water from a dehunidifier is distilled - anyone know if that is true?

SvilleKid 10-16-2008 06:25 PM

Never purchased it, never used it. (yeah, I'm a heretic; it comes with old age and grumpiness, so I'm told)!:D

I use a Pur filter on my kitchen tap, and use that water for my humidification needs. Been using that way for near onto 5 years, no negative effects at all. And, I don't have to keep a jug sitting around that will be less than pure after the first time it's open. A news story I read yesterday says that a lot of bottled water (including some that is supposed to be distilled) is just as contaminated as non-bottled water. And, as soon as distilled water contacts the atmosphere, it will capture contaminates just like any other type of water.

From a practical standpoint, the humidity that comes out of plain old tap water as it sits and evaporates is just about the same as you get with forced evaporation via boiling and re-condensation through a distiller coil.

Pur (under a different name) makes the same filters that I have used for two decades while hiking and camping. They are highly efficient, and I use them anyway for my cooking needs, so the same filtered water has always served me well.

I'm not knocking those that feel they must have distilled water, but there are other alternatives out there just as efficient.

Kinda one of those issues where what-ever makes a person most comfortable is what they should do. Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that have to have the distilled water for their c-pap machines anyway, so it makes good sense to use the same bottle for cigar needs. Interestingly enough, though, my father has been using Pur filtered water in his CPAP for 10 years, and no clogs or residue build-ups have occurred. So who knows!

The Korean 10-16-2008 08:30 PM

If I couldn't get my hands on it, maybe I'd use this method, I'll just keep getting it from the grocery.

hotreds 10-16-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.

:tpd:

WHY would you want to make some unless you REALLY couldn't get any?!

Dood 10-16-2008 08:37 PM

Hey, I buy mine at WalMart, but I have seen posts from a couple of people who didn't have any place they could get it, so I thought I'd throw it out there if anybody ever needs it.

ucubed 10-16-2008 09:30 PM

I gave a couple links to some guys stationed in the middle east so they have distilled water for their beads, water pillows or whatever they use, we have the luxury here to buy them, some places they don't

bobarian 10-16-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.

How did you find out my secret method????:c:c:c

Waynegro1 10-16-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

#1 Go to the store.
#2 Pay 80 cents.

I'm no "Joe the Plumber" but...:tpd: