Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Shilala's Beads (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16742)

longknocker 06-09-2009 07:29 PM

Shilala's Beads

Just wanted to let everyone know what awesome products one of our BOTLS has. Scott (Shilala) sold me "3" 8oz. bags of beads for my 3 coolidors and 3 smaller "Stick" bags (2oz. each) for my small humidors. He also sold me "1" 8oz. bag for my 7 drawer Tower Humidor that I have a hard time maintaining equal RH throughout. I must admit I was very skeptical about using "Beads" to maintain RH. I have been using 65RH Boveda packs and they work very well. However, at $70 every 3 months for Boveda packs, this was getting quite expensive! I tried Scott's beads and was not disappointed! My Coolidor is spot on @64RH every time I open the lid to check. I don't need to do a thing! Completely stable over the last 3 week period, with the temperature ranging in the 90's outside and the RH in my House at 55 and Room Temp 76. The Tower Humidor is even more impressive! With 7 drawers and around 200 sticks stored there, the RH ranged from top drawer to bottom drawer from 64-69 when using Boveda packs. With Scotts Beads, the range is 64-66 from top drawer to bottom drawer! I am still amazed at what these beads can do and how simple it is to maintain a constant RH! PM Scott (Shilala) for any additional info you may need.

Thanks again, Scott for your Awesome Products!

Greg

G G 06-09-2009 07:32 PM

Re: Shilala's Beads

Scott's beads are great. I have had them in my vino for about a year. I haven't had to charge em up in three or four month's.

Savor the Stick 06-09-2009 07:40 PM

Another :tu for Scott's beads they are truly an amazing product. Takes the worry out of caring for your cigars.

Thank You Scott!

kelmac07 06-09-2009 07:45 PM

Scotts beads have kept my humi at a constant 65%....thanks Scott!!

jwintosh 06-09-2009 07:51 PM

he hits hard too!! :tu

sikk50 06-09-2009 09:16 PM

His beads have kept mine at about 67 for 5 or 6 months

big a 06-09-2009 09:54 PM

+1 on his beads. I have been using them a couple weeks in the vino and even with it running all day it is still holding right at 64-65%. I have not had to charge them yet. Not to thread jack or anything but if anyone has some tips/tricks on how to charge them in a vino please PM me and fill me in.

csbrewfisher 06-09-2009 10:04 PM

I liked heartfelts, but I love Scott's beads even more. He does an outstanding job.

shadow king 06-09-2009 10:17 PM

Does he sell them all the time or just when there is enough of a demand? How much per pound? I have some beads now but I may need 1-2 pounds more.

stearns 06-10-2009 04:09 AM

you're better off pming him, but ya, nothing beats his beads, believe it or not they are even better than the magical green foam that came with one of my humis

stearns

14holestogie 06-10-2009 04:54 AM

Another satisfied user of the magical Shilala beads. Nothing better. :tu

WyGuy 06-10-2009 09:46 AM

Definitely a GREAT investment! My cooler is always rock solid at 63%, and I can't remember the last time I recharged them was.

OLS 06-10-2009 09:51 AM

Are all the beads the same size as the grit that comes out of the bags, or is that just some particulate dust that will eventually stop getting everywhere?

colimo 06-10-2009 10:56 AM

i got some from his recent sale, they work great, sprobably houlda got more....:tu

OLS 06-10-2009 11:47 AM

Not stating that the beads are bad or don't work, btw. Just can't see into the sack to see if they are so small as to eventually all dust out. Mine are quite new and there is nothing in the information included to indicate they might release a little grit, although it did not surprise me, as all beads come with some dust I have found.

shilala 06-10-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 417436)
Are all the beads the same size as the grit that comes out of the bags, or is that just some particulate dust that will eventually stop getting everywhere?

Yeah, it's dust. It sucks, I hate it.
Eventually all the dust works it's way out and they quit making a mess.
Best thing to do is sit them on a plate or in a box or something to isolate the mess.
I bounce them in my hand to clean them, but the seams are so delicate I have to be very careful.
When I make these things, I use rubbermaid containers with about 10 pounds in each container. I dump them back and forth from like three feet in the air and let the wind carry off the dust and chaff.
I do it for as long as I can physically stand it, but they still have dust.

I should start making little cedar trays to sit the bags in. That would be brilliant. It'd suck making them though. :)

shilala 06-10-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big a (Post 416947)
+1 on his beads. I have been using them a couple weeks in the vino and even with it running all day it is still holding right at 64-65%. I have not had to charge them yet. Not to thread jack or anything but if anyone has some tips/tricks on how to charge them in a vino please PM me and fill me in.

Make sure your drain is plugged in your vino. If it's not, fail will come in buckets.
If you don't have a copy of the instructions, just pm me your email and I'll send them. :tu

Waynegro1 06-10-2009 12:02 PM

Scott is the MAN!!

OLS 06-10-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 417612)
Yeah, it's dust. It sucks, I hate it.
:)

Thanks, Scott, I have placed the bags in little molded plastic shipping inserts that are molded to fit whatever cheap, Chinese item they were holding upright in their original packaging. No grit on the loose, anymore. I figured that whatever dance you did to make the dust problem inherent in bulk bead shipments a non-issue was taking out most of the grit to begin with and it would eventually go away. The reason I publicly humiliated you was.........
On the performance side, They have not ruined my cigars yet! :banger

shilala 06-10-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 417639)
Thanks, Scott, I have placed the bags in little molded plastic shipping inserts that are molded to fit whatever cheap, Chinese item they were holding upright in their original packaging. No grit on the loose, anymore. I figured that whatever dance you did to make the dust problem inherent in bulk bead shipments a non-issue was taking out most of the grit to begin with and it would eventually go away. The reason I publicly humiliated you was.........
On the performance side, They have not ruined my cigars yet! :banger

Hey, I publicly humiliate myself on a regular basis. It's a gift.
How bout a pic of the holder thingy you're talking about? It may stimulate other ideas on how to defeat the dust suckage.