Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   A Beginner's Guide to....Bourbon (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12699)

WildBlueSooner 03-25-2009 07:55 PM

Re: A Beginner's Guide to....Bourbon

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalMan (Post 303991)
For starters I would recommend 1792, Elmer T Lee, and Woodford Reserve.

:tpd: Good choices!

ade06 03-25-2009 08:43 PM

Drinking on some Even Williams and coke right now!

JohnnyFlake 03-26-2009 10:21 AM

Elmer T. Lee, JTS Brown and Four Roses are perhaps the finest introductory Bourbons out there, in IMHO!

Heatmiser 03-26-2009 01:15 PM

Lot's of good choices out there. Here are some of my favorites:

Elmer T Lee
Old Rip Van Winkle (or Pappy Van Winkle) - any expression as they all are fantastic
George T Stagg
Old Forester 75th Anniversary
WL Weller
Rittenhouse Rye (straight rye whiskey - not bourbon)
Four Roses Single Batch

I drink all my whiskey neat but sometimes add a few drops of water to the higher proof ones (ie. George T Stagg)

TripleF 03-26-2009 01:53 PM

Sean- Great topic!! :tu

Like you I've never been into the whole scotch/whisky/bourbon thing until just recently when I purchase a small bottle of Maker's Mark. I shared it with my bro in-law and fellow CA member Paul (CBI_2). We both agreed that it was smooooooooooooooth, especially after the 2nd bottle.

We drank it poured over a few cubes of ice and it has a distinct vanilla taste.

Not that I'm all that experienced in bourbon, but I highly recommend trying a bottle especially when it can be hand for under $15.00

Keep us posted!!

Whee 03-26-2009 02:06 PM

I know it may have seemed redundant, but I really didn't know high end from low end, smooth from a little kick. I thought this would be a good way to get to those that the bourbon heads would recommend for starters. I can then explore some of these others as I develop a pallette for it.

They sound fantatstic, but I just never developed the taste for anything else, but want to expand my horizons.

I want to do this for other liqours as well, but will post those up late ron down the line.

Thanks to everyone who threw out a recommendation.

SmokinApe 03-28-2009 08:54 PM

Elmer T. Lee if you can find it.... if not Maker's Mark...

BeerAdvocate 03-28-2009 09:50 PM

Woodford Reserve

TheManWithNoName 03-30-2009 11:20 PM

I'll have to second Jim Beam, with an ice cube or two.

Whee 04-01-2009 09:45 PM

I had a bottle of Knob Creek which, when I first tried it straight up, made my hair stand up. (which is what prompted this thread.)

But, I filled a rocks glass with ice, poured in a finger and a half's worth, (I know, I know) and gave it a shot. Hair still stood up, but, noticed some flavors this time before my eyes began to water.

I am going to pick up some of the aforementioned bottles and go from there.

Practice, practice, practice...right?:al

Pitmaster 04-03-2009 03:36 PM

Well I am sre this will cause controversy, denial and distain for some but according to Sir Jeremy Bell (http://www.maninaskirt.com/), professional whiskey taster (scotch, works for the Chivas people at this time) NO whiskey is blended to be consumed neat, scotch or bourbon. In the tastings he puts on ( I have been to two) he has you taste straight up and then after adding a teaspoon of water. He then explains how the water releases esters in the liquor which you can see as little lines when you hod it up to the light after the water is added. To my pallet a little water or some ice ALWAYS tates better, he explains that the US is really the only pace people drink whisky this way everywhere else is a with a bit of water. Try it and see what you like better.
Mike

lightning9191 04-03-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster (Post 319049)
He then explains how the water releases esters in the liquor which you can see as little lines when you hod it up to the light after the water is added.

That's not the esters....that's just the water and alcohol mixing. You can see the same effect by adding water to methanol or ethanol. But I do agree that adding a little water can open up a whiskey or a whisky. I try it with and without water and drink it how I prefer it.

JohnnyFlake 04-03-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster (Post 319049)
Well I am sre this will cause controversy, denial and distain for some but according to Sir Jeremy Bell (http://www.maninaskirt.com/), professional whiskey taster (scotch, works for the Chivas people at this time) NO whiskey is blended to be consumed neat, scotch or bourbon. In the tastings he puts on ( I have been to two) he has you taste straight up and then after adding a teaspoon of water. He then explains how the water releases esters in the liquor which you can see as little lines when you hod it up to the light after the water is added. To my pallet a little water or some ice ALWAYS tates better, he explains that the US is really the only pace people drink whisky this way everywhere else is a with a bit of water. Try it and see what you like better.
Mike

I've been preaching that for years. One jigger of bourbon, scotch, whiskey or whatever and one tablespoon of chilled spring water, swirl and then let sit for a few minutes before enjoying!

smokin5 04-03-2009 08:02 PM

THE best cigar I've found that goes with Evan Williams Single Barrel
is the Punch Gran Puro Pico Bonito.

Normally, I'm a Makers Mark kind of guy ("Mothers Milk"). Lots of smokes pair very well with it - Padron 2000, Perdomo Reserve Cabinet Series Cameroon, Perdomo Lot 826 Slow-Aged, Maria Mancini Magic Mountain, Gurkha Fuerte, Don Pepin Garcia Black Label (Cuban Classic), the list goes on....

Oh, and while it probably doesn't even need to be said, I'll say it:
The ONLY way to truly enjoy a bourbon is neat or with a couple of ice cubes.

If you have to mix it, it probably isn't worth drinking.:D

tooomanycolors 04-18-2009 11:48 AM

woodford reserve is great

Whee 07-03-2009 04:54 PM

Well i took a long time to get around to it, but I made a purchase. I have to admit, I had some Knob Creek here but after this thread decided to go out and buy what seemed to be a popular first choice.

And the winner is....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...dandcohiba.jpg

Woodford Reserve.:ss The above is my feeble attempt to stage a nice photo. That monkey glass looks so familiar.....

I have broken the rule and put some ice in it at first. Still getting a very strong burn as it goes down, but then picked up some smoky flavor on the after taste. Still nursing through it, but at least now I can taste some flavors and not just the burn.

Thanks for all the opinions and help. Time to start thread #2.

smokin5 07-03-2009 09:47 PM

Good for you!

I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998 today -
on sale for $23, so I couldn't say no.

Clampdown 07-04-2009 07:21 AM

Pappy Van Winkle, any will do.

AD720 07-04-2009 07:27 AM

Good call on the Woodford.

I'm not a huge bourbon guy (more of a scotch man) but for a nice, smooth and balanced bourbon that is great for beginners I would recommened Basil Haydens. It is a little pricey but man is it smooth.

Volt 07-04-2009 09:19 AM

Been drinking bourbon awhile... As with cigars, no right or wrong, just what hits ya.

Evan Williams 10 year old Single Barrell is my goto. Mild bite, fairly smokey, easy on the wallett.

Maker's Mark is my bar bourbon as most don't carry EVSB. A bit more bite.

Pappy Van Winkle - liquid crack. When I get rich I'll just drink this night and day. 10 out of 10.