Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

jrw 05-01-2017 07:10 PM

Re: What are you reading?

The Burial Hour, Jeffery Deaver, part of the Lincoln Rhyme series about a quadriplegic forensics investigator.

MarkinAZ 05-01-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 2122739)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

That's an excellent read Dan:tu

RevSmoke 05-02-2017 06:45 PM

Brotherhood Chronicles: The Hunters, by John Flanagan.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

cthulnado 05-03-2017 05:41 AM

Finished up "Thrawn", which was fantastic and have started on "Ring" which was the basis for Ringu/The Ring horror films.

jrw 05-08-2017 03:55 PM

Beartown by Fredrick Blackman who wrote A Man Called Ove that someone (do t make me scroll back haha) recently read. Hockey and crime. Dark but enjoyable.

elderboy02 05-08-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrw (Post 2123435)
Beartown by Fredrick Blackman who wrote A Man Called Ove that someone (do t make me scroll back haha) recently read. Hockey and crime. Dark but enjoyable.

That was me.

Now reading Thunderbird by my favorite author Chuck Wendig

RelaxingSmoke 05-08-2017 05:23 PM

Transcendence. It's about transcendental meditation which I thought was BS but there's a lot of science here that makes things interesting. One thing for sure - TONS of celebrities are into this and attribute this to helping them which is interesting and makes me wary at the same time.

jrw 05-08-2017 07:45 PM

Oops, I missed the evil autocorrect on my post above--the author of Beartown is Fredrick Backman, not Blackman. Read it, it's deservedly on the bestseller list.

pnoon 05-08-2017 07:59 PM

Edge by Jeffery Deaver.
His most notable novel is The Bone Collector. Made into a movie starring Denzel Washington.

jonumberone 05-09-2017 06:35 AM

Recently finished Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. After the Black Sails finale I thought I should reread it considering the last time I read it was grade school.

Working on The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson and have The Great Bridge by David McCullough on deck.

jrw 05-10-2017 02:15 PM

The Track of Sand, Andrea Camilleri. (Andrea is a man's name in Italian, btw). Inspector Montalbano series is set in a small town in Sicily, there are about a dozen of these. Montalbano is a sharp dresser and a lover of fine foods, who has to deal with Italian bureaucracy and culture to solve his cases. There are smugglers, mafia, swindlers, and a recurring cast of quirky supporting characters including his girlfriend who lives hours away in another city and who he is always arguing with over the phone due to misunderstandings. These are very witty and amusing books and great fun.

jrw 05-11-2017 11:01 AM

Song of the Lion, Anne Hillerman. Continuing the series begun by her father Tony about Navajo police on the reservation. Insight into the Navajo Way is always a big part of the story.

elderboy02 05-11-2017 11:36 AM

B.S. Incorporated

It is supposed to be like The Office and Office Space.

jrw 05-12-2017 06:12 PM

The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie. I think it was Porchdweller who posted this before. Thanks, good read.

Porch Dweller 05-12-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrw (Post 2123788)
The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie. I think it was Porchdweller who posted this before. Thanks, good read.

I'm glad you like it! To be honest, I only picked it up on the recommendation of some friends who - like me - are not-so-patiently waiting for GRRM to get off his rear and finish The Winds of Winter. It didn't take long to draw me in and I finished it plus the two sequels quite quickly. Abercrombie does "gray" characters extremely well.

jrw 05-12-2017 07:59 PM

I ordered the sequel Before They Are Hanged from the library today.

Weelok 05-12-2017 10:58 PM

Preacher animated graphic novel. Finished Vol 1 and now onto 2. Basically these are just the comic books collected into a graphic novel with 12 comics per book.

I'm a comic geek as well although been out of them for many years and while away, they went up to $3.99 a book!

elderboy02 05-17-2017 01:11 PM

Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign

I am about 75% finished and I am really enjoying the book.

Porch Dweller 05-17-2017 03:35 PM

Infinity Born by Douglas E. Richards

elderboy02 05-17-2017 05:07 PM

Plrknib by Alex Bernstein.

This takes place in the comedy clubs of Cincinnati in the 80's