Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Flying with a cutter. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45672)

Ender 05-17-2011 05:20 AM

Flying with a cutter.

Anyone here have luck flying with a cigar cutter without the security taking it away?

emopunker2004 05-17-2011 05:25 AM

Re: Flying with a cutter.

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/tsa...ited_items.php
3rd item under personal items
torch lighters are prohibited

kelmac07 05-17-2011 05:32 AM

Pack it in your checked baggage.

GreekGodX 05-17-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 1265318)
Anyone here have luck flying with a cigar cutter without the security taking it away?

Put it in your checked luggage to avoid any problems :2 Technically it isn't a prohibited item but it is how the particular TSA agent interprets their regulations. So they could let you go by or they could take it. If you aren't taking any checked luggage then I can give you my $3 cutter that I bought for my recent vacation and if they take it no big deal. For a $3 cutter it worked great..

jonumberone 05-17-2011 05:37 AM

Flown with my cutter many times, both carry on and checked.
Never had a problem with it.
The only item I had a problem with was a metallic Punch.
I couldn't convince the TSA agent that it wasn't some type of bullet. :bh
Had to toss the punch but they let me keep the cutter.

Ender 05-17-2011 08:23 AM

Thanks. Christos, the one I'm bringing is a cheapy so I guess I'm not worried, just curious. I don't have any checked baggage so I'm gonna chance it. Also, for the lighter I'm gonna pick up a cheep Ronson from Walmart and chance that too unless anyone thinks it's absolutely not worth trying.

mikemets 05-17-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 1265458)
Thanks. Christos, the one I'm bringing is a cheapy so I guess I'm not worried, just curious. I don't have any checked baggage so I'm gonna chance it. Also, for the lighter I'm gonna pick up a cheep Ronson from Walmart and chance that too unless anyone thinks it's absolutely not worth trying.

Do not chance the lighter.

markem 05-17-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 1265458)

Pre-cut your sticks. Won't harm them and you can store them back in your humi with no issues if you don't smoke them. Cutter issue is solved if you arrange to not need it.

markem 05-17-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemets (Post 1265462)
Do not chance the lighter.

Certainly do not chance an expensive lighter.

Another alternative if to take the cedar insert from some cigar boxes and break them in to spills (don't forget to pack the spills). Use matches to light the spills and then use the spills to light the cigar. Avoids the match smell/taste if you bothers you.

jayro75 05-17-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1265328)

This! I always put a cheap lighter and cutter in my checked baggage and have never had a problem domestically or internationally.

DennisP 05-17-2011 08:53 AM

I've carried a cutter many, many times, never once has it ever been questioned. I don't take my expensive ones just in case I get a clueless TSA agent, but never had a problem and probably been through security well over 50 times with one.

I used to carry a triple burner torch w/o problems as well. When it broke I stopped doing that. Those aren't permitted however, only soft flame lighters.

357 05-17-2011 09:07 AM

I wouldn't chance the lighter unless you're trying to get selected for "additional screening".

BigCat 05-17-2011 09:11 AM

I landed in vegas a couple weeks ago and bought a bic for a dollar at the airport right when I got off the plane. It served its purpose just fine for a weekend. Of course, I forgot to take it out of my bag on the way back and they didn't notice it in security.

fid 05-17-2011 09:35 AM

I rarely fly, but with all the inconsistencies among airports and individual TSA agents I wouldn't chance anything nice or expensive. I worked courthouse security for a few years and cutters were on the prohibited list because of the blades. However, we never confiscated anything unless the person was unwilling to take it back to their car. I thought that was a good compromise, but you probably wont get that option in the airport.

Ender 05-17-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 1265474)
Pre-cut your sticks. Won't harm them and you can store them back in your humi with no issues if you don't smoke them. Cutter issue is solved if you arrange to not need it.

Holy crap that's brilliant! I don't know why I didn't think of that. That's exactly what I'll do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 1265497)
I wouldn't chance the lighter unless you're trying to get selected for "additional screening".

If I bring a lighter it'll just be a cheapy that I won't care about losing.

Thanks for the impute everyone.

aich75013 05-17-2011 10:13 AM

I accidentally had a small cheap pocket knife in my backpack when we went to Disney last year.
The TSA agent gave me the option of mailing it to myself.
I apologized for having it (I hadn't used that backpack in over a year and forgot it was there) and explained that the shipping would be more expensive than the knife itself.

Last time I went to Vegas, I put a cheap cutter in my carry on inside of my travel humidor.

Ashcan Bill 05-17-2011 10:19 AM

I take a soft flame bic, along with a cheap cutter or punch in my carry-on and so far I've never had a problem. I usually just toss them in the Cigar Caddy with the cigars.

As others have said though, I'd never take anything expensive that I wouldn't want to lose. You just never know what these TSA people will do.

tsolomon 05-17-2011 10:44 AM

I always put my cutter in my checked luggage and never had a problem. My wife carries one in her purse and has been stopped only once by TSA and had to explain to them that it was a cigar cutter. They thought it was really neat and showed it to the rest of the TSA staff and then let her get on the plane with it. :D

Remo 05-17-2011 11:59 AM

"Flying with a cutter" kind of like "Running with scissors" :r

loki 05-17-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1265328)

why? i've flown to texas, pa, dc, and jamaica with it in my carry on