Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Anyone been to South Africa? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31980)

AAlmeter 05-13-2010 03:03 PM

Anyone been to South Africa?

I got engaged a few months ago, and one place we're considering is South Africa....but I'm a little leery because of the crime situation.

Has anyone been there that can offer some guidance?

The Poet 05-13-2010 03:12 PM

Re: Anyone been to South Africa?

Never been, but I'd suggest you avoid District 9. :D

pinotguy 05-13-2010 03:26 PM

Yes - I spent three weeks there back in 2000. Managed to see quite a bit of the country. Started in Jo-'burg and, fortunately, did not spend a lot of time there. Just went through customs at the airport and rented cars. Drove north into the Free State and stayed for a week on a game preserve. Then drove to Durban in KZN for a few days. Flew from Durban to Cape Town and spent the remaining time in the wine country, just north of the city. It is a stunning country. Certainly it pays to be aware and cautious as a tourist. RSA does have its fair share of crime but to be honest, I'd feel less safe in Mexico these days than I would in most of Southern Africa.

Another country you might consider visiting, as an alternative, is Namibia. I was fortunate enough to go there last fall on a hunting safari. A lot less people and equally as beautiful.

Not sure when you're thinking about going, but I'd try and avoid July and August of this year because of the World Cup. Airfare, accommodation, car rental, etc. are sky-high right now.

PM me if you'd like to talk more. I love Africa and spend most of my waking moments thinking about getting back.

pnoon 05-13-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinotguy (Post 857981)
Not sure when you're thinking about going, but I'd try and avoid July and August of this year because of the World Cup.

The World Cup runs from June 11-July 11

AAlmeter 05-13-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinotguy (Post 857981)
Yes - I spent three weeks there back in 2000. Managed to see quite a bit of the country. Started in Jo-'burg and, fortunately, did not spend a lot of time there. Just went through customs at the airport and rented cars. Drove north into the Free State and stayed for a week on a game preserve. Then drove to Durban in KZN for a few days. Flew from Durban to Cape Town and spent the remaining time in the wine country, just north of the city. It is a stunning country. Certainly it pays to be aware and cautious as a tourist. RSA does have its fair share of crime but to be honest, I'd feel less safe in Mexico these days than I would in most of Southern Africa.

Another country you might consider visiting, as an alternative, is Namibia. I was fortunate enough to go there last fall on a hunting safari. A lot less people and equally as beautiful.

Not sure when you're thinking about going, but I'd try and avoid July and August of this year because of the World Cup. Airfare, accommodation, car rental, etc. are sky-high right now.

PM me if you'd like to talk more. I love Africa and spend most of my waking moments thinking about getting back.

Pinotguy, much thanks...your insights have already been valuable. I'll definitely be PMing you in the future.

BTW...We're likely looking at going sometime during the summer of 2011

Genetic Defect 05-13-2010 03:46 PM

I had a car that was assembled there, does that help? :tf

hotreds 05-13-2010 03:50 PM

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1008.html

Likely you're familiar with this, if not, hope it helps!

Eleven 05-13-2010 05:32 PM

Fookin Prawns!

Don Fernando 05-14-2010 01:08 AM

I believe Safariguy has been there, you might want to send him a pm