Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Mike Starr of Alice in Chains Dies (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43418)

Starscream 03-08-2011 08:04 PM

Mike Starr of Alice in Chains Dies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...in-chains-dies

Quote:

Mike Starr, the former Alice in Chains bass player who went public with his drug problems on a reality TV show, has been found dead nine years after the band's singer died of an overdose.

The body of the 44-year-old Starr was discovered on Tuesday in a house in Salt Lake City according to police.

Starr left Alice in Chains shortly after the release of their breakthrough 1992 album Dirt and before they went on to enjoy greater success during the heyday of Seattle grunge.

He was arrested in Salt Lake City three weeks ago on an outstanding warrant related to an earlier drugs charge, and was also carrying unauthorised prescription medications.

TMZ, which broke the news of Starr's death, quoted his father as saying: "It's a terrible shock and tragedy."

A spokesman for the Salt Lake City police separtment said that officers responded to call about a possible body at a residence in the city centre earlier on Tuesday afternoon.

"There is nothing to indicate that this was foul play by another individual," police said.

Sad. One of the great bands of the 90s.

kelmac07 03-08-2011 08:09 PM

Re: Mike Starr of Alice in Chains Dies

Sad news indeed. I met AIC many years ago on the Facelift tour and got Layne, Jerry, Mike, and Seans autograph and they posed for pictures and just shot the sh*t. All were great, down to earth guys. Sad news indeed.

hscmit 03-08-2011 08:16 PM

sad news

BC-Axeman 03-08-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starscream (Post 1199125)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...in-chains-dies

Sad. One of the great bands of the 90s.

One of my favorites. I wish the band could have (can't find the words) made more albums.

MajorCaptSilly 03-08-2011 08:30 PM

Terrible news. I thought he was in recovery.

MCS

icehog3 03-08-2011 08:36 PM

Truly a shame, he was a troubled soul, but with a heart of gold when he was clean. R.I.P. Mr. Starr.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...hog3/starr.jpg

Stephen 03-08-2011 08:59 PM

AIC and Nirvana were by far my favorite bands to emerge from the early 90's rock scene. I still can't believe it's been almost 17 years since Cobain's death, and 9 years since Stayley's (sad and ironic they died on the same day). Didn't I read somewhere that Starr was just arrested a couple of weeks ago for possession? Shame.

Ogre 03-08-2011 09:02 PM

Damn, That sucks!!!!!

Bill86 03-08-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1199201)
AIC and Nirvana were by far my favorite bands to emerge from the early 90's rock scene. I still can't believe it's been almost 17 years since Cobain's death, and 9 years since Stayley's (sad and ironic they died on the same day). Didn't I read somewhere that Starr was just arrested a couple of weeks ago for possession? Shame.

I hear ya, the only good grunge band to make it out of the 90's alive was Soundgarden but they broke up. Now their back again and so are STP. Hopefully they do better on their next cds.

Starscream 03-08-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1199201)

Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam (they were good for their first album at least), and STP.

icehog3 03-08-2011 09:14 PM

AIC was my second fave after Soundgarden.

MedicCook 03-08-2011 09:21 PM

AIC had some of the best vocal harmonies with Layne & Jerry.

RIP Mike.

Stephen 03-08-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1199207)
I hear ya, the only good grunge band to make it out of the 90's alive was Soundgarden but they broke up. Now their back again and so are STP. Hopefully they do better on their next cds.

I'd gladly trade Pearl Jam and RHCP for Nirvana and AIC. I really do think that Rock died on April 5, 1994. What filled the void of AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, etc.? Green Day? Creed? Nickleback? Don't even get me started on nu-metal...RATM; I loved them because of what they did, and hated them because all these other posers emulated what they did, and not nearly as well. *end rant*

icehog3 03-08-2011 09:36 PM

I love what Dave Grohl did after Cobain decided to kill himself, though...Foo Fighters rock.

Stephen 03-09-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1199263)
I love what Dave Grohl did after Cobain decided to kill himself, though...Foo Fighters rock.

I liked them, and I also loved that they never took themselves too seriously.:banger

tobii3 03-09-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1199259)
I really do think that Rock died on April 5, 1994.

Nah. Grunge died. THANK G-D.

That and sales of flannel shirts and Chuck Taylor's ended overnight.

Without a doubt, the WORST period in "Rock" history. Proof? How many of those bands are together right now?

Exactly.

BC-Axeman 03-09-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 1199475)
Nah. Grunge died. THANK G-D.

Without a doubt, the WORST period in "Rock" history. Proof? How many of those bands are together right now?

Exactly.

One word..."Disco"
Oh yeah, another... "Punk"
We might include Boy Bands but those will never die as long as there are teeny-bopper girls.

Jbailey 03-09-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 1199475)

Chuck Taylor's were popular before grunge and will continue to be.

Very sad news Andy.

R.I.P. Mike Starr

kickerb 03-09-2011 07:35 AM

so sad, RIP.

Stephen 03-09-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbailey (Post 1199513)
Chuck Taylor's were popular before grunge and will continue to be.

This.