Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Lucky break, no burned down house (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48188)

floydpink 08-08-2011 03:45 PM

Lucky break, no burned down house

Rule 1. NEVER leave your roaster unattended.

I knew this but ignored it today when I was a few minutes into a 20 minute roast on my Behmor.

I walked inside to answer a Skype and it took me a few minutes to get back to my porch which was completely engulfed in smoke when I did.:sl

I must have inserted the drum wrong because it was not turning and the beans were as charred black as I have ever seen and the chaff was probably close to fire.

Scared some sense into me, and the roaster performed well on a follow up roast that was closely watched.

Fordman4ever 08-08-2011 05:02 PM

Re: Lucky break, no burned down house

Glad everyone and everything is OK.

Drez 08-08-2011 05:05 PM

Wow Pete glad it's all ok. Scary stuff!!!

WittyUserName 08-08-2011 05:11 PM

Glad you and the roaster are safe!!

longknocker 08-08-2011 05:12 PM

Glad All Is Well, Pete!:tu Lots Of Problems Leaving Fire Unattended. :2

floydpink 08-08-2011 05:29 PM

Yeah, the Behmor's famed smoke suppression system had a bit more than it could handle.

I took it out to the workbench and opened it up to check everything out and it was a good chance to give it a good cleaning anyway.

I'll never walk away from a roaster again.

Smokin Gator 08-08-2011 06:10 PM

I know squat about roasting... but glad nothing worse happened brother!

icehog3 08-08-2011 10:25 PM

So glad it wasn't worse, Pete. :tu

TBone 08-09-2011 01:23 AM

Your a lucky man Pete...

novasurf 08-21-2011 12:56 PM

Pete....I'm am happy that it did not turn out for the worse in your case. You may be aware that I lost my home to a fire last September, (not due to roasting). We have not even started rebuilding. So do take care up front.

So fellas....please leave no roaster unattended. Clean out chaff collectors (a popular source for ignition).

And no RUI (roasting under the influence) ever. :D

germantown rob 08-21-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novasurf (Post 1381452)
Pete....I'm am happy that it did not turn out for the worse in your case. You may be aware that I lost my home to a fire last September, (not due to roasting). We have not even started rebuilding. So do take care up front.

So fellas....please leave no roaster unattended. Clean out chaff collectors (a popular source for ignition).

Well I have roasted under the influence but those roasts turn out crappy.

Having a CO2 extinguisher is a must for roasting for the just in case situations, it won't ruin your roaster but will save you from a bigger fire.

floydpink 08-21-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novasurf (Post 1381452)

I had heard the bad news Norm and am glad it wasn't worse.

Although it wasn't funny at all, your FB updates mentioned you were drinking hotel coffee at one point and I felt extra bad for you.

Speaking of chaff, the incident prompted me to take the sides off the Behmor and I was amazed at the amount of chaff inside the roaster that I removed with an air compressor.

I won't roast under the influence because with my luck, I'd end up with roasted nuts.