Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Help with french press (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54615)

smitty81 03-27-2012 09:16 AM

Help with french press

Just got a bodum 4 cup press and used it for the first time today.

It said to add a scoop for every cup. So I added 4 scoops.

Got the water hot but not boiling. Poured it in with the ground up beans and stirred.

Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then pressed it.

I like strong coffee but this was almost to strong. It was so strong that I had a hard time tasting the actual flavor of the coffee. It wasn't bitter though.

I did use a coarse grind on the beans but my grinder is a cheapy and there were some smaller fragments of coffee like one would use in an auto drip.

Is it because of those smaller fragments of coffee that it's so strong or should I just use 3 scoops instead of 4?

I must say though, DAMN I GOT A CAFFINE HIGH. It's been ages since I have gotten a caffine high from coffee.

galaga 03-27-2012 09:22 AM

Re: Help with french press

Just scale back on the amount of coffee until you get the strength you want.

smitty81 03-27-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaga (Post 1601282)

ok thanks. The little particles are fine?

I thought about getting one of those fine mest baskets or tea balls to put the coffee in to shake out the fine stuff.

Won't worry about it if its fine though.

forgop 03-27-2012 09:37 AM

I think the reason you want more of a coarse grind is because it makes it easier to press the coffee down. If it's really fine, it'll cause more pressure to build up, while a coarse grind will allow the liquid to pass through the grounds easier. If you can press it and it's not ending up in your cup, I'd say you're fine.

T.G 03-27-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1601283)
ok thanks. The little particles are fine?

I thought about getting one of those fine mest baskets or tea balls to put the coffee in to shake out the fine stuff.

Won't worry about it if its fine though.

You're talking about the fine "coffee dust" that mostly of settles to the bottom of the cup, right? That's normal, nothing to be alarmed about.

smitty81 03-27-2012 09:54 AM

ok, thanks guys. Ill just try 3 scoops next time.

Mattso3000 03-27-2012 11:28 AM

Shorter infusion time might also help. Try 3 minutes instead of 5. When you find your groove with it, nothing beats a french press for a good cup a joe IMO.

Chainsaw13 03-27-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattso3000 (Post 1601359)
Shorter infusion time might also help. Try 3 minutes instead of 5. When you find your groove with it, nothing beats a french press for a good cup a joe IMO.

I've yet to try a 3 minute steep. I was always told 4 minutes. Been loving the way the coffee comes out that way so don't want to mess with perfection.

Smitty, I get that little dust at the bottom of my cup too. That's with my grinder (Bodum) set on the coarsest grind. Like Adam said, nothing to worry about.

How long before you start home roasting? :D

mmblz 03-27-2012 11:35 AM

For my 4-cup Bodum, I use 3 scoops or a bit more (3 1/3).
In theory I steep for 4 minutes but often I'm busy and it stays longer.
I haven't noticed much difference between steeping 4 minutes and steeping 15 minutes.
The number of scoops is much more sensitive/noticeable.

Mattso3000 03-27-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1601362)
I've yet to try a 3 minute steep. I was always told 4 minutes.

Yup, 4 minutes is perfect for me:tu

awsmith4 03-27-2012 11:37 AM

I was just going to tell you to 'man up' but since everyone else is giving you legit advice I'll go that route. :D

The fine dust left at the bottom of your cup is part of using a French Press. I experimented with filtering the pressed coffee through a gold filter into my cup but it lost some flavor and body. I agree with everyone that you will need to experiment on what ratio you need but THIS THREAD is where I started.

Dave128 03-27-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaga (Post 1601282)

Took a few tries, but I found that this method worked for me with my Bodum.

TXRebel 03-27-2012 04:39 PM

French Press Math