Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oliva O robusto (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9962)

karmaz00 02-09-2009 08:14 PM

Oliva O robusto

well this is no review, but i had to share...i have a few of theses in the humi...im a huge fan of the oliva line...but the O not to sure...it was a little boring for me, but thats ME...the cigar was perfect in every way except for the flavors..just wasent getting anything off of it good.
the ash i tapped once, and that was because i had to, it was at the band and still standing, simply awesome. the draw and burn were also great.
but, the flavors just not there for me...i will smoke another one, to see if that changes me, but other then that, flawless.
anyone else in the same boat?

Totemic 02-09-2009 08:37 PM

Re: Oliva O robusto

Yep, feel the same way about the Oliva O's.
Perfect draw, burn, etc... but the flavor is just a bit on the blah side.
I love the Serie 'G' Maduros and the V's (and the V Maduros) but for some odd reason, the O just don't do anything for me.

acarr 02-09-2009 08:58 PM

I concur!

groogs 02-09-2009 09:00 PM

I like the few Oliva O's I have smoked, but that was a few years ago, and I know my tastes have changed since then.

mikey burr 02-09-2009 10:26 PM

have you tried the O maddies? super tasty :ss one of my favs in the oliva line next to the V's and the master blend

papajohn67 02-09-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmaz00 (Post 225928)
well this is no review, but i had to share...i have a few of theses in the humi...im a huge fan of the oliva line...but the O not to sure...it was a little boring for me, but thats ME...the cigar was perfect in every way except for the flavors..just wasent getting anything off of it good.
the ash i tapped once, and that was because i had to, it was at the band and still standing, simply awesome. the draw and burn were also great.
but, the flavors just not there for me...i will smoke another one, to see if that changes me, but other then that, flawless.
anyone else in the same boat?

I'll be less than gentle....IMHO the newer "O" just plain sucks. Give me the old Bold line, the O Omni Classic, cigars they tossed in the crapper when they came out with their replacement.

Just my opinion but since I still have a healthy supply of the discontinued line and have smoked the newer "O" line I will stand my ground on this one.

rizzle 02-10-2009 07:54 AM

The O I had I didn't like at all. I still have one with a maduro wrapper to give a try and if I don't like it I'll be done with that cigar.

Volt 02-10-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papajohn67 (Post 226347)
I'll be less than gentle....IMHO the newer "O" just plain sucks. Give me the old Bold line, the O Omni Classic, cigars they tossed in the crapper when they came out with their replacement.

Just my opinion but since I still have a healthy supply of the discontinued line and have smoked the newer "O" line I will stand my ground on this one.

we just scored some of the O Bold line.... Just what you said, Awesome. And while Oliva can keep saying the blend is the same, I say there is a huge difference.

BengalMan 02-10-2009 08:14 AM

Check out the O maduro's if the O line is too bland for you, the maduro wrapper really kicks up the flavor.

Jsaucedo 02-10-2009 08:24 AM

The Problem I have had with the Serie O is that it always tends to leave a Coppery metallic after taste. Not fun, when you are trying to enjoy a nice drink or cup of coffee with your smoke.

BengalMan 02-10-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsaucedo (Post 226744)
The Problem I have had with the Serie O is that it always tends to leave a Coppery metallic after taste. Not fun, when you are trying to enjoy a nice drink or cup of coffee with your smoke.

Hmm, I smoke a ton of O's and have never had the flavor that you describe. Everyone's taste buds are different, smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :ss

borndead1 02-10-2009 09:16 AM

Weird....I like the newer Os. I do prefer the old "Grand Cameroon" blend over the Serie G though.

papajohn67 02-10-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalMan (Post 226812)
Hmm, I smoke a ton of O's and have never had the flavor that you describe. Everyone's taste buds are different, smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :ss

Obviously tastes differ among cigar fans but I find it odd that almost anyone I have shared the Oliva discontinued line of cigars with have clearly favored the old blends over the newer O line. Heck maybe it's them sitting in the humi for 3 or 4years, or perhaps it's just a yearning for a nice Bold Ole. I will say that online yesterday I scored a box of Oliva Omni Classics (6x50) and could not have been happier. :ss Smoked one from my collection a couple of weeks ago and it was great!! Blows the newer O replacement line right out of the water.

Course this is all just my humble opinion.

BengalMan 02-10-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papajohn67 (Post 227270)
Obviously tastes differ among cigar fans but I find it odd that almost anyone I have shared the Oliva discontinued line of cigars with have clearly favored the old blends over the newer O line. Heck maybe it's them sitting in the humi for 3 or 4years, or perhaps it's just a yearning for a nice Bold Ole. I will say that online yesterday I scored a box of Oliva Omni Classics (6x50) and could not have been happier. :ss Smoked one from my collection a couple of weeks ago and it was great!! Blows the newer O replacement line right out of the water.

Course this is all just my humble opinion.

We heard you earlier in the thread. :) We all know your an O Bold and O Classic whore.

TimS 02-10-2009 01:58 PM

I agree with Ian. You can't beat the G maduro. It is one of our best selling cigars. Great flavor and under 5 bucks.

TimS 02-10-2009 02:00 PM

Ian, will the Nub Maduro be out for the our tasting on the 26th?

Tim

papajohn67 02-10-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalMan (Post 227308)
We heard you earlier in the thread. :) We all know your an O Bold and O Classic whore.

Ok you spanked me....this old Oliva "whore" will now go stand in the corner and take some time out. :tg

Thrak 02-10-2009 03:29 PM

I'm smoking one right now... a little mild compared to what I've been trying lately, but not as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

granted, I never tried the "old" O so I have nothing to compare it to in that regard.

hsmunoz 02-10-2009 03:52 PM

I really enjoy the O maduro in a Robusto. I think the flavors are there, with a definite sweetness that I enjoy. I have some pretty good stock in the ol Humi, and I never hesitate to grab one of these, especially when I want to know I will have a good smoke.

TripleF 02-10-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey burr (Post 226296)
have you tried the O maddies? super tasty :ss one of my favs in the oliva line next to the V's and the master blend

:tpd: Have to agree!! Love the O Maddies!! :tu