Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Tim Tebow CHOOSES the Jets! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54481)

emopunker2004 03-21-2012 07:47 PM

Tim Tebow CHOOSES the Jets!

I find it interesting that in the end Denver let him choose between the Jets and the Jags. He chose the Jets. I wonder how all the local Tebow lovers are going to respond to this one...

Taki 03-21-2012 07:51 PM

Re: Tim Tebow CHOOSES the Jets!

Tebow sucks! I will just say that! He will never be a starting QB in the NFL....however wait till Sanchez throws 1 pick and we will see all the Tebow fans in NY come out of the woodwork crying for him to start! Wish he would have ended up in FL though....would have been better for him than NY, he will get eaten alive in NY!

MedicCook 03-21-2012 08:10 PM

Now the Jets have 2 QB's that can't complete a pass.

emopunker2004 03-21-2012 08:12 PM

I won't go as far to say he sucks. I will say his skill set was suited better to college than the NFL. However, I think he could have put asses in the seat and sold alot of merch for the Jags. :2

smitty81 03-21-2012 08:36 PM

Dont know how much truth there is to this but i just herd that the jets didnt follow through with the trade. I also herd the rams are lookin at him......can anyone else confirm?

Pseudosacred 03-21-2012 08:40 PM

Anything is better than Sanchez. The Jets do need to shape up. On paper, they are stacked. On the field, they suck. It's mostly because Shaun Greene is a bum and Sanchez is well...awful. If they put Tebow in an offense that suits him, he will do wonders.

emopunker2004 03-21-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1596514)
Dont know how much truth there is to this but i just herd that the jets didnt follow through with the trade. I also herd the rams are lookin at him......can anyone else confirm?

Jets were not going to follow through because they would have had to pay some money to the Broncos based on Tebows contract. They paid half, the Jags offered too. Denver let him pick between them and chose NY

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...013648432.html

icehog3 03-21-2012 10:08 PM

And on come the haters. :rolleyes:

shilala 03-21-2012 10:53 PM

The Jets problem is that they are a reflection of their classless, crude, poor work ethic, loudmouth, silothenly, egomaniac coach. If that team can stand anything, it's some Tim Tebow. He may not be a four star NFL QB yet, but he certainly knows how to carry himself with dignity, class, and respect. All things the Jets are sorely lacking, and things that will add some cohesion to the club if they rub off.
This trade tanked, by the way. Their was contract verbage that would have cost the Jets 5 million in bonuses paid Tebow. That came out later in the day and stopped negotiations. Whether they'll work through it or not remains to be seen, but I look for Jacksonvolle to make a play. Their owner is a bit goofy and I think he'll chance ruining Gabbard given the opportunity to sell seats and jerseys,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudosacred (Post 1596519)
Anything is better than Sanchez. The Jets do need to shape up. On paper, they are stacked. On the field, they suck. It's mostly because Shaun Greene is a bum and Sanchez is well...awful. If they put Tebow in an offense that suits him, he will do wonders.

chachee52 03-22-2012 07:01 AM

I agree that Tebow will never be a starting QB in a long term situation. Teams can firure out quickly that he runs the option and will play that every time. Tebow wasn't a skilled "QB" in college, and he ranks something like 35th out of the 32 teams in QB ranking last year with Denver. I am still a little suprised that the Jets picked him, I would have thought Miami would have gone a little harder after him.
I am still a little confused about how Denver thinks that Manning will play for 5 yrs!! I am still a little doubtful that he will play after what he's had done. And if he does how paocket shy he will be.
Just goes to show what I said all last year, every time you looked at Elway you could tell he did not like Tebow as a QB at all!!!

taltos 03-22-2012 07:17 AM

The Jests continue to be a constant source of entertainment for Pats fans. I wonder when the front office will figure out that $20 million in salary for 2 quarterbacks does not equal 1 $20 million quarterback.:r:r

VirtualSmitty 03-22-2012 07:52 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc

Good for the Jets. I like it, especially being a Giants fan :r

fhrblig 03-22-2012 09:04 AM

As I said to another person yesterday, it's just crazy enough to work.

Take it from someone who saw it first-hand the last two seasons: throws-ugly-but-wins is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than throws-pretty-but-loses.

smitty81 03-22-2012 09:14 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...it_jets_032112

They are talking about how Tebow will be used in a wild cat offense.

I see one problem with this. Every time Tebow is in to play, they will know whats coming.

Parshooter 03-22-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1596843)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...it_jets_032112

They are talking about how Tebow will be used in a wild cat offense.

I see one problem with this. Every time Tebow is in to play, they will know whats coming.

Pretty much, but he can complete a short pass most of the time, which does give an option most wild cat backs don't have.
Will be interesting to see how the Jets use him. As bad as Sanchez is, Tebow won't be threatening his job.

smitty81 03-22-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parshooter (Post 1596846)
Pretty much, but he can complete a short pass most of the time, which does give an option most wild cat backs don't have.
Will be interesting to see how the Jets use him. As bad as Sanchez is, Tebow won't be threatening his job.

What other back up QB's run the wildcat?

Parshooter 03-22-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1596849)

Huh? Don't think there are any.

smitty81 03-22-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parshooter (Post 1596850)
Huh? Don't think there are any.

I guess what I was getting at is that the other QB's that run the wildcat in the NFL can throw way better than Tebow. Not saying hes a tom brady but Vick comes to mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parshooter (Post 1596846)

Did you mean running backs?

smitty81 03-22-2012 09:29 AM

delete

Parshooter 03-22-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1596851)
I guess what I was getting at is that the other QB's that run the wildcat in the NFL can throw way better than Tebow. Not saying hes a tom brady but Vick comes to mind.

Right, I wasn't thinking of qbs running the wc but other position players.

smitty81 03-22-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parshooter (Post 1596857)
Right, I wasn't thinking of qbs running the wc but other position players.

gotcha.

chippewastud79 03-22-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1596851)

Do you mean former QB's running the Wildcat? Because some teams who run it seem to use former college QB's. Brad Smith, Josh Cribbs, Pat White.

icehog3 03-22-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhrblig (Post 1596837)
As I said to another person yesterday, it's just crazy enough to work.

Take it from someone who saw it first-hand the last two seasons: throws-ugly-but-wins is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than throws-pretty-but-loses.

Yup. :)

Gophernut 03-22-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1596880)
Do you mean former QB's running the Wildcat? Because some teams who run it seem to use former college QB's. Brad Smith, Josh Cribbs, Pat White.

The vikings use Joe Webb, who is the backup QB in the Blazer Package which is their version of the wildcat. Pretty much useless because you kind of know what is coming.

The Poet 03-22-2012 01:57 PM

Here in Madison, which is a 3-wood from the Jets multi-zillion dollar facility, the opinions have yet to crystallize on how this addition of another ring to the circus will eventually shake out. As for me, who could care less what the "local" team does, I am considering a petition to the town council to change the name of the town to Lourdes. :D

kelmac07 03-22-2012 01:59 PM

Not sure why he choose the Jets over the hometown Jags. :confused:

Islayphile 03-22-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1597088)

Endorsement deals will be much better in NY no doubt

emopunker2004 03-22-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1597088)

I believe it could have something to do with the below statement and also the fact that he was passed up TWICE by the Jags. I'm glad. Being a here in Jax, but also a UF fan, I get tired of hearing Tebow this Tebow that. It would be 100x worse if he came here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islayphile (Post 1597093)
Endorsement deals will be much better in NY no doubt

The Poet 03-22-2012 03:13 PM

The local sportcasters here are making a big deal of the fact that, apparently, Jacksonville offered more than the Jets, but made it clear that Tebow would be the back-up. Denver gave Tebow the choice, and he seemed to think that he had a better chance to play for the Jets, and maybe even steal away the job from Sanchez.

OLS 03-22-2012 05:22 PM

What I don't understand in these threads is the misunderstandings of what a 'gimmick' offense is and what it is not.
A Wildcat offense with Tebow in as the QB is not some simple to stop play. The man has talent, GIANT legs,
he can throw a quick pass, and as the first play of overtime in the Bronco's first game of the playoffs showed, he can
throw medium down the middle, too.

Secondly, the Option is not easy to stop. It takes real discipline to stop it. If the jets can figure out a way to disguise
their looks, it's not a given that people will be able to simply line up and stop it. This sounds to me like a lot of
people listening to ESPN talking heads yammering away and simply repeating it. Yes, teams share film, yes these coaches
are pros, but you don't have to know much about football to know that more than half of the teams that play on Sunday
don't have a defense that particularly looks like they remember what they hell they were being taught all week in practice.

smitty81 03-22-2012 05:47 PM

The option boomed in the 90's and before when the players were built differently. The option may work for a few plays but in all reality, its unaffective in the nfl because of the speed of the defenses conpared to the o lineman. theres a reason that you hardly ever see the option in the nfl. heck, theres not even very many teams in the ncaa that run the option now days. Look at the huskers. The option brought them great success in the day but player build has changed so game play has changed as well.

chippewastud79 03-22-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1597226)
The option boomed in the 90's and before when the players were built differently. The option may work for a few plays but in all reality, its unaffective in the nfl because of the speed of the defenses conpared to the o lineman. theres a reason that you hardly ever see the option in the nfl. heck, theres not even very many teams in the ncaa that run the option now days. Look at the huskers. The option brought them great success in the day but player build has changed so game play has changed as well.

Lots of college teams run the option still. It is just very rarely seen in the true 'option', or veer option form. Riding the fullback and then quick outside jab step with a pitchman is long gone. The day of a true fullback are limited too. The game has evolved past the simple option. :tu

The biggest reason in the NFL that there is limited option offense is the potential for injury and the QB being such a highly paid player and asset. Heck, 18-21 year old bodies can take a punishment and recover much quicker over a 12 game season than a 32 year old QB will recover over a 20+ game season. QB's in the NFL are heralded for throwing TD's and winning games, not 3 yard runs or a 5 yard pitch to the tailback. :2

smitty81 03-22-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1597241)
Lots of college teams run the option still. It is just very rarely seen in the true 'option', or veer option form. Riding the fullback and then quick outside jab step with a pitchman is long gone. The day of a true fullback are limited too. The game has evolved past the simple option. :tu

The biggest reason in the NFL that there is limited option offense is the potential for injury and the QB being such a highly paid player and asset. Heck, 18-21 year old bodies can take a punishment and recover much quicker over a 12 game season than a 32 year old QB will recover over a 20+ game season. QB's in the NFL are heralded for throwing TD's and winning games, not 3 yard runs or a 5 yard pitch to the tailback. :2

I think you and i are on the same page.

chippewastud79 03-22-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1597247)
I think you and i are on the same page.

The option was never really featured in the NFL because of a durability issue, not so much a player build issue. Everyone is more athletic, bigger, faster, stronger than they were a decade ago. But with the high price of franchise QB's, you will never see a coach or owner take the risk of running a true option in the NFL. In college teams have 5+ QB's and they can get another one off the street and it doesn't cost them any extra money (unless you are USC or OSU). :tu

icehog3 03-22-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1597226)
The option may work for a few plays but in all reality, its unaffective in the nfl because of the speed of the defenses conpared to the o lineman.

Hmmm... Tebow made it work for the Broncos last season to the tune of 7-1.

mkarnold1 03-22-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1596849)

Joe Webb of the Vikings runs a wildcat type offense off the bench. This is a funny blurb, from the Onion.

smitty81 03-22-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1597260)
Hmmm... Tebow made it work for the Broncos last season to the tune of 7-1.

Are you saying it was a one man team? also, they got pretty damn lucky to pull out some of those wins.

icehog3 03-22-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1597273)
Are you saying it was a one man team? also, they got pretty damn lucky to pull out some of those wins.

A win is a win. I'll take a "lucky" win over a loss anytime. :2

chachee52 03-23-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1597273)

I think that most of those wins had to do with the defense on both teams. Denver's Defense was a great defense this year. in my opinion, they were one of the better ones last year. What we remember is the LAST play of the game Tebow did something. When the other defense was tired and (I'm not using an excuse, they should be more on their game) scored. What did he do the rest of the game?
I didn't get to see many of the games but I saw a few that were basically the opposing defense just completely blew the game ( The chicago game comes to mind where the running back ran out out insead of staying inbounds and the defense just collapsed)
I agree, a win is a win, but to say "It was Tebow" is a little out there in my eyes.

shilala 03-23-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkarnold1 (Post 1597271)

:lr :lr :lr

icehog3 03-23-2012 09:39 AM

Denver's awesome defense, other teams' tired defenses, mental errors, bad officiating. Tebow had absolutely nothing to do with it. :r

Read the comments from HIS teammates last season, what THEY thought he brought to that team. I'll take those to heart over the opinions of fans of opposing teams. Haters gonna hate. :lr

yourchoice 03-23-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1597856)
Denver's awesome defense, other teams' tired defenses, mental errors, bad officiating. Tebow had absolutely nothing to do with it. :r

Read the comments from HIS teammates last season, what THEY thought he brought to that team. I'll take those to heart over the opinions of fans of opposing teams. Haters gonna hate. :lr

:tpd: If Tebow had little to do with their success when he started, how were they 7-1 when Tebow started, and 1-7 when he didn't?

Like Tom said, Haters gonna hate.

And, FWIW, the Gators are one of my least favorite college football teams...but this hater ain't hatin' on Tebow. The guy was probably the best college football player (not QB, player) I've seen play, is a great teammate and just seems to be "a winner". Time will tell if that's true, but he's off to a good start.

smitty81 03-23-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 1597881)
:tpd: If Tebow had little to do with their success when he started, how were they 7-1 when Tebow started, and 1-7 when he didn't?

Like Tom said, Haters gonna hate.

And, FWIW, the Gators are one of my least favorite college football teams...but this hater ain't hatin' on Tebow. The guy was probably the best college football player (not QB, player) I've seen play, is a great teammate and just seems to be "a winner". Time will tell if that's true, but he's off to a good start.

Just goes to show everyone has their own opinions and they are entilted to them.

I feel Tommie Frazier was the greatest college football player ever on offense . YMMV

chippewastud79 03-23-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1597930)
Just goes to show everyone has their own opinions and they are entilted to them.

I feel Tommie Frazier was the greatest college football player ever on offense . YMMV

Your Nebraska bias wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that, would it? :rolleyes:

smitty81 03-23-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1598042)
Your Nebraska bias wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that, would it? :rolleyes:

no sir. They have been compared by many. Google it.

chippewastud79 03-23-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1598083)
no sir. They have been compared by many. Google it.

Frazier, Tebow, Young, Elway, hell I'll throw in LeFevour based on college stats, there is a debate to who is the best. But chances are all of them trail many of the great RB's for greatest college player of all-time. Walker, Sanders, Jackson, Dorsett, Thorpe. Hell, Thorpe is a top 5 ATHLETE of all-time in my book. :2

chachee52 03-23-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1597856)

I'm a fan of football. I will give credit to those that I see fit on any team. I guess this is just one of those situations that when watching the games I'm not seeing what everyone else sees in him. He runs, I don't see him as a good QB.
Like I said in past posts, I do think that he's a great guy and is probably a good motivator, a good QB though? Nope......I don't see it.
Not to mention, he is the complete opposite personal character than most of the JETs players. He's a good guy!! HEHEHE (Just a little Pats fan humor)

icehog3 03-23-2012 08:24 PM

Great QB? Probably not. Heck of a fottball player, though. I don't see him as the seconf coming of Johnny Unitas, Todd, I just laugh at the people (not you) who don't give him one iota of credit for the Broncos turnaround and success, just say "Tim has a sucky arm". Well, Prince Fielder ain't much of a base stealer, but I'm glad to have him on the Tigers. ;)

longknocker 03-23-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1598441)
Great QB? Probably not. Heck of a fottball player, though. I don't see him as the seconf coming of Johnny Unitas, Todd, I just laugh at the people (not you) who don't give him one iota of credit for the Broncos turnaround and success, just say "Tim has a sucky arm". Well, Prince Fielder ain't much of a base stealer, but I'm glad to have him on the Tigers. ;)

Tebow Will Succeed Eventually, Wherever He Goes. A Class Act, IMO! :tu

chachee52 03-24-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1598441)

I am still not ready to say he's a great football player. Not sure if he's a "one year wonder" yet. Time will tell. I remember when Cordell Stewart first came on the scene and he did an unbelievable job the first year, then teams caught on.
Switch him to a fullback or something then we might have a different topic:rolleyes: