Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   La Riqueza No. 5 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33380)

RightAJ 06-24-2010 08:30 PM

La Riqueza No. 5

This stick was sent to me recently by a generous BOTL, and I have been looking forward to lighting it up. I've had the No. 2 (belicoso) before and loved it, but am yet to smoke any of the other sizes. The La Riqueza line by Pete Johnson is designed to be "An Old World medium bodied Cuban style cigar" according to the website, and is made with Nicaraguan tobaccos in a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. This cute little size reminds me of a Party Short or RASCC, which are great for a quick smoke!

Smoking this morning (couldn't sleep!) with a cup of coffee. Cut with my Xikar and lit with matches.

Lighting up, I'm smacked in the face with strong wood, coffee, and nutty flavors. The smoke is quite thick for such a small cigar, and has a toasty aftertaste. D/A/B are all perfect, the latter with a Cubanesque tug. I am quite surprised at how much depth and clarity there are to the flavors, this cigar is really a treat. As I get to the half way point, the complexity settles down a bit (though adding some spice and molasses to the mix of flavors), while all construction aspects remain flawless. I would give this an 89 rating, and with some age to mellow the slight harshness I tasted towards the end, this will easily be in the 90s. Overall, a great cigar that is going on my 'box purchase when I have money' list!

aj

PS pics on my blog, too tired to upload them to flickr right now lol

KenyanSandBoa 06-25-2010 08:12 AM

Re: La Riqueza No. 5

Nice review. This is a smoke I have also really enjoyed. :tu

Thick smoke seems to be a Pete Johnson specialty, and I love it. I was also surprised with how intese that cigar started.

macsauce13 06-25-2010 01:45 PM

This one is going on the wishlist! Thanks for the review AJ!

Superbad 06-25-2010 06:36 PM

Having one tonight. I am loving it, I am getting the coffee and woody flavors as well.

MarkinAZ 06-25-2010 07:38 PM

Nice review on the #5 AJ...:tu

SmokeyJoe 06-25-2010 07:38 PM

Nice review, AJ. I really enjoy the La Riqueza... only problem is - they don't stick around long enough. :dr

danreeve 06-25-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe (Post 899521)
La Riqueza... only problem is - they don't stick around long enough. :dr

agree!

great review.

AlohaStyle 06-25-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightAJ (Post 898300)
This cute little size reminds me of a Party Short or RASCC, which are great for a quick smoke!

Good review as I love the La Ricki's! But something tells me that Pete would wonder wtf is a dude calling my cigars "cute" for?!? :p LOL

Pilon 06-25-2010 10:55 PM

I have 13 left in my humi....love these sticks

muhren 06-26-2010 09:12 AM

La Riqueza are some very good smokes!

OHRD 06-28-2010 06:00 AM

Just got a 5er of these off CA, can't wait to fire one up. Thanks for the review AJ.

muhren 10-10-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muhren (Post 899857)
La Riqueza are some very good smokes!

Losing my mind!!

I was going to post that I enjoy these cigars because I am enjoying a Riqueza again tonight.

My burn line started to canoe EVER so slightly..I set it down for a second to take a drink. Right back to razor sharp when I gave it a twirl again. FINE construction!

Realized I'd already posted praise of this cigar...so, I guess DOUBLE praise!

M

kelmac07 10-10-2010 09:20 PM

Great review AJ. I just can't seem to get into any of these for some reason. :confused:

Magnate 10-11-2010 12:16 AM

Perfect review!

I love the #5's. Great short smoke... and the La Riqueza line is in my top 3 outside of Cuba. I keep waiting for the right deal on another box... but, I've only got two left, so I can't wait much longer.

jessejava187 10-11-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnate (Post 1018128)
Perfect review!

I love the #5's. Great short smoke... and the La Riqueza line is in my top 3 outside of Cuba. I keep waiting for the right deal on another box... but, I've only got two left, so I can't wait much longer.

i know you love those guys, ive had a few more and they are pretty damn good