Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thoughts on Opus X (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74379)

Edeustace 08-03-2018 03:18 PM

Thoughts on Opus X

What are your thoughts on the opus X 20th anniversary? Has anyone tried the various sizes and do you believe that they are worth the price point? I Find the ad recent releases do not come close to the cigars put out by Fuente 10 years ago what are your thoughts? In my opinion the Fuente Anejo line is one of the best Cigars for the money especially for the Robusto and Toro sizes this would obviously excluding the shark and 888.

icehog3 08-03-2018 03:55 PM

Re: Thoughts on Opus X

I am a fan of the smaller (length or ring gauge) Opus X regular releases like the Perfecxion #5, Perfecxion #4 Series X and Petit Lancero. Haven't got caught up in any of the other releases like 20th Anny, Angel's Share, etc. For my money, I'd rather get a handful of the Petit Lancero than 1 of the LEs.

I used to love the Anejos 10+ years ago, but now find them too strong fresh as I basically retrohale 100% of the smoke. But with a couple/few years of age to mellow them, I can still enjoy one now and again.

Edeustace 08-03-2018 09:12 PM

I completely agree as
Many of the of Anejo boxes I have are five years or older. Things are just not the same, what ashame.

T.G 08-03-2018 09:24 PM

Coolest. Band. Evar.

Weelok 08-03-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edeustace (Post 2157565)
What are your thoughts on the opus X 20th anniversary? Has anyone tried the various sizes and do you believe that they are worth the price point? I Find the ad recent releases do not come close to the cigars put out by Fuente 10 years ago what are your thoughts? In my opinion the Fuente Anejo line is one of the best Cigars for the money especially for the Robusto and Toro sizes this would obviously excluding the shark and 888.

Anejos for the win!!! As Dominican puros go, hard to beat. As for 10 years ago, they were too strong for me then so I can’t say. I’d probably love those now as my palate is more approving of strong cigars.

sigsauer 08-04-2018 09:25 AM

Anejo sucked after 2nd year release
the 1st run was phenomenal!
I heard the Opus 20th are terrible.
I agree about the smaller size opus....robusto and down are best imo

4WheelVFR 08-04-2018 10:49 AM

I'm still a fan of Fuente so I try to keep a bit of everything on hand. I'm a fan of the regular sun grown line, Queen B's and 858's in particular. I'm with Tom on the Opus. I tend to enjoy the smaller smokes more, but they're all really good with a few years on 'em.

Are the Opus 20th the ones with the blue bands? If so, I have not been impressed at all. I'd like to try a couple that have some age on them, but the few I've had so far I didn't like at all. Angel's Share....I can leave those as well. Just didn't like 'em.

T.G 08-04-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 2157628)
I'm still a fan of Fuente so I try to keep a bit of everything on hand. I'm a fan of the regular sun grown line, Queen B's and 858's in particular. I'm with Tom on the Opus. I tend to enjoy the smaller smokes more, but they're all really good with a few years on 'em.

I'd take an 858SG or an 858R over an Opus X any day.

Not that I dislike the Opus X, I just liked those two more. Despite the Opus having a cooler looking band. ;)

4WheelVFR 08-04-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2157630)
I'd take an 858SG or an 858R over an Opus X any day.

Not that I dislike the Opus X, I just liked those two more. Despite the Opus having a cooler looking band. ;)

I'd generally agree with you, especially with 858sg which is one of my favorite smokes. However, Opus with some age can be pretty damn good.

T.G 08-04-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 2157638)
I'd generally agree with you, especially with 858sg which is one of my favorite smokes. However, Opus with some age can be pretty damn good.

True, true. The 858SG and the 858R both age wonderfully too though.

It all comes down to personal tastes. All of the aforementioned are certainly quality cigars.

4WheelVFR 08-04-2018 02:28 PM

I'm not sure I've ever had the 858R.....may need to remedy that.

T.G 08-04-2018 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 2157645)
I'm not sure I've ever had the 858R.....may need to remedy that.

Be forewarned they are going to be tough to find, the 858 rosado has only been released twice IIRC. 2002 and 2009 if memory serves, and both times limited in numbers. There was even some debate if the 2009 release was actually rolled in 2002 and held back, and, true to form, Carlos Fuente Jr would neither confirm nor deny the speculation.

I'm not sure if the regular production rosado line uses the same wrapper leaf from a different vintage or a similar leaf - ultimately though, it doesn't have that brilliant 858 binder and filler blend.

mc808 08-05-2018 03:53 AM

858 Rosado will be released again this year. In limited quantities of course.

SurfnSafari 08-05-2018 07:12 AM

Several thoughts.

Pricey.

Limited availability.

Supply is not near demand.

Fuente is successful with the line, and I am sure they wish they could produce more.

4WheelVFR 08-05-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc808 (Post 2157665)
858 Rosado will be released again this year. In limited quantities of course.

Nice, I will have to look for these.

Edeustace 08-05-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsauer (Post 2157623)
Anejo sucked after 2nd year release
the 1st run was phenomenal!
I heard the Opus 20th are terrible.
I agree about the smaller size opus....robusto and down are best imo

I had a 20 yr and agree that it was not worth near the hype.

Edeustace 08-05-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 2157628)

Are the Opus 20th the ones with the blue bands? If so, I have not been impressed at all. I'd like to try a couple that have some age on them, but the few I've had so far I didn't like at all. Angel's Share....I can leave those as well. Just didn't like 'em.

I have always enjoyed the smaller ring gauge smokes in almost every line. The angles share that I have had were good just not worth the price as there are many amazing smokes for a lot less.

Edeustace 08-05-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 2157638)

I bought a box of the XXX Opus when my 15 yr old was born and I smoked my last one two years ago and it was incredible. I could kick myself for not sticking to the one cigar a year.

4WheelVFR 08-06-2018 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edeustace (Post 2157684)
I bought a box of the XXX Opus when my 15 yr old was born and I smoked my last one two years ago and it was incredible. I could kick myself for not sticking to the one cigar a year.

Haha, yes we all do that, I'm sure. Opus, when they're on are some of my favorite smokes.

Conch Republican 08-06-2018 07:58 AM

As a recovering Opus addict, I will say that the blend seemed to change after a few years. They are still good, but I get similar quality cigars for better money.

Now the 20th...had to get a few to try, I actually liked them (and hoped I would not) Great construction, good flavors, a little more mild that what I like - but nothing will beat the OR (Still have 1 left) :noon