Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   OS X Mountain Lion Released (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57187)

LasciviousXXX 07-25-2012 09:09 AM

OS X Mountain Lion Released

Earlier this morning Apple released its update to OS X. Generally, I try and test out the beta before the general release as I like to work through the kinks and bugs beforehand. However, this time I upgraded with the rest of the world. So far the release seems stable and quite a bit faster than Lion (which had earned its share of derision).

What are everyone's thoughts so far on the new release? Like it? Hate it?

replicant_argent 07-25-2012 09:33 AM

Re: OS X Mountain Lion Released

Dunno. Considering I am about 3 releases behind on a 7 year old MacBook, I might as well think about buying a new laptop and replacing a perfectly functional unit running Tiger 10.4.11

BHalbrooks 07-25-2012 09:43 AM

Is this for iPhone or just Mac's?

Skywalker 07-25-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1687214)
Is this for iPhone or just Mac's?

This is the new Mac OS not for iPhone... Yet!

LasciviousXXX 07-25-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1687206)
Dunno. Considering I am about 3 releases behind on a 7 year old MacBook, I might as well think about buying a new laptop and replacing a perfectly functional unit running Tiger 10.4.11

Well, yeah there's that :lr

So far everything seems good. Its having a weird reaction to some of the scripts I have running on Firefox. Trouble-shooting time!

CigarDojo 07-25-2012 10:40 AM

As soon as I get a few spare moments I plan to upgrade my various Macs. I just want a clean, fast, OS. Bells and whistles don't interest me.

LasciviousXXX 07-25-2012 10:46 AM

I enjoy both bells and whistles :tu

In all honesty though it seems to be a speed boost over Lion, which I appreciate. I fixed the issues it was having with Firefox and decided to try out the new "Safari 6". It looks good so far.

neoflex 07-25-2012 10:49 AM

I'm holding off until I get to do some homework on it first as I heard some chatter that there are some bugs in regards to how it reacts to Adobe Creative Suite. Can't afford to be down due to upgrading my OS but I am hoping it was just that "Chatter."

King James 07-25-2012 10:52 AM

First impressions are that it is good – probably worth the $20 – but I'm not blown away. The notification center is nice, I also like being able to search in the address bar (although this has been in chrome for awhile now) and see tabs open on other devices from iCloud.

Speed differences hasn't been as noticeable yet for me, but only been using it for about 20 minutes.

3-finger double tap to open up files in preview is nice.

The share button will come in handy I'm sure.

WittyUserName 07-25-2012 11:00 AM

I am afraid of it will bog down my machine more than it is. I am running a Macbook Aluminum 2008 with 2gigs of ram. I keep my machine cleaned up and optimized but it is getting old....

Maybe time to upgrade :tu

mmblz 07-25-2012 11:03 AM

flat package installers are a pain to build :(

hammondc 07-25-2012 11:40 AM

Thought about it, but there is not really anything in it that interests me. I'll upgrade when my applications no longer support Lion.

King James 07-25-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyUserName (Post 1687281)
I am afraid of it will bog down my machine more than it is. I am running a Macbook Aluminum 2008 with 2gigs of ram. I keep my machine cleaned up and optimized but it is getting old....

Maybe time to upgrade :tu

You could always consider just upgrading RAM and maybe even adding a SSD if you don't want to upgrade right now. I recently threw 8 gigs of RAM into my 2009 macbook pro and it still works great. But they did just upgrade the fleet, so if you are considering an upgrade, now is as good of a time as it gets as far mac products go.

WittyUserName 07-25-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King James (Post 1687336)
You could always consider just upgrading RAM and maybe even adding a SSD if you don't want to upgrade right now. I recently threw 8 gigs of RAM into my 2009 macbook pro and it still works great. But they did just upgrade the fleet, so if you are considering an upgrade, now is as good of a time as it gets as far mac products go.

Yeah, I will look into upgrading the ram, even if I can only go up to 4. Thanks for the inspiration :tu

King James 07-25-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyUserName (Post 1687348)
Yeah, I will look into upgrading the ram, even if I can only go up to 4. Thanks for the inspiration :tu

4 is still good. I probably would have been fine with 4, but crucial had a deal and it was only a $15-20 difference to go from 4 to 8 so I figured what the hell.

WittyUserName 07-25-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King James (Post 1687369)
4 is still good. I probably would have been fine with 4, but crucial had a deal and it was only a $15-20 difference to go from 4 to 8 so I figured what the hell.

So to get the thread back on track, I just ordered 4 new gigs of RAM (the max supported) and once installed I will be upgrading to OS X ML!!

Any updates after almost a full day of use?

cmitch 07-25-2012 01:47 PM

I'll upgrade I guess when I set aside my G5 and upgrade to a 27" iMac. Right now, 10.5.8 is all I have on anything I own and at work, the newest OS is 10.6X which has been mucho troublito with PPD's and print drivers along with Fiery Command Work Station not allowing you to open properties on a 10.6 machine.

mithrilG60 07-26-2012 02:34 PM

Waiting to hear back whether my wife's MacBook Air qualifies for free upgrade, I think it will since it was bought from the Apple Refurbished Centre a week after WDC but we'll see. I'll upgrade regardless, just don't want to spent the $20 if I don't have to.

King James 07-26-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithrilG60 (Post 1688377)
Waiting to hear back whether my wife's MacBook Air qualifies for free upgrade, I think it will since it was bought from the Apple Refurbished Centre a week after WDC but we'll see. I'll upgrade regardless, just don't want to spent the $20 if I don't have to.

You should be good for the free upgrade. It applies to most Macs purchased after June 11, whether from the apple store or refurb store. :tu

hammondc 07-26-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyUserName (Post 1687348)

Sounds like the same model I have Core 2Duo Santa Rosa? You can go to 6gig of ram, but one has to be a 4 gig stick. Thats what I did. My macbook is Macbook Pro 2008. Model A1226.