Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Whiskey Stones? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41820)

76GTFan 01-28-2011 03:59 PM

Whiskey Stones?

Anybody like these? I tried them and they just don't get my drink that cold like ice cubes. I understand why people use them, but my drink just wasn't that cold. Your thoughts.

justonemorestick 01-28-2011 04:29 PM

Re: Whiskey Stones?

I like a touch of water with my spirits it seems to help the flavor come through I find that straight with just a couple of cubes is the right amount if you are sipping a little glass. as they melt the drink seems to get better and better.

wayner123 01-28-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonemorestick (Post 1152840)
I like a touch of water with my spirits it seems to help the flavor come through I find that straight with just a couple of cubes is the right amount if you are sipping a little glass. as they melt the drink seems to get better and better.

I believe he is talking about whiskey stones like these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/prod...ones_glass.jpg

Not ice.

DMK 01-28-2011 05:09 PM

:confused: Where did you get them?? I haven't tried them and I'd like to.

icehog3 01-28-2011 05:24 PM

Looked at some sites and read about them, pretty mixed reviews in general.

icehog3 01-28-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMK (Post 1152878)
:confused: Where did you get them?? I haven't tried them and I'd like to.

Amazon.com has them

so does WineStuff.com

BC-Axeman 01-28-2011 05:38 PM

They don't cool the same way ice does. They cant possibly bring the temperature down a lot. Ice cools by removing heat from the drink to change the solid water into liquid. The stones are just removing enough heat to get themselves to equilibrium with the drink. You need a lot of stone to drink ratio. They just don't add water. I don't like the water in my drinks, so I like the stones. It helps to chill the glass first too.

76GTFan 01-28-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1152918)
They don't cool the same way ice does. They cant possibly bring the temperature down a lot. Ice cools by removing heat from the drink to change the solid water into liquid. The stones are just removing enough heat to get themselves to equilibrium with the drink. You need a lot of stone to drink ratio. They just don't add water. I don't like the water in my drinks, so I like the stones. It helps to chill the glass first too.

It seems if you chill the glass then what purpose do the stones serve. They take a bit of the edge off, but so would a chilled glass. Just don't see the use. Why not get some of those plastic coated ice cubes like for coffee? Those work on coffee. Why do stones not do the same? I like the idea but don't see it. I have been drinking whiskey long enough to know that these things really don't get cold. Not even a tad.

76GTFan 01-28-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1152898)
Amamzon.com has them

so does WinsStuff.com

I got them on Amazin thru winestuff.com. Free shipping and about 20 bucks. Not a huge loss, but I was fairly disappointed.

Some argue that whiskey shouldn't be cold. Fair enough. So why buy rocks? I noticed zero difference in temp change. At least to the mouth.

BC-Axeman 01-28-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1152930)
It seems if you chill the glass then what purpose do the stones serve. They take a bit of the edge off, but so would a chilled glass. Just don't see the use. Why not get some of those plastic coated ice cubes like for coffee? Those work on coffee. Why do stones not do the same? I like the idea but don't see it. I have been drinking whiskey long enough to know that these things really don't get cold. Not even a tad.

Good point! I usually just drink straight from the bottle anyway.:r

76GTFan 01-28-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1152944)

You should look into getting an IV. Highly recommended. Ha!

T.G 01-28-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1152964)
You should look into getting an IV. Highly recommended. Ha!

:wo:wo

Then we can start calling him Lance-O.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXslXzwmrv0

replicant_argent 01-28-2011 06:26 PM

I've seen them. The first thing I thought was that when I rattle my glass, which is sometimes an unconscious habit, they might scratch the glass. Which, if you are drinking from a cheap Anchor Hocking product, is one thing, but if you have really nice glasses you want to keep nice, (Not me, I have el cheapos) you would be doing them a disservice. I can understand the idea, bringing a slight chill to a spirit. Dunno about the efficacy of them, for a conny-sewer.

RGD. 02-04-2011 07:06 PM

I have these, received as a gift. I have used them exactly twice. Do they make the drink cold - no. They do however cool the drink down to less than room temperature.
The first time I used them I knew I would be having at least two drinks so I divided them for use. The second time I simply used them all at the same time which kept the drink cool for awhile, maybe just about the same time as ice would have.

Overall - great novelty item. Practical - no.

Ron

chand 02-04-2011 08:23 PM

How do you get the stones in the bottle? :r Seriously though, I don't see how they are cold enough. My fiancee uses plastic heart shape cubes but I don't think it really cools. Its for looks only, if you ask me.

BC-Axeman 02-04-2011 09:17 PM

The plastic ones that are gel inside work like blue ice in a cooler. Put enough in and you might be able to freeze a soda.

jbillin 03-16-2011 08:20 AM

May I suggest, www.free_advertising_for_my_product.com

replicant_argent 03-16-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbillin (Post 1207117)
May I suggest, free advertising for me

dunno if I would purchase something with Jesse James "endorsing" them. ;)

(now I quoted the right post)

md4958 03-16-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbillin (Post 1207117)
May I suggest

I see google is working today.

jmsremax 03-16-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1152944)

:tpd: