Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oliva Serie V Melanio torpedo (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72608)

borndead1 02-07-2017 10:41 PM

Oliva Serie V Melanio torpedo

I'm not a fan of the Oliva V. But the ratings of the Melanio have been so high that I decided to grab a couple and try them out.

Nice looking cigar. Veiny but evenly colored wrapper. Good draw.

First few draws...strong spice in the nostrils. Short, leathery finish.

About 1" in...the spice in the nostrils has taken on a woodsy flavor. Full "strength". It's a bit too much, but not intolerable.

About 2" in..."strength" has settled down a bit. The spice in the nostrils has subsided. Woodsy flavor is still present, and a bit of sweetness has crept in on the finish. Enjoying the cigar so far.

About halfway...about the same. Nice flavor, nice aroma, but not a world rocker.

A little past halfway...a slight chemical flavor on the finish. This is the same reason I didn't like the original Oliva V. Tossed the cigar just past the halfway point.

Final thoughts...this cigar was ROTT, so I will let the other one sit for a while before making a final judgment. But honestly, I didn't think all that much of this cigar overall.

:ss

longknocker 02-08-2017 03:08 AM

Re: Oliva Serie V Melanio torpedo

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 2116302)
I'm not a fan of the Oliva V. But the ratings of the Melanio have been so high that I decided to grab a couple and try them out.

Nice looking cigar. Veiny but evenly colored wrapper. Good draw.

First few draws...strong spice in the nostrils. Short, leathery finish.

About 1" in...the spice in the nostrils has taken on a woodsy flavor. Full "strength". It's a bit too much, but not intolerable.

About 2" in..."strength" has settled down a bit. The spice in the nostrils has subsided. Woodsy flavor is still present, and a bit of sweetness has crept in on the finish. Enjoying the cigar so far.

About halfway...about the same. Nice flavor, nice aroma, but not a world rocker.

A little past halfway...a slight chemical flavor on the finish. This is the same reason I didn't like the original Oliva V. Tossed the cigar just past the halfway point.

Final thoughts...this cigar was ROTT, so I will let the other one sit for a while before making a final judgment. But honestly, I didn't think all that much of this cigar overall.

:ss

According To My Friend Scott (Shilala), All The Olivas Do Great After 1-1.5 Years Of Rest. A Fantastic Cigar After That!:tu:D:dr

mahtofire14 02-08-2017 04:41 AM

I agree with Longknocker and Shilala on this. I let a box of master blend 3s sit for a little over a year and they are still one of the best cigars I've smoked after that slight aging. I like them rotb but they mellow out a bit after some age. Also the V Maduros do really well with age.

RevSmoke 02-08-2017 12:38 PM

I love the Oliva V & Melanios. Do not care for the G or O lines though. And Master Blends are pretty good too.

Ogre 02-08-2017 05:20 PM

They are a great smoke with some age

AdamJoshua 02-08-2017 05:31 PM

I used to smoke a few of their line. It will be interesting being in FL where there isn't the 865% tax (ok not that bad but damn close) on cigars, probably be trying out a few more sticks that would be more reasonably priced.

Flynnster 02-08-2017 07:59 PM

Just put a box (my first box) of the maduro torpedos down to rest for a bit. Hoping they round out flavor wise and ease up a bit on strength.

Weelok 02-08-2017 10:55 PM

The Olivia V's used to not match my palate but times have changed and I find they are great now. Check back occasionally and you may be surprised they hit the spot for a bit.

oldforge 02-10-2017 03:55 AM

I have some 2012 V Maduros that are wonderful right now.

I have some old regular Vs that are very good as well.

I have tried the Melanios but still haven't figured out why they get such good reviews.