Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   grand marnier (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7033)

beamish 12-27-2008 02:48 PM

grand marnier

whats the best way to drink this stuff? ice cold?should it be kept in the freezer?

goalie204 12-27-2008 03:05 PM

Re: grand marnier

I've only had it once, and i had it neat, no ice. (served warm)

Any other time i've had it, it was in crepe suzettes. mmmm crepe suzettes

Cigary 12-27-2008 04:37 PM

I have had it straight up room temp and I didn't think it was all that. Went back to my favorite Drambuie,,,at least that was great with cigars and satisfying.

Don Fernando 12-27-2008 04:46 PM

the best thing is not to drink this poison at all.

markem 12-27-2008 05:35 PM

I don't drink it straight, instead using it for orange flavoring. Nice in a margarita and also on top of cocoa.

RGD. 12-27-2008 05:40 PM

I keep some here at the house for others - although I have tried it twice - I'm not really big on liqueurs. Once without ice and once with ice - I preferred it with ice. If I was to drink it I would most likely keep it in the fridge and not use ice.

Now it's not a bad liqueur - it's heavy on the "orange" flavors. Friend of mine loves the stuff - but drinks the most expensive line of it, Cuvee something another - while most have the Cordon Rouge (bottom end) which you most likely have - which is what I keep here.

Ron

glassjapan 12-27-2008 05:43 PM

Use it in cooking and as a mixer...you can get some ideas right from the source:

http://www.grandmarnier.com/cocktails-recipes/

Mark C 12-27-2008 09:04 PM

A little sweet for me (though I've got a glass of Zaya rum sitting right here...), but I drink it neat or mixed, no rocks.

Lucky_Hippo 12-28-2008 03:20 AM

It's not bad mixed in coffee. Just substitue grand marnier instead of baileys for something a little different.

Neuromancer 12-29-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beamish (Post 137423)
whats the best way to drink this stuff? ice cold?should it be kept in the freezer?

It's a brandy and should be served warm, about 100 degree's (F)...bes to heat it in the microwave...be careful...you can get it too hot...or a brandy snifter that sits over a candle warmer...it's also great in coffee..

There's also two more variations on it but they're much more expensive:

Grand Marnier Cuvée du Centenaire (aged 25 years)

Grand Marnier Cuvée de Cent Cinquantenaire (aged 50 years)

Blueface 12-29-2008 04:50 PM

Many years ago, I met this elderly couple while on a business trip/conference.
We all went to a group dinner.
After dinner, I asked for some Remy XO.
When asked by the couple as to what I was drinking, I said to them, XO, sent from God.
They looked at me and showed me their glasses.
I asked what they contained.
They told me "The Nectar of the Gods" and both looked at each other and giggled as if kids.
I didn't quite understand what they meant at the time as they described their Grand Marnier.
I later came to find out what they meant and why they giggled.
I shared the story and my learnings with some friends and they too have agreed with what I learned.
If you are interested in finding out, have a few (one or two at minimum) drinks of this stuff, jump in bed with the significant other, and tell me if she doesn't think that stuf was sent from the Gods.:D

beamish 01-13-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 140176)
Many years ago, I met this elderly couple while on a business trip/conference.
We all went to a group dinner.
After dinner, I asked for some Remy XO.
When asked by the couple as to what I was drinking, I said to them, XO, sent from God.
They looked at me and showed me their glasses.
I asked what they contained.
They told me "The Nectar of the Gods" and both looked at each other and giggled as if kids.
I didn't quite understand what they meant at the time as they described their Grand Marnier.
I later came to find out what they meant and why they giggled.
I shared the story and my learnings with some friends and they too have agreed with what I learned.
If you are interested in finding out, have a few (one or two at minimum) drinks of this stuff, jump in bed with the significant other, and tell me if she doesn't think that stuf was sent from the Gods.:D

I gather they were talking aphrodisiac..?..interesting...

Scottw 01-13-2009 12:37 PM

I drink it neat with a slice of lemon or orange in it, not bad for sipping. I don't however smoke cigars while drinking this.

mmblz 01-13-2009 01:11 PM

Room temp, straight. Yum.

Also makes a better margarita than triple sec.

ucla695 01-13-2009 01:37 PM

I’ve never had this by itself, but only in coffee, margaritas and in frozen deserts.

cort 01-13-2009 09:34 PM

Straight out of the cabinet. I love me some Grandma;)

thebiglebowski 01-14-2009 02:01 PM

i use a nice brandy snifter.

the 150th anniversary edition is perhaps they best liquore i've ever imbibed. like inhaling an orange...

pcozad1 01-14-2009 03:45 PM

Its the only liquor my dog will drink:ss