Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Good cigar and a shoe shine (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46660)

lightning9191 06-19-2011 11:09 PM

Good cigar and a shoe shine

Hey Everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted...I've become more of a lurker than a poster. I was recently down in New Orleans and wanted to pass along a great place to stop. I stopped by The Cigar Factory on Decatur. I grabbed a cigar and chilled out at a table. I struck up a conversation with the shoe shine working there. His name is Jimmy and is a great guy to talk to....he has had an interesting life and is happy to share it with you. He just started shining at The Cigar Factory last Friday. We talked for about a half hour or so and I asked him if there is a place nearby to grab a cheap Abita. He said he knew one and he would show me. He took me around the block to a small liquor store ran by two Italian brothers who were probably in their eighties. They were swearing and yelling at each other in two languages. I bought Jimmy and I beers and we drank those and than he bought us a few more. Then we went back to the cigar shop and I figured I should probably get a shoe shine. My shoes looked better than when I bought them and he fixed them up good. I left shortly thereafter after spending two hours with Jimmy. It was a great afternoon and just wanted to share. If you ever find yourself in New Orleans, I highly suggest stopping down for a good cigar and a shoe shine. You can tell him Kevin the scientist sent you....not sure if he'll remember me, but who knows.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k...-03-15_583.jpg http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k...-03-06_784.jpg

kelmac07 06-20-2011 05:29 AM

Re: Good cigar and a shoe shine

Thanks for sharing Kevin. :tu :tu

OLS 06-20-2011 06:35 AM

I am glad that New Orleans HAS such a place, but I am not a customer. I knew a guy in Meridian, MS that used to
stay stocked with their products by ordering them by phone. He raved about them, but by that time I was a CC ho,
and they never appealed to me. But NO is a city that needs such a place, helps separate the regular tourists from the
cigar-smoking cogniscenti. Glad you enjoyed my hometown. ;) Holee crap, you topped this one from the crypt, Mac.

elderboy02 06-20-2011 06:49 AM

Very awesome! :)

big a 06-20-2011 07:49 AM

Very cool :tu New Orleans is on my list of places i would like to visit.

Sherlockholms 06-20-2011 08:28 AM

And the black guy shines the white man shoes......

hscmit 06-20-2011 08:33 AM

sounds like a great day

kaisersozei 06-20-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms (Post 1304238)

:confused: :sh

Great story, thanks for sharing, Kevin. Sounds like you made a great connection, it's all about the human interaction. Makes me miss New Orleans, loved the time I lived there. Awesome people, very colorful city

lightning9191 06-20-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms (Post 1304238)

It's sad that you still see the color of a person's skin before you see the person.

Blak Smyth 06-20-2011 01:52 PM

Great little story, sometimes we take such experiences for granted or we don't give another person enough opportunity to impact our day. Well done scientist!

Ogre 06-20-2011 01:59 PM

Thanks for posting that story, I have spent many a day in that city. Love the culture, food, drink and cigars.

markem 06-20-2011 02:01 PM

Looks like a great time. Glad that you two got a chance to hang and bond. Seems like people are too busy these days for such idyllic encounters.

justonemorestick 06-21-2011 09:10 AM

I need to get back to NO

Ervsuperb 06-21-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonemorestick (Post 1305645)
I need to get back to NO

Me too. Awesome place

scottdurand 06-21-2011 06:49 PM

I've loved New Orleans since I was a child. Cigar factory is definitely a great visit when in New Orleans.

Did anyone on the street hit you with the ole' "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes" bit? It's hilarious.

Sherlockholms 06-21-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning9191 (Post 1304635)
It's sad that you still see the color of a person's skin before you see the person.

I'd say its the other way around, I noticed the person and then the color of their skin. I just noticed it was a black guy shining shoes, that's all. I was expecting a white man shining shoes when I read the thread title. I meant no disrespect to the gentlemen.

It sounds like you had an amazing time OP, and its very cool to be able to have an experience like that with a person :)

lightning9191 06-21-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms (Post 1306193)
I'd say its the other way around, I noticed the person and then the color of their skin. I just noticed it was a black guy shining shoes, that's all. I was expecting a white man shining shoes when I read the thread title. I meant no disrespect to the gentlemen.

It sounds like you had an amazing time OP, and its very cool to be able to have an experience like that with a person :)

I'm glad to hear that it's the other way around :tu .

toasterhead 06-25-2011 05:52 PM

I love the Cigar Factory and highly recommend it to anyone visiting NO. I get down there every few years for business conventions.

Dave