Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oliva O Bold (cloth band) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15067)

borndead1 05-05-2009 12:10 PM

Oliva O Bold (cloth band)

A torpedo. This and 4 other old skool Oliva sticks were given to me by papajohn67. Included were 2 O Bolds, an O Bold maduro robusto, an O Classic and a Grand Maduro robusto.

Anyways, back to the cigar at hand.

Draw is a bit tight but not enough to piss me off. Sweet spice on the draw, straight tobacco and charred wood through the nose. The finish is tart and kinda short.

No major flavor changes, but a few nice subtle ones. The intial sweet spice blast remains the dominant flavor, but the nose exhale and finish change up a little bit from sweet tobacco/wood/buttery and even a tiny bit of floral every once in a while. The ash looks amazing. It is almost pure white. Makes me wish I had a camera. But buying a camera would cut into my cigar budget.

Whoever believes NCs don't age well has never smoked one of these. Was this cigar as good as the '06 PSP2 I smoked yesterday? No...but this well-rested, well-made Nicaraguan cigar stands tall, and has me rethinking the whole "smoke the NCs, age the CCs" theory.

Thanks again papajohn! :ss

Volt 05-05-2009 12:55 PM

Re: Oliva O Bold (cloth band)

:dr Oliva O Bolds :dr

I love them. Was it a red or a blue? I concur. To those who have not had a 6 year old NC, they can age wonderfully and change for a much better stick.

icantbejon 05-05-2009 12:59 PM

Great cigars here. I love the O bold.

BlackIrish 05-05-2009 02:33 PM

Lucky bastage. Those cloth-banded ones are rare indeed. They're a great smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Volt 05-05-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIrish (Post 370649)
Lucky bastage. Those cloth-banded ones are rare indeed. They're a great smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Need a couple? I still have your addy,.....

colimo 05-05-2009 04:26 PM

sounds good, thanks for the review....havent had that one, but love the V series as well as some other olivas...have to look for a couple of those

Volt 05-05-2009 04:50 PM

Your sig is so true and exactly how I feel....

Quote:

Originally Posted by colimo (Post 370763)
sounds good, thanks for the review....havent had that one, but love the V series as well as some other olivas...have to look for a couple of those

brigey57 05-07-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 370417)
A torpedo. This and 4 other old skool Oliva sticks were given to me by papajohn67. Included were 2 O Bolds, an O Bold maduro robusto, an O Classic and a Grand Maduro robusto.

Anyways, back to the cigar at hand.

Draw is a bit tight but not enough to piss me off. Sweet spice on the draw, straight tobacco and charred wood through the nose. The finish is tart and kinda short.

No major flavor changes, but a few nice subtle ones. The intial sweet spice blast remains the dominant flavor, but the nose exhale and finish change up a little bit from sweet tobacco/wood/buttery and even a tiny bit of floral every once in a while. The ash looks amazing. It is almost pure white. Makes me wish I had a camera. But buying a camera would cut into my cigar budget.

Whoever believes NCs don't age well has never smoked one of these. Was this cigar as good as the '06 PSP2 I smoked yesterday? No...but this well-rested, well-made Nicaraguan cigar stands tall, and has me rethinking the whole "smoke the NCs, age the CCs" theory.

Thanks again papajohn! :ss

The Oliva cigars are by far one of my favorite smokes; never disappointing. :dr:2

colimo 05-07-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 370797)
Your sig is so true and exactly how I feel....

thank you!! gettin ready to splash the boat for the season, which means lots of opportunity for some good smokes!!!:ss

RevSmoke 05-07-2009 10:53 PM

Aged cigars? Have some aging for my boys. Put them away when they were born. Will pull them out when they are 18, their first cigars with dad. By the way, they were NCs.

DougBushBC 06-09-2009 10:41 AM

I found a b&m near me that has some red cloth bands, are they still uncommon? I bought 2 to try.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigAsh 06-09-2009 11:11 AM

Love these!....Sadly, haven't had one in awhile, but was recently gifted a red cloth band by Simon/SmokeyNL at the Philly herf with the Tulip Twins.....I'll be resting that one for a bit....Now if I can only find some blue bands.....

kelmac07 06-09-2009 12:22 PM

Great review Mark...thanks.

Wanger 06-09-2009 01:46 PM

Just had a red banded one last night. Very tasty and perfect while I was grilling and had a finger of Old Pultney. :D

groogs 06-09-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougBushBC (Post 415953)
I found a b&m near me that has some red cloth bands, are they still uncommon? I bought 2 to try.
Posted via Mobile Device

They have been out of production for a few years, so I would grab them up while you have the chance. I was lucky enough to find a box in the clearance bin at my local B&M, and they are great smokes.

e-man67 06-09-2009 02:35 PM

I have had one red cloth band "O" about 4 years back...from what I remember it was good!

DougBushBC 06-09-2009 04:04 PM

I will go back to the B&M tomorrow and report how many they have (several boxes) maybe I can help distribute these!

Patron 06-09-2009 04:12 PM

Where's the pictures??? :banger

shilala 06-09-2009 04:22 PM

Absolutely delicious smoke.
Had one a couple days ago, I'm out of silk bands now. The blue band (paper) O's are excellent as well. They can still be had, but ya gotta root for them.
I'm running out of them, too. Gonna have to start seaching again soon. :)

DougBushBC 06-09-2009 04:40 PM

The ones i found were all red bands, i bought two will hold them for a week or so and smoke one