Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cheap College Beers (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33874)

BlackDog 07-10-2010 09:20 PM

Cheap College Beers

OK, so let's time-travel back to your college years, and hypothetically say you took some time off from studying to drink a few beers. You and a buddy scraped enough cash up between you to buy some beers. What was your college beer of choice?

I went to school in Ohio, and there it was generally Mickey Wide Mouths, or Little Kings if we were really desperate. If it was summer and I was back in New York, it was probably either Schaeffer or Bud, since those are what my father usually drank. If my folks had company over, he would buy Lowenbrau, so I sometimes scored one of those.

dyieldin 07-10-2010 09:29 PM

Re: Cheap College Beers

It did not matter much to us, we always got some 'Milwaukees Best' and we would always have something good for later because we always saved the best for last..........

chippewastud79 07-10-2010 09:49 PM

Keystone Light - Still drink the 'Stones
Natural Light
Coors Light - Now I'll only drink it when its on tap at a discount
Busch Light - Still drink 'em
Jacob's Best - Can't find it anywhere but the UP near Wisconsin, but it was the best $9 case you could buy
Red Dog Deuce Deuce's - Had 7 of them one night after two 40's in about 2 hours, never drank Red Dog again.
Old Style - When we could find it or get it brought back from Chicago

I would drink pretty much anything with the word Light or Lite in it, still remains the case for the most part.

I still drink the 'cheap beer': Busch Light, Keystone Light, Hudy Delight, Burger Light and Little Kings have all made appearances in my beverage fridge within the last 6 months. :tu

thebayratt 07-10-2010 10:00 PM

Natty Light
Shlight - Busch Lite
Southpaw
King Cobra "kang"

Hot or cold they all where aweful!

awsmith4 07-10-2010 11:03 PM

College night - $10 in pocket

Miller High Life, 18pck pony bottles for $6.50

Marlboro Lights for $2.00

Enough money left over for dollar menu...priceless

Scottw 07-10-2010 11:05 PM

The BEAST (Milwaukee's Best) Ice!

MiamiE 07-10-2010 11:37 PM

Coors Light and Miller Lite!

Krish the Fish 07-10-2010 11:53 PM

Hypothetically speaking of course, I (would) get a 30 rack of Natty to polish off a night. For the price (and considering I'm trying to get my body in shape), it's the right beer at the right price. Also, it has a bit of a bite to it, which I enjoy in a beer.

If it's a six-pack, my first choice would be Bell's Oberon, followed probably by Brooklyn Lager. Seasonally, I enjoy the fine taste of Great Lakes' Christmas Ale in the winter season; so around that time, it's what I'll spring the good $$ for.

macsauce13 07-10-2010 11:54 PM

Still in college. The current rotation

Miller High Life
Newcastle Brown Ale
Kentucky Ale (from the tap)

In all reality, I really like all three of these beers! If you haven't tried Newcastle, give it a shot!

icehog3 07-11-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 912694)
OK, so let's time-travel back to your college years, and hypothetically say you took some time off from studying to drink a few beers. You and a buddy scraped enough cash up between you to buy some beers. What was your college beer of choice?

I went to school in Ohio, and there it was generally Mickey Wide Mouths, or Little Kings if we were really desperate. If it was summer and I was back in New York, it was probably either Schaeffer or Bud, since those are what my father usually drank. If my folks had company over, he would buy Lowenbrau, so I sometimes scored one of those.

Mickey's Big Mouths were one of our go-to's also, Warren.

Used to drive up to Steven's Point, Wisconsin once a summer and buy numerous cases of Point Beer before you could get it anywhere but there....$4 a case and a $1 deposit on the box.

Stroh's pounders (16 oz long necks) were cheap, but also required a deposit on the case.

Worst summer ever....one of my friend's brothers and his friends (yeah, they were chitbags) broke into a trailer outside a beer distribution warehouse and stole maybe 30 cases of Schlitz Malt Liquor....so we drank that for free all summer long....:pu

mosesbotbol 07-11-2010 04:28 AM

When is was in college, the beers we drank were

Haffenreffer Private Stock - 40 & 64 oz.
Colt 45 - 40 oz.
Olde English 800 - 40 oz.

I had a tough time taming the 64. It would always be too warm by the end. They really nailed it with the 40; just the right amount of beer to get things started.

taltos 07-11-2010 07:33 AM

Lets not forget

Narragansett
Utica Club
Genessee Cream Ale and other fine varieties
Carling Black Label
Schaeffer (the right beer to have if you're puking more than once)
Hamms
Red White and Blue
Dixie Beer

These are just a few that guarantee to make a lousy evening even worse.

Smokin Gator 07-11-2010 08:23 AM

In college we mostly drank kegs of whatever was cheap. It was usually Busch. If we went for cans/bottles it was usually Old Milwaukee or Pabst Blue Ribbon. No way I would drink an OM these days, but I still enjoy a PBR from time to time.

BigCat 07-11-2010 09:20 AM

Keystone Light
Black Label - it was $8 for a case
Beast and Beast Light
Busch Light
Coors light kegs when we'd have a party

Eventually we developed taste and started buying better beer and just switching to booze quicker. Although I still have a certain fondness for a 30 pack of stones.

Ogre 07-11-2010 09:35 AM

Lone Star Beer. Still a tradition at BBQ competitions in Texas. Have to have just one (all that anyone can handle) before judging. Boy I miss that!!!

ChicagoWhiteSox 07-11-2010 09:37 AM

Keystone, Bud, Miller.

Keystone for the most part though:r

ChicagoWhiteSox 07-11-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 912763)
Mickey's Big Mouths were one of our go-to's also, Warren.

Used to drive up to Steven's Point, Wisconsin once a summer and buy numerous cases of Point Beer before you could get it anywhere but there....$4 a case and a $1 deposit on the box.

Stroh's pounders (16 oz long necks) were cheap, but also required a deposit on the case.

Worst summer ever....one of my friend's brothers and his friends (yeah, they were chitbags) broke into a trailer outside a beer distribution warehouse and stole maybe 30 cases of Schlitz Malt Liquor....so we drank that for free all summer long....:pu

Thats funny Tom:r

BigCat 07-11-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 912786)
Olde English 800 - 40 oz.

They really nailed it with the 40; just the right amount of beer to get things started.

We used to play Edward 40 Hands, where we'd have two 40s taped to our hands and no one could go to the bathroom until they were done. Olde English was a staple, as was Mickeys. You'd get a pretty solid buzz basically pounding 80 ounces of malt liquor. In retrospect, we were idiots :D

BeerAdvocate 07-11-2010 10:47 AM

I didnt see anyone mention Pabst Blue Ribbon yet!

icehog3 07-11-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 912940)
I didnt see anyone mention Pabst Blue Ribbon yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 912866)
In college we mostly drank kegs of whatever was cheap. It was usually Busch. If we went for cans/bottles it was usually Old Milwaukee or Pabst Blue Ribbon. No way I would drink an OM these days, but I still enjoy a PBR from time to time.

;)