Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Back to pipe smoking (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40445)

MajorCaptSilly 12-23-2010 03:26 PM

Back to pipe smoking

I've been on hiatus from pipe smoking for about 4 years. Had some major sinus issues that were further irritated by pipe smoking. Well, I miss it too much. Of course, I sold off all my pipes and tobacco, so it's time to start anew. I won't be buying the expensive pipes this time. I'm gonna get 3 decent pipes and some of my favorite Virginias and see if I can handle a few bowls a week. I'm excited as I really, really enjoy smoking a pipe. I just wish I would have kept some of my Ser Jacapos and Cavvichi's!

MCS

RevSmoke 12-23-2010 03:57 PM

Re: Back to pipe smoking

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 1104882)
I've been on hiatus from pipe smoking for about 4 years. Had some major sinus issues that were further irritated by pipe smoking. Well, I miss it too much. Of course, I sold off all my pipes and tobacco, so it's time to start anew. I won't be buying the expensive pipes this time. I'm gonna get 3 decent pipes and some of my favorite Virginias and see if I can handle a few bowls a week. I'm excited as I really, really enjoy smoking a pipe. I just wish I would have kept some of my Ser Jacapos and Cavvichi's!

MCS

What do you consider a decent pipe and what do you consider expensive?

I'd look into estate pipes if I were you, you can get better pipes for about half the price of new.

BigFrank 12-23-2010 06:50 PM

Glad to have ya back MCS.

MajorCaptSilly 12-23-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1104916)
What do you consider a decent pipe and what do you consider expensive?

I'd look into estate pipes if I were you, you can get better pipes for about half the price of new.

Hey Todd,

I used to buy in the $250-$400 range as high end pipes. I'm looking at under $100 for my current stash. I just one a new no-name on ebay for $10.50. That's a good start! I'm well-aware of estate pipes. Went to the Chicago Pipe Show a few times and got some great deals there. My local Tinderbox used to carry Boswell's pipes and my first three were all Boswells. They were $33.00 each back when I first started pipe smoking. I see they have gone up quite a bit since then. The best pipe for the money for me was always Stanwell. Their lower priced pipes always smoked as good as the higher end stuff. My problem is a I have a real weakness for the Italian carvers, Rad Davis, & Mark Tinsky.

MCS

MarkinAZ 12-23-2010 10:25 PM

Glad to have you back on board Scott:tu

RevSmoke 12-24-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 1105175)
Hey Todd,

I used to buy in the $250-$400 range as high end pipes. I'm looking at under $100 for my current stash. I just one a new no-name on ebay for $10.50. That's a good start! I'm well-aware of estate pipes. Went to the Chicago Pipe Show a few times and got some great deals there. My local Tinderbox used to carry Boswell's pipes and my first three were all Boswells. They were $33.00 each back when I first started pipe smoking. I see they have gone up quite a bit since then. The best pipe for the money for me was always Stanwell. Their lower priced pipes always smoked as good as the higher end stuff. My problem is a I have a real weakness for the Italian carvers, Rad Davis, & Mark Tinsky.

MCS

To the Italians, Rad, and Mark, I add Lee vonErck. I have a couple of his, but his prices are way more than I can afford now.

I have a rotation of about 13 pipes: 2 Castellos, a Radice, a Don Carlos, an Ascorti, a Becker, 2 vonErckss, a Stanwell, a no-name, and a few cobs.

God's blessings.

MajorCaptSilly 12-24-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1105633)
To the Italians, Rad, and Mark, I add Lee vonErck. I have a couple of his, but his prices are way more than I can afford now.

I have a rotation of about 13 pipes: 2 Castellos, a Radice, a Don Carlos, an Ascorti, a Becker, 2 vonErckss, a Stanwell, a no-name, and a few cobs.

God's blessings.

Lee is a great guy. We used to correspond via email quite a bit and I caught up with him at the Chicago show when I went. I had a couple of his as well. That oil curing he does makes for a remarkable smoke!

MCS

VirtualSmitty 12-24-2010 12:38 PM

Welcome back to the wonderful world of pipes :tu

MajorCaptSilly 12-24-2010 09:21 PM

First tobacco order;

G.L. Pease Tin - Haddo's
Delight (2oz.)
Hearth & Home Anniversary
Kake (ounces)
Hearth & Home AJ's VaPer
(ounces)
Hearth & Home Louisiana
Red (ounces)
Hearth & Home Marble Kake
(ounces)
Hearth & Home Stogie
(ounces)

I was always a fan of Russ' blends and Haddo's will be my first bowl as that is the tobacco that is calling me back!

MCS

BigFrank 12-25-2010 10:29 AM

Don't judge Aj's too harsh. I found it rough when it first arrived. But Slow T was nice enough to send me some that had been resting ~2 yrs and it was amazing.