Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nicotine (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52275)

44stampede 01-01-2012 06:26 PM

Nicotine

Hey guys,

How much nicotine is in an average cigar compared to a cigarette?

Does it change as the cigar ages?

Cheers

chippewastud79 01-01-2012 06:33 PM

Re: Nicotine

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44stampede (Post 1517848)

Depends on the cigar.
Quote:

Does it change as the cigar ages?

Yes.

icehog3 01-01-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1517852)
Depends on the cigar.

Yup.....there's not really an "average cigar", the blends differ significantly.

BC-Axeman 01-01-2012 07:01 PM

Different absorption because you don't inhale cigar smoke. I'm just guessing that cigar tobacco has less nicotine per gram weight just because of the fermentation. Just a guess.

markem 01-01-2012 07:08 PM

Fourth article under a google search "nicotine cigar cigarette"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_cigars_..._more_nicotine

Basically, what has already been said but with some pointers.

another, similar, link

http://cigarcypha.com/?p=17

ApexAZ 01-01-2012 08:20 PM

I'm curious how much nicotine contributes to flavor. Anyone know? Didn't find much on the google.

T.G 01-01-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1517918)
I'm curious how much nicotine contributes to flavor. Anyone know? Didn't find much on the google.

Nicotine is both flavorless and odorless I believe.

Silound 01-01-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1517937)
Nicotine is both flavorless and odorless I believe.

Nicotine is an alkaloid, therefore it will have a slightly bitter unpleasant taste in a natural, more pure form. In its presence in tobacco, there is not enough nicotine to generally produce a distinct flavor, although it is possible.

T.G 01-01-2012 09:40 PM

Thanks.:tu

ApexAZ 01-02-2012 12:21 PM

So, one of the talking points against regulation of cigars by the FDA is their intent to reduce nicotine content in cigars, which they (opposition of the regulation) claim will have an adverse affect on their flavor.

I'm not saying I agree with the legislation, but I wish we could get some honesty from both sides.

Unless of course the process of removing it will somehow impact the flavor of the leaves themselves. Maybe I just don't fully understand.

BC-Axeman 01-02-2012 12:28 PM

The process of reducing the nicotine would almost certainly affect the flavor.

ApexAZ 01-02-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1518320)
The process of reducing the nicotine would almost certainly affect the flavor.

Yeah, I suppose it would depend on the method used. Either way, people should have a choice.

Personally I prefer less nicotine. The less, the better.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but the talk of nicotine made me think of this and wonder where they got their information, or how accurate it is.

Big Maduro 01-02-2012 03:14 PM

It's a personal choice. Why not reduce the ammount of alchohol in booze? Or goveners on cars to reduce speed,etc etc. They just feel a need to justify thier existance.

Bill86 01-02-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Maduro (Post 1518446)
It's a personal choice. Why not reduce the ammount of alchohol in booze? Or goveners on cars to reduce speed,etc etc. They just feel a need to justify thier existance.

Lets not do that, terrible idea. :td

Big Maduro 01-02-2012 03:31 PM

Sorry about the rant. I do want to share this concerning nicotine. I chained smoked cigs for 30 years. ( up to 3 packs a day) Nicotine is what makes cigs addictive. I quit 3 years ago. I have been smoking cigars for almost a year now. I can smoke (and do) sometimes 2 cigars a week with no cravings.

NCRadioMan 01-02-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Maduro (Post 1518469)
Nicotine is what makes cigs addictive.

Or perhaps the manipulation of nicotine by big tobacco increasing the natural nicotine content 400-500% from it's natural level.

Even then, I don't think it's so much the nicotine than it is hand-to-mouth addiction and latent oral fixations. But that's for another thread. :D

BnBTobacco 01-02-2012 07:42 PM

Cigars are "healthier" than cigarettes as they contain lesser amounts of nicotine but as to specific quantity, I am not certain.

bobarian 01-02-2012 07:51 PM

I'm getting an itch. :sh

44stampede 01-02-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Maduro (Post 1518469)
Sorry about the rant. I do want to share this concerning nicotine. I chained smoked cigs for 30 years. ( up to 3 packs a day) Nicotine is what makes cigs addictive. I quit 3 years ago. I have been smoking cigars for almost a year now. I can smoke (and do) sometimes 2 cigars a week with no cravings.

This is nice to know. I was a bit concerned (which is why I put up this thread) about the addictive nature of smoking cigars now that I am getting addicted to buying them!

I do feel the urge to smoke more but I am unsure at this point how much the "being excited" of experimenting plays a role.

Big Maduro 01-02-2012 10:29 PM

That's something only you will be able to decide. The buying and trying new sticks is addictive in itself. I feel I have a handel on these that I never had with my camels. During the past several months,there has been a couple of weeks in between cigars at times. Just keep an eye on yourself and be honest with your self, Mike