Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What's in your smoker? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21946)

tuxpuff 09-22-2009 03:24 PM

What's in your smoker?

Have something in your smoker? Let's see some pics!

Fired mine up last weekend for the football games.

Pork butt, brisket, couple racks of ribs, and bbq beans.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0003-3.jpg

KalisGR3 09-22-2009 04:37 PM

Re: What's in your smoker?

Ummmm....Can I come over?:dr

Smokin Gator 09-22-2009 04:46 PM

Killer looking bark on the butt and brisket!!!! What happened to the rest of the flat on that brisket??? Did you eat it already before the pic??:r:r

tuxpuff 09-22-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 562869)
Killer looking bark on the butt and brisket!!!! What happened to the rest of the flat on that brisket??? Did you eat it already before the pic??:r:r

It was a short flat...or a big point...one or the other! :D

Smokin Gator 09-22-2009 05:05 PM

IMO you got the best of the brisket anyway... the point with a little bit of the flat!!!! I bet it was tasty!!

tuxpuff 09-22-2009 05:29 PM

Heck yea..we call it the 'wet' over here...and it sure was wet and oh so yummy.

Smokin Gator 09-22-2009 06:11 PM

My family will hardly eat sliced brisket anymore. They want point that is cooked until it is black, then cubed, then seasoned with some more rub, then sauced and put back on the smoker for a while (burnt ends). I have actually started cubing the whole brisket and doing the whole thing like that. MMMMmmmm!!!

Smokin Gator 09-22-2009 06:13 PM

BTW... I love your Dutch Oven for beans!!! That one looks like it has seen the smoker once or twice!!

tuxpuff 09-22-2009 06:56 PM

Man that sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of the burnt ends :dr

Haha yeah that dutch oven has been around the block a few times...makes a nice pot of beans.

raisin 09-25-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 562869)

Mastectomy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 563083)
BTW... I love your Dutch Oven for beans!!! That one looks like it has seen the smoker once or twice!!

On the Weber Smoky Mountain you can place the bean pot on the bottom shelf and the butts on the top shelf. The pork fat renders into the beans and introduces a richness that is :banger

I picked up a nice Waygu flat that i'm going to cure and turn into pastrami. I'm hoping that the high fat content will produce a similiar mouth-feel to the beef plate that they use in the traditional preparation.
(btw, i've experienced Waygu deckle (point), and it is sickenly rich.)

T.G 09-25-2009 08:08 PM

After seeing the tuxpuff's photo, I am not even going to bother embarrassing myself by posting photos.

tuxpuff 09-26-2009 07:31 AM

Bah! Post em up T.G!

tuxpuff 09-26-2009 07:32 AM

Another week of football...another pork butt and brisket. So far 8 hours on the butt...10 hours on the brisket.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0037.jpg

mosesbotbol 09-27-2009 07:40 AM

How much smoke gets added to the baked beans? I would imagine a lot if they are in there for a while.

Not doing anything with the WSM this weekend.

One thing I suggest all to try when using their smoker is making smoked salt. Put a cup of salt on a plate and just leave in the smoker. Stir it a couple of times and that's it. It's wonderful to use in food; gives it a hint of smoke.

Try with eggs, tomatoes, meats cooked inside... List goes on and on...

raisin 09-27-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 569522)
How much smoke gets added to the baked beans? I would imagine a lot if they are in there for a while.

Not doing anything with the WSM this weekend.

One thing I suggest all to try when using their smoker is making smoked salt. Put a cup of salt on a plate and just leave in the smoker. Stir it a couple of times and that's it. It's wonderful to use in food; gives it a hint of smoke.

Try with eggs, tomatoes, meats cooked inside... List goes on and on...

The beans taste of smoke, but not as much as the meat. Putting the beans under the butt (lol), you get more smoke and spice as the pot collects everything that drips off of the butt. They are the ultimate beans.

Smoked salt is great (roast beef sandwich...) and smoking your own is incredibly cheaper than buying it on the web!:tu

raisin 09-27-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 568507)
Another week of football...another pork butt and brisket. So far 8 hours on the butt...10 hours on the brisket.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0037.jpg

Those Texas steers must be not as long as cows in the NE, either that or you trim off the prospective shoe-leather before smoking...

captain53 09-27-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 563158)
Man that sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of the burnt ends :dr

Haha yeah that dutch oven has been around the block a few times...makes a nice pot of beans.

Up here in MO burnt ends are a big thing and I have grown to luv them! :tpd:

mosesbotbol 09-29-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin (Post 567998)

On the Weber Smoky Mountain you can place the bean pot on the bottom shelf and the butts on the top shelf. The pork fat renders into the beans and introduces a richness that is :banger

Awesome idea!

BTW, do you have a bean recipe you care to share?

kgoings 09-29-2009 05:08 PM

Great pics!

raisin 09-29-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 573651)
Awesome idea!

BTW, do you have a bean recipe you care to share?

I always trust Alton Brown's...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

T.G 10-07-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 568504)
Bah! Post em up T.G!

At the risk of embarrasment in comparason to what you've got going in your pit...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/263...ledchicken.jpg

Did 15 chicken thighs (about 6.5lbs) for pulled chicken last week.

Steve 10-07-2009 10:05 AM

Looks great. I can't believe that I missed this one until now. I'm slipping in my old age!

I have 2 levels in my smoker, so if there is room, I puit the beans under the pork butts for a while and let the dripin's season them up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 562758)
Have something in your smoker? Let's see some pics!

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0003-3.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 563083)

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 588391)
At the risk of embarrasment in comparason to what you've got going in your pit...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/263...ledchicken.jpg

Did 15 chicken thighs (about 6.5lbs) for pulled chicken last week.

Dang that looks tasty...thighs are my favorite. Do you have some kind of separator for the coals?

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 588448)
Looks great. I can't believe that I missed this one until now. I'm slipping in my old age!

I have 2 levels in my smoker, so if there is room, I puit the beans under the pork butts for a while and let the dripin's season them up.

Yeah I also have 2 levels...was just too lazy to pull the rack that time. I need to give that technique a shot next time.

Steve 10-07-2009 01:17 PM

http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictur...4-13%20005.jpg

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 01:46 PM

Nice smoker! I wish my two levels were that easy to get at. My only question...why is there not a cigar in your hand? :)

T.G 10-07-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 588685)
Dang that looks tasty...thighs are my favorite. Do you have some kind of separator for the coals?

Thanks bro. I was experimenting with cinnamon, sage and ginger in the brine and a garlic, black pepper, chili powder, bell's seasoning & season salt rub and it worked out really well.

I'm using firebricks as seperators - here's a few better photos:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6930/firebricks2.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8077/firebricks3.jpg

mosesbotbol 10-07-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 588923)
Thanks bro. I was experimenting with cinnamon, sage and ginger in the brine and a garlic, black pepper, chili powder, bell's seasoning & season salt rub and it worked out really well.

Use the cinamon stick in the fire. Put them on with the meat so it has time to get in. I'll soak the sticks for about minute in water first. Buy the cinamon at an Indian grocery store and they are wicked cheap. You'll be amazed by the fragrant smoke the barrels out from cinamon.

If you are doing pork, you can also throw in a clove or two into the fire but watch out! You're gonna laugh when you see/smell how short and intense the smoke is! :banger

Steve 10-07-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 588891)
Nice smoker! I wish my two levels were that easy to get at. My only question...why is there not a cigar in your hand? :)

Actually, it's in the cigar clamp attached to the shelf behind me. Whenever anyone around the church smells a cigar, they immediately ask where I am.

:ss

T.G 10-07-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 588934)
Use the cinamon stick in the fire. Put them on with the meat so it has time to get in. I'll soak the sticks for about minute in water first. Buy the cinamon at an Indian grocery store and they are wicked cheap. You'll be amazed by the fragrant smoke the barrels out from cinamon.

If you are doing pork, you can also throw in a clove or two into the fire but watch out! You're gonna laugh when you see/smell how short and intense the smoke is! :banger

Ohhh, I like that idea.

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 588923)

I'm using firebricks as seperators - here's a few better photos:

Cool...great idea. I'll need to use that for my small grill. :tu

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 588938)
Actually, it's in the cigar clamp attached to the shelf behind me. Whenever anyone around the church smells a cigar, they immediately ask where I am.

:ss

Pavlov's dog...they smell a cigar and need BBQ? :banger

Steve 10-07-2009 02:49 PM

Pretty close!

Funny thing is, My sister-in-law (who lives 4 blocks away) manages to show up unanounced within 30 minutes of me firing up the smoker...everytime. I kept accusing my wife of calling her on the phone, but that wasn't the case. Must be a 7th sense :dr :D

T.G 10-07-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 588970)

They work surprisingly well as buffers to even out the heat. With them in place, I can load about an entire weber chimney worth of fuel in there, so I'll get about 1/3 of a chimney full of k-briqs going, then dump that in there along with about 1/2 to 2/3 of chimney of unlit briqs plus smoke wood and let the minion method do it's thing - end result: about a 6 hour cook with no adding of fuel necessary.

I have the fire bricked 22OTG going right now with a small pork shoulder in it - it's holding 240F nicely.

Make sure you get firebricks, not red clay or concrete bricks - the latter two can shatter.

LooseCard 10-07-2009 03:13 PM

Damn.
I'm always seeing other's photos, but never think to take any myself.

One of these days....

Great ideas regarding the beans. Guess I'd have to get a Dutch oven first.... LOL.

Love the food-p*rn guys. Keep up the good work.

(BTW: I'm a Pork Butt guy, mainly.)

Steve 10-07-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 588970)

I have an older New Braunfels Black Diamond patio smoker in addition to my tow-behind. I use fire bricks below the cooking grate to help "tune" the cooking chamber temperature. They add thermal mass that helps me maintain temperature longer and uses less fuel. I have also modified the stack height to improve airflow. My wife say's that it's a hold over from racing days of my youth...Hot Rodding the Smoker.

Steve 10-07-2009 03:23 PM

I'm always up for some BBQ P_m...

http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictur...Pork%20020.jpg

http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictur...4-06%20005.jpg

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 03:33 PM

Daaaaaang Steve...you da man!

Mr B 10-07-2009 04:04 PM

Right On Steve! Thats awesome!

T.G 10-07-2009 09:04 PM

Just pulled this small (4.5lb) pork shoulder off of the bbq - it's now resting in a warm cooler contemplating the meaning of life for the next 30-45 minutes or so.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2734/porkshoulder.jpg
(crappy kodak camera doesn't take good photos in low light)

First time I've coated a shoulder with mustard before the rub, not sure if I used too much mustard or if that's how it's supposed to be, but the mustard & rub bark is like frickin' plaster. I think it's a good thing though, since it rendered maybe 1 to 2 TBS of fat into the drip pan for a 6.5-7 hour cook and damn near squirted me when I went to pull the thermometer out.

(keeping fingers crossed)

Steve 10-07-2009 09:34 PM

Looks great! I bet it tastes even better!

tuxpuff 10-07-2009 10:33 PM

That's a hella bark there brother! Let us know how it turned out. I've never used mustard before...would love to hear what you think.

T.G 10-07-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 589586)
Looks great! I bet it tastes even better!

Thanks. Tastes pretty damn good.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/659/pulledpork.jpg

T.G 10-07-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 589625)
That's a hella bark there brother! Let us know how it turned out. I've never used mustard before...would love to hear what you think.

It came out really well.

Here's what I did - mind you, this was a first time for me, so I just kind of made it up as I went along.

Last night, I coated the shoulder cut with rub (basically equal parts seasoned salt, granulated garlic and black pepper, and a half-part chili powder) then wrapped it up tightly in saran wrap and put it in the refrigerator.

Right before cooking, I brushed a generous coat of French's yellow mustard over the shoulder right over the top of the rub that I applied last night (all but the fat cap - no reason to coat that), then just loaded the shoulder up with more rub, this time adding an additional half part of coriander, mustard powder (I read that yellow mustard loses it's flavor during a long cook, so that's why I added the mustard powder) and cumin to the rub above. When I say loaded it up, I mean it; I coated that thing, probably used 6 TBS of rub. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but I was aiming for a solid garlic/salt/black pepper crust when this came out of the smoker.

The mustard / rub combo was like clay, which promptly turned to a plaster-like bark in the smoker. No BS, it was over an 1/8 of an inch thick, probably closer to 1/4" in some spots. It really trapped the juices, but it also kept the smoke from penetrating. I smoked with two 1-1/2""x2" chunks of each of the following: hickory, cherry and apple - and they only moderately penetrated the coating. That much smoke wood would have seriously oversmoked that little cut of pork without the mustard coat.

In retrospect, next time I'm going to cut back on the salts in the rub, don't get me wrong, the bark is delicious, but getting a big chunk of it with a forkful of pork is like licking a block of salt. I'm also thinking about using something like a pecan or oak for smoke.

T.G 10-07-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 589640)
Right before cooking, I brushed a generous coat of French's yellow mustard over the shoulder right over the top of the rub that I applied last night (all but the fat cap - no reason to coat that), then just loaded the shoulder up with more rub, this time adding an additional half part of coriander, mustard powder (I read that yellow mustard loses it's flavor during a long cook, so that's why I added the mustard powder) and cumin to the rub above. When I say loaded it up, I mean it; I coated that thing, probably used 6 TBS of rub. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but I was aiming for a solid garlic/salt/black pepper crust when this came out of the smoker.

Sorry, that's not really clear - what I mean is that I mixed up more of the rub I described earlier, and this time added the additional ingredients listed to it.

tuxpuff 10-08-2009 11:18 AM

Looks tasty! That's good info about the smoke penetration in regards to the mustard. I'm personally a big fan of heavy smoke flavor. I can't wait to get the next butt on the smoker...especially since Smokin Gator gifted me with some amazing rubs.

tuxpuff 10-08-2009 11:20 AM

Oh and not sure if you've seen it Adam...but here was my first attempt at smoked butt...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19926

T.G 10-08-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 590382)
Looks tasty! That's good info about the smoke penetration in regards to the mustard. I'm personally a big fan of heavy smoke flavor. I can't wait to get the next butt on the smoker...especially since Smokin Gator gifted me with some amazing rubs.

I once used the same smoking wood combo - six chunks, two each hickory, cherry and apple before on a shoulder that was about the same size as this one, but no mustard coat, and it was over-smoked, it had that tarry, make your mouth feel like you just sucked on a cotton ball type taste & profile.

This time, with a generous mustard coat and heavy rub coat, that same amount of smoking wood yielded a nice smoked flavor, prominent, but not overbearing.

mosesbotbol 10-15-2009 01:24 PM

Made this yesterday as a birthday gift to a friend. I started it at 9:00 PM, refilled the charcoal at 5:00 AM and finished the 8 LB Butt around 10:30. The Boston baked beans finished around 11:30 AM with overnight soaked Navy beans. This is my first time cooking beans under the butt and it worked well. There's enough juice and fat to cook the beans uncovered! I trimmed a little off the butt and put in the beans at start. Quite happy with the results with both.

I used Kingsford Competition with about 10 cinamon sticks and about 5 chunks of local applewood.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...l/photo-46.jpg

Steve 10-15-2009 02:14 PM

:tu:tu

I really like to do my beans under the butt like that. One thing that I didn't mention is that I cut way back on the salt that I use in the beans. I have enough salt in my run that drips off the butt that it makes the beans way too salty if I don't. But I really like the flavor my "butt drippins'" give my beans :ss

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 601505)
Made this yesterday as a birthday gift to a friend. I started it at 9:00 PM, refilled the charcoal at 5:00 AM and finished the 8 LB Butt around 10:30. The Boston baked beans finished around 11:30 AM with overnight soaked Navy beans. This is my first time cooking beans under the butt and it worked well. There's enough juice and fat to cook the beans uncovered! I trimmed a little off the butt and put in the beans at start. Quite happy with the results with both.

I used Kingsford Competition with about 10 cinamon sticks and about 5 chunks of local applewood.