Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Official SEC Football Thread 2012 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57609)

Powers 08-18-2012 10:45 AM

Official SEC Football Thread 2012

Six consecutive BCS National Champions (Florida 06, LSU 07, Florida 08, Alabama 09, Auburn 10, Alabama 11)

Five teams in the AP Preseason top 10, included #2 Bama & #3 LSU, and six in the preseason top 25.

With the realign of college football conferences, the rest of the nation is trying to catch up with the dominance of the SEC; good luck. "The Zou" of Missouri and the 12th Man of Texas A&M join the likes of coeds in checkered fedoras in Bryant-Denny, Woo Pig Sooie in the Arkansas Ozarks, Mr. Two-Bits in Ben Hill Griffin, and the Cockpit in Carolina.

The history of victory, the geography of supremacy. The SEC is not merely a conference - it's a league of its own.

Fire up the grill, put the beers on ice - its time for some good ol' SEC football

:banger

Powers 08-18-2012 10:48 AM

Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2012

2 Bits, 4 Bits, 6 Bits, A Dollar: All for the Gators, Stand Up and Holler!

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...gators-5-1.gif

:tu

SvilleKid 08-18-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1701822)
Six consecutive BCS National Champions (Florida 06, LSU 07, Florida 08, Alabama 09, Auburn 10, Alabama 11)

Five teams in the AP Preseason top 10, included #2 Bama & #3 LSU, and six in the preseason top 25.

With the realign of college football conferences, the rest of the nation is trying to catch up with the dominance of the SEC; good luck. "The Zou" of Missouri and the 12th Man of Texas A&M join the likes of coeds in checkered fedoras in Bryant-Denny, Woo Pig Sooie in the Arkansas Ozarks, Mr. Two-Bits in Ben Hill Griffin, and the Cockpit in Carolina.

The history of victory, the geography of supremacy. The SEC is not merely a conference - it's a league of its own.

Fire up the grill, put the beers on ice - its time for some good ol' SEC football

:banger

Roll Tide Roll!

Get em, SEC!!! Another National Champ will emerge from the SEC this year. :noon:D

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...rimsontide.jpg

hammondc 08-18-2012 02:58 PM

OK...the preseason poll is out. I am starting it. SEC dominating the top 10.

AP Top 25
RK TEAM
1 USC (25)
2 Alabama (17)
3 LSU (16)
4 Oklahoma (1)
5 Oregon
6 Georgia
7 Florida State
8 Michigan (1)
9 South Carolina
10 Arkansas
11 West Virginia
12 Wisconsin
13 Michigan State
14 Clemson
15 Texas
16 Virginia Tech
17 Nebraska
19 Oklahoma State
20 TCU
21 Stanford
22 Kansas State
23 Florida
24 Boise State
25 Louisville

OLS 08-21-2012 06:41 PM

I was going to place my first smart comment in the other thread, but it really is best ended with the info
pointing it to this thread. I guess I was gonna say "No thanks, I wouldn't fit in at that new thread."

I think I will start it early.

That Roll Tide image is just plain awful. I know it's hard to combine Tide and Elephants, but that is just weird.
Although it does seem a good image for saving African Wildlife from slaughter or something. Nothing against
UA, but their artistic fans need to go back to the drawing board with that one. :D

OLS 08-21-2012 06:47 PM

I was struck to see 25 first place votes (I imagine that's what that means) for USC.
Granted the pre-season is famous for meaning nothing, and likely less than nothing.
But I think Lane Kiffen is not going to be able to field a team talented enough to
overcome his tendency to be a total loser, douchebag, Baby Huey-lookin MF.

Now, I know nothing about football, but I do know how to string a curse word together.
And to me, that's as good as it gets on predicting success or failure in Division 1 football.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a.../ilikemike.jpg

Powers 08-21-2012 08:51 PM

I gotta agree w/ya Brad, I laughed when I saw USC in the top 5, let alone ranked #1. They might have the talent to be there, but Kiffin has literally accomplished NOTHING. He'll flop big time and I can't wait to watch it.

Similarly, I think Georgia is way overrated. Yeah there schedule is a gift from God but Richt isn't an elite coach and will never get them over the hump. They'll never win a national championship and I highly doubt an SEC one w/him at the helm, even with the advantage of a cupcake schedule.

I'm confident that South Carolina will represent the East in Atlanta and am oscillating b/w LSU or Arkansas to represent the West/win it and go on to play for a national title. The Hawgs, where I have just begun studying for my PhD, have LSU & Bama in Fayetteville.

Prediction for the National Championship game if you put a gun to my head now:

Oklahoma vs LSU

icehog3 08-21-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1701825)
2 Bits, 4 Bits, 6 Bits, A Dollar: All for the Gators, Stand Up and Holler!

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...gators-5-1.gif

:tu

I'm a Gator fan too, but without much hope for being in the mix in 2012. At least hope we beat the Semiholes.

And hoping the 2012 National Champ comes from the greatest division in college football, the SEC!

longknocker 08-22-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1701833)
Roll Tide Roll!

Get em, SEC!!! Another National Champ will emerge from the SEC this year. :noon:D

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...rimsontide.jpg

I Agree With Cliff!:banger Roll, Tide!:tu

OLS 08-22-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1703419)
Oklahoma vs LSU

That does not look bad right there in print....I like it, Pow-pow.
Greg, it's not my searing hatred of the Tide, it's the ridiculous pairing of elephants and red water. :D

OLS 08-22-2012 12:59 PM

Well personally, I prefer an elephant driving a submarine with Denzel Washington.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...MKTG/mike4.gif

LSU, Hypnotizing fans since 1860

longknocker 08-23-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1703739)
That does not look bad right there in print....I like it, Pow-pow.
Greg, it's not my searing hatred of the Tide, it's the ridiculous pairing of elephants and red water. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1703787)
Well personally, I prefer an elephant driving a submarine with Denzel Washington.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...MKTG/mike4.gif

LSU, Hypnotizing fans since 1860

Reminds Me Of "War", Guys!:D Can't Wait For SEC Football; Going To The BAMA/Michigan Game In Cowboy Stadium Sept. 1!:banger

OLS 08-23-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1704146)
Reminds Me Of "War", Guys!:D Can't Wait For SEC Football; Going To The BAMA/Michigan Game In Cowboy Stadium Sept. 1!:banger

If we could have scored a point we could have played in that game, lol.

hammondc 08-27-2012 09:11 AM

Bout time.......

OLS 08-29-2012 10:47 AM

Jaws theme

Powers 08-29-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1707609)
Jaws theme

Exactly, 'cause the Gators do the chomp to the Jaws theme :D

hammondc 08-30-2012 08:05 AM

Gameday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLS 08-30-2012 09:59 AM

I totally forgot you guys were leading off early. Might have to find a TV, since I know it won't be on a local.
Guessing ESPN, home of sports I can't watch.

hammondc 08-30-2012 06:47 PM

It's on ESPN. Shitty game though. Looks like Shaw may be out. If so....we need to hang it up.

jjirons69 08-31-2012 06:31 AM

I put $20 on the Shamecocks (-7) as I thought they knew how to play football. That's what I get for messing with the dark side. :sad

Lesson learned!

Now, on to my Tigers over Auburn tomorrow night. I'm still ready to see some good football.

hammondc 08-31-2012 07:59 AM

Agree. Rough win. For some reason, Vandy ALWAYS gives them a fit. They better get it together or it will be a very long season.

Good luck Saturday.

OLS 08-31-2012 11:29 AM

Since no one wanted to give me any slack over a pass interference call that went uncalled
against LSU 3-4 years ago, I am gonna come down on the side of the poor Vanderbilt
Coomodores for the unbelievable missed call driving in the 4th quarter. In real time I did
not see it, in slo mo, the ref's head isn't QUITE turned enough to see it. But that was a
rob job for sure. As I told everyone when the Tigers got jacked and lost their chance
to play for it all on a similar call then, I will say that you can NEVER let your game ride on
one call. If you want to win, you have to score enough to negate any missed or bad
calls. Vandy didn't get it done. But it's a shame such a blatant hack ends up going down
in the books as a good pass defense and an incomplete pass. Congrats to the Cocks
fans, I could care less about Vandy. I do feel bad for em though.

hammondc 08-31-2012 02:51 PM

I agree. It should have been called. It happens every season to all teams. SC just happened to be on the good side this time.

emopunker2004 08-31-2012 10:58 PM

Is it game time yet?

hammondc 09-01-2012 08:26 AM

Good games today. I need Auburn to upset the taters and Bama to bury a fist in Michigans there.

SvilleKid 09-01-2012 01:22 PM

Georgia had a 100 yrd kick return. Doesn't look like the new touchback and kickoff rules slowed down their run back action.

SvilleKid 09-01-2012 01:29 PM

Any consensus on which game to watch this afternoon?

Options appear to be: So. Miss at Nebraska. Bowling Green at Florida. Iowa at No. Illinois. Miami at BC. Colorado State at Colorado.

Gotta say that none of these excite me

OLS 09-02-2012 07:12 AM

Whew, the tide raised up a snot bobble on the poor Wolverines. Almost as tough to watch as my poor old Alma Mater
Southern Mississippi getting their a55es handed to em. USM is always game, though. They really started the now
ubiquitous "ANYone, ANYtime ANYwhere" motto. They have played a tough out of conference schedule
for many decades.

hammondc 09-02-2012 08:28 AM

Enjoyed watching Bama curb stomp Michigan. Hey, Big 10--- Until you can provide a team that can keep up....sit down and shut up about the SEC dominating National Championships.

Good game by the Taters vs Auburn. Looks like Auburn is struggling this year.

emopunker2004 09-02-2012 08:35 AM

Had a good time at the gator game yesterday. Glad they won, but boy did they play like ****!

Mr. Ed 09-02-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1709616)
Whew, the tide raised up a snot bobble on the poor Wolverines. Almost as tough to watch as my poor old Alma Mater
Southern Mississippi getting their a55es handed to em. USM is always game, though. They really started the now
ubiquitous "ANYone, ANYtime ANYwhere" motto. They have played a tough out of conference schedule
for many decades.

The first half of the USM game was pretty entertaining. They missed two good touchdown opportunities late in the 1st half and Nebraska (especially Martinez) proved to be too much.

Really enjoyed watching the Auburn/Clemson game last night. Probably one of the better games this weekend. 'Bama beat up on Michigan (no surprise there). I kind of wanted the Big 10 to put on a better showing though. Bulldogs, LSU, Tennessee looked good.

SvilleKid 09-02-2012 10:56 AM

I'm wondering how deep on the season the Michigan QB will make it? He appears to be tough, but got his bell rung hard on several plays that were not very wisely executed. Taking the chances he took (for a QB) carries a high risk of season ending injury. I appreciate that he was the one that probably stopped a TD on the interception, but he may want to practice his tackling a little (granted QBs rarely need to tackle). I was greatly impressed with Michigan's punter! Boy could launch that football.

Is it just me, or is it a little early to start pushing Hiesman candidates?

I have to say, I thought the Big Ten refs called a much better game than I'm used to seeing from SEC refs. Still too many penalties for Bama. A new year, new players, new rules in place, but Bama will need to work on reducing the penalties.

maninblack 09-02-2012 11:52 AM

SEC is going to be tough again this year. Big Ten doesn't look too hot other than Ohio State. I'm a huge Husker fan and was impressed with Martinez's evolution from last year but time will tell how they end up. Braxton Miller looks amazing. He has Heisman talk all over him. But this is an SEC thread. Sorry for hijacking.

Mr. Ed 09-04-2012 11:22 AM

Bama #1 in AP Poll!! Is Georgia for real this year? Looking at their schedule they have a decent shot at going 11-1 heading into the SEC championship, but it's the SEC so you never know. I hope they put a whooping on Mizzou after one of their DTs said they play "old man football". I think Mizzou is going to have a rough welcome to the SEC.

Powers 09-04-2012 11:51 AM

Boy did Florida look sloppy, way to many penalties. I was not quoting scripture either when Bowling Green drove the field on our "team strength" defense for that first score. Positives are that Gillislee looks like the real deal and I think we made the right decision in giving Driskel the starting job.

Really looking forward to the A&M game next week. I have no idea how we will perform and I think this is a crucial moment for Muschamp. Would not be good to lose in College Station and then have to turn around and play at Tennessee.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Florida will pull out a close one and win by a field goal :tu

Powers 09-04-2012 11:54 AM

And boy did 'Bama look good. Clearly deserve the #1 spot after embarrassing Michigan in front of their Mommas.

As an side, this captures the history of Kentucky football in a nutshell:

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...-FIVE-FAIL.gif

:r

Mr. Ed 09-04-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1710665)
And boy did 'Bama look good. Clearly deserve the #1 spot after embarrassing Michigan in front of their Mommas.

As an side, this captures the history of Kentucky football in a nutshell:

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...-FIVE-FAIL.gif

jsnake 09-04-2012 01:03 PM

Can't wait until all you holier than thou guys eat your words when MIZZOU puts a surprise whoop ass on all your teams. All you guys and your teams are cocky and have no where to go but down. Walk into the ZOU thinking you have the game won already would be a huge mistake. Missouri has no where to go but up.

North Carolina thought they were going to walk into the Independence Bowl last year and win just by showing up. Listening to the joke they call sportscasters, they dogged the crap out of MIZZOU about how tough of a loss this game was going to be because no way they were going to beat NC. By the second half the idiot sportscasters and the entire NC team had no idea what was going on or how to deal with it.

Georgia is going down in Columbia on Saturday and I will be there to enjoy every minute of it.

Missouri is 19-8-1 all time against SEC teams. This includes a very impressive 7-2 record against SEC teams in bowl games. Just recently Missouri beat South Carolina in the 2005 Independence Bowl and beat Arkansas in the 2008 Cotton Bowl.

Powers 09-04-2012 01:32 PM

Glad to have some input from one of the new SEC teams. Not sure where the hostility came from though :confused:

1.) How are we all "holier than thou"?

2.) Isn't every fan a homer and optimistic about their team, guess you would call that "cocky". "Georgia is going down in Columbia on Saturday" seems pretty cocky to me

3.) All our teams have nowhere to go but down? Have you ever watched Vandy or Kentucky or Ole Miss play? As a Florida fan, I think the Gators can go up considering our 7-6 record last year

4.) North Carolina is not in the SEC. But congrats on beating a basketball school

I think if you didn't come in guns blazing and managing to insult every team and fan of your new conference in a Lane Kiffin-esque manner you'd have been met with a warm welcome as a Missouri fan.

Nonetheless, I hope y'all do beat Georgia this week

PS - Here is the definition for "tact: a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense"

Mr. Ed 09-04-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powers (Post 1710743)
Glad to have some input from one of the new SEC teams. Not sure where the hostility came from though :confused:

I think this may have ruffled some feathers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ed (Post 1710644)
I hope they put a whooping on Mizzou after one of their DTs said they play "old man football". I think Mizzou is going to have a rough welcome to the SEC.

Sorry, I guess. :confused:

For the record, I'm not a homer of any team. I just love watching some SEC football. Best football conference in the country.:2

jsnake 09-04-2012 06:44 PM

Football season is time for talking smack. Wasn't being hostile just having fun and butting in. You know how passionate everyone is about their teams. Any team no matter how good is beatable any time they walk on the field is all I am saying. The MIZZOU can't compete or handle the SEC talk is just old and it isn't just fans. Some of these sportscaster guys are so biased it drives me nuts listening to them. I think MU will surprise a lot of people and doubters this year. If any of you come to town for a game hit me up. We might wear different colors but we can smoke some sticks and annoy the crap out of each other talking smack. I will be at every home game this year. Can't wait to see all the new teams we play.

By the way Georgia is one of my favorite teams to watch because I love the way they play. Really excited about Saturday's game. I am also a huge Iowa Hawkeyes fan.

P.S. - I know NC isn't in the SEC. Was just making a point about the doubters at the time including the sportscasters.

maninblack 09-04-2012 08:14 PM

As a Husker fan, I hope Mizzou chokes on their new venture in the SEC. I work with alot of loud mouthed Tigger fans and they never have a valid argument on why they think they are better than the Huskers. I back up my arguments with facts, they just say NU are cheaters and full of criminals. Hope the Dawgs put a hurting on them.

rizzle 09-05-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnake (Post 1710723)
Can't wait until all you holier than thou guys eat your words when MIZZOU puts a surprise whoop ass on all your teams. All you guys and your teams are cocky and have no where to go but down. Walk into the ZOU thinking you have the game won already would be a huge mistake. Missouri has no where to go but up.

North Carolina thought they were going to walk into the Independence Bowl last year and win just by showing up. Listening to the joke they call sportscasters, they dogged the crap out of MIZZOU about how tough of a loss this game was going to be because no way they were going to beat NC. By the second half the idiot sportscasters and the entire NC team had no idea what was going on or how to deal with it.

Georgia is going down in Columbia on Saturday and I will be there to enjoy every minute of it.

Missouri is 19-8-1 all time against SEC teams. This includes a very impressive 7-2 record against SEC teams in bowl games. Just recently Missouri beat South Carolina in the 2005 Independence Bowl and beat Arkansas in the 2008 Cotton Bowl.

Actually, there's only one of us that fits that bill, but carry on...

OLS 09-06-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 1711445)
Actually, there's only one of us that fits that bill, but carry on...

Hey now wait one darn minute....... :r

PERSONALLY, and I will get no help here, I kind of LIKE the attitude. Misguided, sure, and Michael, classic line,
congratulations on beating a basketball school, lolol...

But that kind of bravado and challenge is what makes this thread so popular throughout the year. I could care
less who I insult in SEC 2012 thread, and they F-ing KNOW IT. This is not a thread on how to cut a cigar, it's a
GD football thread. And the SEC at that! WE ARE football, you can bet we ARE holier than thou. As Michael
always points out in post #1, the records speak for themselves. The best game of the year for Ole Miss is when
they go to some bowl and murder some team that considers them the bottom of the SEC and treats em like it.
People here call me obnoxious because A.) I am, and B.), I pull for the team they consider the most objectionable.
But they, like the classic bible quote, can't see the log in their own eye. Is ANY SEC fan worse than a Bama lover,
for whom total obnoxiousity is simply fandom? Who else would go out and kill an innocent grove of trees to snub
the other team? THAT'S FANDOM. (I guess there are times when stealing a goat is just not enough anymore.)
But you tolerate me and I tolerate you because we have to. This is a civilized board with civilized rules. I have
the right to be as bad as you. And in the end the only one I ever permanently put on ignore is not even a SEC fan.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned. Sure the Championship game hurt badly for me. I never dreamed it was possible
to lay an egg in that situation. But we did. (and by the way I finally found out what "the Ship" was....that confused
the ship out of me.) I thought they were implying the Superdome looked like a spaceship, lol. CHAMP-ion-SHIP...derh.

Talking ship is what we do on this thread. I am cool with ALL OF IT. But this year we will see if those who dish, can
also take, ship. This year, however, I might not talk too much about Bama-LSU before the game....that game in the
dome really messed me up psychologically....and I didn't have much farther to go in that regard.

OLS 09-06-2012 07:40 AM

And I DO have to say, ONE DAY I will let that Auburn Tree issue drop, but I just can't yet.
I am a true lover of nature and my jaw dropped when I heard how low a fan would stoop
to get a dig on another school. I am sure alcohol was involved, and low intellect, and
maybe a serial killer, instead of killing coeds, found another outlet for his kitten-killing
urges. And I do understand that it in no way represents the level Alabama fans in general
are prepared to drop to hate on Auburn. But it is a HUUUUUuuuge deal to me still, and
again, one day I will just drop it. But as of 2012, not yet. :) That was just wrong on
every level and it is nearly impossible to shake it from my head. I grew up in a city that is
renowned for it's beautiful thousand year old oak trees, and I can't imagine an idiot could possibly
believe he had the right to kill something that could have been alive LONG before his parents were
conceived and should have been around hundreds of years after he was gone. Its just not right.

Mr. Ed 09-06-2012 09:27 AM

What is 100 yards long and has 3 teeth? The front row at an Alabama home game.

Did you hear about the Rebel fans that missed last years game? They saw a sign that said "LSU LEFT" so they went home.

Why did LSU replace the stadium grass with astroturf? To keep the cheerleaders from grazing during the games.

What is the definition of safe sex down at LSU?
Placing a sign on the animals that kick...:r

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...iles-time1.jpg

jsnake 09-06-2012 10:57 AM

My original comment was just in reference to fans and not anyone here specifically. The responses are great though. It is all in good fun and I enjoy good smack talk during football season. Some of it is kind of educational too. These schools all have rich traditions and history.

I trolled this thread last year and found it very entertaining. Now I get to be the new guy. Hopefully I won't spend the entire season in the corner with my foot in my mouth. I think I will be doing some of this actually :noon :banger while the rest of you think I need this :sl

There is always a Nebraska Cornholer fan somewhere that has to throw in their :2 . You just have to understand they have nothing to live for in this God Forsaken state. Lincoln Nebraska has a football stadium and that is about it. Nothing better then waking up in my hotel in the morning here in Stinkin after a Cornholer loss. You would swear everyone's mother died. Go Hawkeyes!

maninblack 09-06-2012 12:59 PM

I live in Missouri . I root for the Huskers. Why? Because Missouri wouldn't know a good football team if it bit them in the ass. Some of us in Missouri have taste. The others root for good ol Mizzou. And speaking of a basketball school, isn't that the only sport the Tiggers are "decent" at? But I digress. Nebraska fans can sleep comfortably knowing Mizzou will never be in the same class as NU. Good luck and enjoy being a cellar dwellar in the SEC, much like you were in the Big 8.

Powers 09-06-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnake (Post 1711993)
My original comment was just in reference to fans and not anyone here specifically. The responses are great though. It is all in good fun and I enjoy good smack talk during football season. Some of it is kind of educational too. These schools all have rich traditions and history.

I trolled this thread last year and found it very entertaining. Now I get to be the new guy. Hopefully I won't spend the entire season in the corner with my foot in my mouth. I think I will be doing some of this actually :noon :banger while the rest of you think I need this :sl

Live and learn brother, no worries! I'm excited as well to have new blood in the SEC to add even more nuances and energy. Looks to be a fun year

Powers 09-07-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsnake (Post 1711993)
There is always a Nebraska Cornholer fan somewhere that has to throw in their :2 . You just have to understand they have nothing to live for in this God Forsaken state. Lincoln Nebraska has a football stadium and that is about it. Nothing better then waking up in my hotel in the morning here in Stinkin after a Cornholer loss. You would swear everyone's mother died. Go Hawkeyes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 1712068)
I live in Missouri . I root for the Huskers. Why? Because Missouri wouldn't know a good football team if it bit them in the ass. Some of us in Missouri have taste. The others root for good ol Mizzou. And speaking of a basketball school, isn't that the only sport the Tiggers are "decent" at? But I digress. Nebraska fans can sleep comfortably knowing Mizzou will never be in the same class as NU. Good luck and enjoy being a cellar dwellar in the SEC, much like you were in the Big 8.

:po