Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   True Blood (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2273)

PeteSB75 10-23-2008 09:33 PM

True Blood

Been watching this show. Very strange. Interesting, but definitely unusual. Certainly not a typical vampire show, but I expect no less from Alan Ball. Very interesting relationships between the characters. Got to wonder where they are going with Sookie's ability. I'm one episode back, so just saw Bill turned in flashback. Wonder how long or if we will see him turn Sookie.

TriStar 10-23-2008 10:01 PM

Re: True Blood

I love this show. I make sure to free up my sunday night to catch it. Best part is Dexter is on right after this :D

Comicbookfreak 10-23-2008 10:24 PM

Great episonde last week. We learned more about Sookie and saw Sam running naked in a field(obviously after shapechanging). Tara's mom had her exorcism and Tara found out she had a demon also. Plus the new vamps in town are assumed to have burned up in the fire.

Love this show and can't wait til this week's episode.

icehog3 10-24-2008 12:17 AM

Loving this show, I wasn't sure about it after the first few episodes, but I am definitely hooked now.

Lucky_Hippo 10-24-2008 06:03 AM

I'm really digging this series. It's always interesting to see the different rules set up for vamps in each series. The true blood (beer) is a neat twist, as well as the non-threat for crosses, holy water, or garlic, however silver has a main role. The first time I think I ever saw silver having an affect on vampires was Blade.

Plus I dig Sookie's uniform.:ss

kayaker 10-24-2008 06:13 AM

Haven't seen the show yet. Is this show based on a book? My wife may have picked it up.

We used to watch Blood Ties, and wifey is reading those books.

Right now we are watching the 2nd season of Supernatural.

skibumdc 10-24-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 32131)
Haven't seen the show yet. Is this show based on a book? My wife may have picked it up.

We used to watch Blood Ties, and wifey is reading those books.

Right now we are watching the 2nd season of Supernatural.

Yes, it is based on a series of eight books written by New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris that were first published in 2001 called
The Southern Vampire Mysteries.
In the Intro to the show at the very end it mentions it.

spectrrr 10-24-2008 06:35 AM

I got these saved up on tivo, gotta get around to checking out the series soon....

Neuromancer 10-24-2008 08:46 PM

It gets better every episode...:tu

Comicbookfreak 10-27-2008 03:59 AM

Tought this weeks episode was pretty good. They should start to show more of Eric now in the show. Also curious to see what happens to Tara.

This show does seem to get better each week. Let's just hope that HBO doesn't cancel another good show as they has done in the past.

icehog3 10-27-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comicbookfreak (Post 36799)
Tought this weeks episode was pretty good. They should start to show more of Eric now in the show. Also curious to see what happens to Tara.

This show does seem to get better each week. Let's just hope that HBO doesn't cancel another good show as they has done in the past.

That's my fear, Brent, that the season finale leaves us with a bunch of questions and cliffhangers that never get answered. See "Deadwood" amd "John From Cincinnati".

Pyrokin 10-27-2008 09:20 PM

I'm loving this too, I watch true blood and dexter every sunday and both of the latest episodes have been great. I can't wait to see if someone turns into a vampire hunter which seems to be really suggested in the first couple episodes. I missed the streaking though I think my tivo didn't record that part, maybe it was at the beginning =\

icehog3 10-27-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrokin (Post 38519)
I'm loving this too, I watch true blood and dexter every sunday and both of the latest episodes have been great. I can't wait to see if someone turns into a vampire hunter which seems to be really suggested in the first couple episodes. I missed the streaking though I think my tivo didn't record that part, maybe it was at the beginning =\

You didn't miss much, 2 second glimpse of Sam from a distance. Funny how he denied it to the soldier, but admitted it to Andy.

JKim 10-27-2008 09:39 PM

I got hooked on this show last week. Caught the first 7 episodes on On Demand. I'm a little thrown off though on how they make vampires.

Sooki is immune to becoming a Vampire after drinking Bill's Blood that healed her. People are getting high with superhuman senses after a few drops of V blood.

But then in the flashback, it shows Bill becoming a Vampire after drinking Vampire Blood. Do Vampires now decide if their blood makes another person a Vampire or not?

PeteSB75 10-27-2008 09:52 PM

From the teaser for next week, I think we get to find out for real. My suspicion is that Sookie didn't turn despite her blood loss initially, but was instead healed because her loss was not due to the vampire. Maybe the vamp has to actually feed on the human, before passing the blood back. It's also possible she was not yet close enough to death to actually change. The specifics of that seem to change with each vampire mythology.

As far as Sam running through the field naked, I really have to wonder what's going on there. Not sure if I buy him shapechanging. What, is he a werewolf? There were a few shots of the moon in the last couple of episodes, but there's been no mention of any parallel other species, other than the "Demon" from Tara's Mom and now, I guess, Tara. That would certainly account for his standoffish nature. That would also explain why Sookie can read him, but he's different from anyone else she knows, other than the vamps.

icehog3 10-27-2008 09:54 PM

If the series is following the book series, we will find out that Sam is in fact a shapechanger.

Comicbookfreak 10-27-2008 11:06 PM

Shapechangers do not have to be Were-Creatures in this storyline. But there are were-tigers and such in this Universe. Sam can change into any animal he sees. Notice all the stuffed animals in the bar. His prefered form is that of a collie. And shapechangers in this Universe all are drawn to change when the moon is full. Sam is one of my favorite characters in this series I can't wait to see if the show him changing that could be an awesome shot. Would love to see him change into a gorilla or such and beat the shite out of a Vamp right in front of everyone.

There will be mentions of Faeries soon also and witches. I won't spoil anymore of it tho.

As for the Vampires sireing sp? other Vamps. I assume that it is like most Vamp stories and the person must be brought to the egde of death by the Vamp that bites them and then offered the blood of the sire. If they do not drink of the blood like Bill's sire told him they will die from blood loss. Just drinking the blood or taking V will not change the person into a Vamp.

I want to hear more on the back story of Eric also.

Pyrokin 10-27-2008 11:43 PM

I never really read into vampire mythology but I always thought vampires could always chose to change a person or just feed on them and didn't have to bring them to the brink of death.

Comicbookfreak 10-27-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrokin (Post 38704)
I never really read into vampire mythology but I always thought vampires could always chose to change a person or just feed on them and didn't have to bring them to the brink of death.

Kinda all depends on the writer I guess. Different writers use different mythologies. In the old Dracula movies with Bela Lugosi he only had to bite the victims.

Comicbookfreak 11-03-2008 06:59 AM

Another great episode last night. i won't discuss it yet for those of you that have it recorded to watch later.

I found this on You Tube, a bunch or in character news type interviews of the cast of True Blood thought you people might like to take a look. I enjoyed it alot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BloodCopyCom

icehog3 11-03-2008 07:29 AM

Guess some questions about Sam are perfectly clear now. ;)

Sure hope HBO picks this up for another season.

Comicbookfreak 11-04-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 48404)
Guess some questions about Sam are perfectly clear now. ;)

Sure hope HBO picks this up for another season.

Sam scared the crap outta Sookie didn't he. Can't wait to see if what happens to Jason in the books happens to him in the series. Let's just say that will be really cool. But don't think it will happen in seaon 1 anyway.

I hope HBO keeps it too. I did read FX picked up True Blood, but don't know when they will start showing it. Not sure if this if for good or just the syndication. Let's hope HBO keeps this going.

A little info, the show is differeing is some aspects from the books. For instance in the books Bill didn't stake Longshadow, Eric was the one who killed him and he didn't go on trial like Bill is going to do next week . Eric just paid Longshadow's sire a fine. Also in the books, Sam wasn't adopted like in the series. They also have introducesd a few character new to the story in the Series. As well as taken a couple out. In the books Sam wasn't Sookie's protector when Bill has to leave , it was a character named Bubba but we haven't seen Bubba yet in the series.

icehog3 11-04-2008 07:49 AM

IF HBO doesn't pick this up for a second season, looks like I got a little reading to do. ;)

DavenportESQ 11-04-2008 08:52 AM

May I call on you sookie?

cbsmokin 11-05-2008 12:42 PM

I didn't know there were so many fans out there. I like it. I have to admit I almost stopped watching after the first few episodes because it was so slow, but now things are finally happening.

Dexter is still my favorite show though.

Neuromancer 11-06-2008 08:51 AM

I can't see HBO cancelling this...I think it's been quite a hit from what I can gather...I know it's become one of my favorites...:tu

Gophernut 11-07-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 54748)
I can't see HBO cancelling this...I think it's been quite a hit from what I can gather...I know it's become one of my favorites...:tu

:tpd: I definitely hope they don't cancel this. It has become more entertaining with every episode.
Stephen Root has certainly played a variety of characters over his career hasn't he? I think he's getting to Jason. Can't wait for Sunday.

icehog3 11-07-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gophernut (Post 56518)
Stephen Root has certainly played a variety of characters over his career hasn't he? I think he's getting to Jason. Can't wait for Sunday.

There is definitely more to Jason's girlfriend than meets the eye....looking forward to finding out what the real deal on her is. ;)

croatan 11-07-2008 11:07 AM

Looking forward to Sunday night, here. Still a big fan of this show.

I, too, hope that there's enough of a following to keep the show on HBO. It wouldn't be the same on FX.

Pyrokin 11-08-2008 03:49 PM

If they canceled it I would be angry, vampire movies always just make you want to watch vampire shows and there never around!

can't wait until tomarrow =)

Gophernut 11-19-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 56755)
There is definitely more to Jason's girlfriend than meets the eye....looking forward to finding out what the real deal on her is. ;)

Well I guess they answered that one didn't they. This is becoming more and more entertaining every week.

icehog3 11-19-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gophernut (Post 76626)
Well I guess they answered that one didn't they. This is becoming more and more entertaining every week.

It was interesting how she represented every junkie, and their lies/rationalizations......i.e.. "Just one last time, to bring everything full circle...."

kugie 11-19-2008 02:58 PM

Have not seen this weeks episode yet so i won't read everything out there. The show started to drag i almost gave up on it. Glad I stuck it out. i love on Demand . It lets me watch the Unit and True Blood later in the Week.

Jdbwolverines 11-25-2008 12:02 PM

Season finale this last weekend. I really enjoyed this season. It got picked up by HBO and the new season is suppose to start in early summer.

icehog3 11-25-2008 02:01 PM

Hope they can make next season just as interesting....too bad HBO makes us wait so long between seasons though.

Pyrokin 11-25-2008 03:30 PM

It makes me wish I found out about this show a couple years from now so I could watch three seasons in 3 days on the internet=P

icehog3 11-25-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrokin (Post 87090)
It makes me wish I found out about this show a couple years from now so I could watch three seasons in 3 days on the internet=P

Try and forget, and I will remind you in 2012.

MajorCaptSilly 11-25-2008 03:48 PM

This show is a modern Dark Shadows! I love it.

MCS

StinkiMonki 11-25-2008 04:06 PM

My wife and I are totally hooked on this show. Sex, violence, monsters. Perfect!

kugie 11-26-2008 07:22 AM

Great Show Glad they are picking it back up.
I watch the final this morning nice shop by Sookie with the shovel.

BengalMan 11-28-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkiMonki (Post 87123)
My wife and I are totally hooked on this show. Sex, violence, monsters. Perfect!

Same here Geoff, we get in front of the TV every Sunday for this, then Entourage. It's a shame they're both over now.

doctorcue 12-01-2008 04:19 PM

The wife started watching this and I found myself sitting with her. I like the take on how they are known and among the general population. A lot of story lines going on. I need to catch up.

Oh yeah, also:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cue/woohoo.gif

MadAl 12-01-2008 08:40 PM

Took me a few episodes to get used to it but it grew on me or the writers figured the characters out. Great show! Hope HBO has some more tricks up their sleeve.

icehog3 12-01-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcue (Post 94598)

You're making me dizzy....are you trying to "glamour" me? ;)

spectrrr 12-05-2008 12:05 AM

weee... just finished watching the tivo'ed eps and getting caught up on the season.

interesting show..... its like sex and the city meets murder she wrote meets vampires.... normally I dont go for the sex and the city type shows, but I have to say I am HOOKED on this show. its like freakin crack. ESPECIALLY when the next ep is tivo'ed and all you have to do is hit the next button..... I think I watched 5 eps in one night cause I kept hitting next (yeah, I was regretting it the next day :bn)

I'm glad HBO picked it up for another run... though SUMMER 09? grr, I dont wanna wait! There's a lot of plot lines going on there... it will be interesting to see how things develop.

Jdbwolverines 12-05-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectrrr (Post 102175)
its like sex and the city meets murder she wrote

:hn

MadAl 12-05-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectrrr (Post 102175)
ESPECIALLY when the next ep is tivo'ed and all you have to do is hit the next button..... I think I watched 5 eps in one night cause I kept hitting next (yeah, I was regretting it the next day :bn)

It's also on OnDemand, usually the next day.

icehog3 06-22-2009 10:24 PM

Anyovody watching Season 2? It really started heating up in episode #2. ;)

kayaker 06-23-2009 09:40 AM

My wife loves the books and we just recently bought and watched season 1. I liked it. I have downloaded the first episode and am currently looking for the second one. We'll buy that one when it comes out too.

I still haven't decided if I'll read the books. I probably will later in the summer.

blooz4u 06-23-2009 09:44 AM

Yup...it's a Sunday night staple in our household. The wife and I have read the first two books. It's a good watch, sometimes cheesy, but still a good watch!