Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ask The Rabbi!! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15657)

Emjaysmash 05-17-2009 11:05 PM

Ask The Rabbi!!

Hey everyone,
The Rabbi (TomHagen) has graciously agreed to my new idea-thread of "Ask The Rabbi". Anyone may post any question they have ever wanted to ask a Rabbi, and the Rabbi will then answer it. If there are those who wish to ask anonymously, you can PM myself or TomHagen. Please specify if you would like your question and answer to remain off the thread.

My hope is to create an enjoyable thread both enlightening and fun.

So, have at it! Post your questions below!

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:12 PM

Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

I'm in... ask away!!

sodomanaz 05-17-2009 11:19 PM

Ok. I'm already circumcised. If I decided I wanted to pursue the Jewish faith, does that give me an in?

sodomanaz 05-17-2009 11:23 PM

I have seen on TV that you need to read from the Torah (I think that's what it was) and stand on one foot to absorb the material. What if you don't have legs?

adampc22 05-17-2009 11:26 PM

is pepsi better than coke ? and can i eat the mushrooms i found in my garden ?

sodomanaz 05-17-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adampc22 (Post 386771)

Pepsi Throwback already answered this question, at least in the US.

sodomanaz 05-17-2009 11:28 PM

Can you explain the whole Pork and Milk thing? I was watching Kenny VS Spenny, and that came up as the worst thing a Jewish person could do; drink milk while eating pork.

adampc22 05-17-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodomanaz (Post 386772)
Pepsi Throwback already answered this question, at least in the US.

i was asking the rabbi :fu

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodomanaz (Post 386764)
Ok. I'm already circumcised. If I decided I wanted to pursue the Jewish faith, does that give me an in?

Being circumsized does not give you "an in"...

A Jew is defined by the Torah, the five-books of Moses, as being born to a Jewish mother, who was in turn born to a Jewish mother etc.

Judaism does NOT seek to convert people.
But those, at their own initiative, who do wish to convert to Judaism (aka "pursue the Jewish faith") can do so through a competant Torah-observant Rabbi in accordance with Jewish Law.

One does not have to become Jewish to fulfll their role and access G-d.
Non-Jews have a tremendously vital role in G-d's creation, by fulfilling the
7 Noahide Laws. (for more info http://www.noahide.org/)

1. BELIEF IN G-D
Do not worship Idols
2. RESPECT G-D AND PRAISE HIM
Do Not Blaspheme His Name
3. RESPECT HUMAN LIFE
Do Not Murder
4. RESPECT THE FAMILY
Do Not Commit Immoral Sexual Acts
5. RESPECT FOR OTHERS’ RIGHTS AND PROPERTY
Do Not Steal
6. CREATION OF A JUDICIAL SYSTEM
Pursue Justice
7. RESPECT ALL CREATURES
Do not be cruel to animals.

Hope this helps.

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adampc22 (Post 386771)

Coke is better, IMHO. No don't eat the mushrooms you found in your garden, you should have eaten the ones in my basement in college. :dance:

adampc22 05-17-2009 11:36 PM

dont blame it on the sunshine dont blame it on the moonlight dont blame it on the good times blame it on the boogie ?

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodomanaz (Post 386768)
I have seen on TV that you need to read from the Torah (I think that's what it was) and stand on one foot to absorb the material. What if you don't have legs?

No idea what you are talking about... could you be referring to this?

A gentile once came to Shammai, and wanted to convert to Judaism. But he insisted on learning the whole Torah while standing on one foot. Shammai rejected him, so he went to Hillel, who taught him: "What you dislike, do not do to your friend. That is the basis of the Torah. The rest is commentary; go and learn!"

"on one foot" being obviously a aphorism...

unless, "New legs Lt. Dan!!", Forest Gump

ps. what TV tells one about Judaism is often inaccurate.

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adampc22 (Post 386784)
dont blame it on the sunshine dont blame it on the moonlight dont blame it on the good times blame it on the boogie ?

Don't blame the boogie either!! "Blame it on the rain" - Milli Vanilli:hf

adampc22 05-17-2009 11:46 PM

how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ?

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sodomanaz (Post 386773)
Can you explain the whole Pork and Milk thing? I was watching Kenny VS Spenny, and that came up as the worst thing a Jewish person could do; drink milk while eating pork.

They are two different prohibitions, which are prohibited for Jews only.
1) Don't eat milk and meat (wait 6 hrs from meat to milk, and wait 1 hr from milk to meat)
2) Don't eat non-kosher animals. Kosher animals must chew their cud and have split hooves (cows, goats, deer, giraffe, lamb, bison, oxen etc. - ok) (pig, horse, dog, rodents, duck-billed platapus - NOT ok)

(actually, drinking milk while eating pork is only one trangression - eating the pork. As long as the milk is from a kosher animal, all milk is cool to drink, just not a long with kosher meat.)

TomHagen 05-17-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adampc22 (Post 386789)
how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ?

The following errors occurred with your submission:
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.

pnoon 05-17-2009 11:50 PM

Nice review.

adampc22 05-17-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 386795)
Nice review.

eh ??????????????????????????????

bigloo 05-17-2009 11:56 PM

Why wont my mother let me marry a non-Jewish girl or is this something I would only understand when I had a child myself?

:)

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigloo (Post 386798)
Why wont my mother let me marry a non-Jewish girl or is this something I would only understand when I had a child myself?

:)

Oy...

If only we would revere G-d, the same way we revere the word of our Jewish mothers... though to discern the two is kinda hard, especially when she puts her foot down. :D

The Torah says a Jew should only marry a Jew. This is for various reasons. Prepetuation of the Jewish people, culture, religion and customs, to have Jewish kids, conduct Jewish home, it's a Mitzvah and G-d said so, okay etc.

This website http://www.jewishanddating.com/, and the book "Why marry Jewish?", by Doron Kornbluth http://www.doronkornbluth.com/ , are the BEST treatment of the topic.

Having a child oneself really does make the issue hit home...

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:09 AM

Rapid fire!! I like it!! I'm going to shluf (sleep)... but keep 'em coming and I'll get them.

BillyCigars 05-18-2009 01:46 AM

Great thread idea!!

This question always perplexed me and now I have a way to "Ask The Rabbi"!

If God's name isn't "God", then why do Jews often (in writing) censor the word and keep it at "G-d"? I understand that it comes from not uttering His name but always wondered why, when after all, it's not His name..:confused:

Thanks in advance! :tu

G G 05-18-2009 05:24 AM

Where is Jimmy Hoffa? J/k. I think this is a great idea.

adampc22 05-18-2009 06:04 AM

What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

goalie204 05-18-2009 07:03 AM

when i was in palm springs california at a street fair, i saw this. I didn't have any questions, but i thought it was cute. Funny to see it here too :p - zai gezunt

http://i44.tinypic.com/34rj05i.jpg

rizzle 05-18-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHagen (Post 386803)
Oy...

If only we would revere G-d, the same way we revere the word of our Jewish mothers... though to discern the two is kinda hard, especially when she puts her foot down. :D

The Torah says a Jew should only marry a Jew. This is for various reasons. Prepetuation of the Jewish people, culture, religion and customs, to have Jewish kids, conduct Jewish home, it's a Mitzvah and G-d said so, okay etc.

This website http://www.jewishanddating.com/, and the book "Why marry Jewish?", by Doron Kornbluth http://www.doronkornbluth.com/ , are the BEST treatment of the topic.

Having a child oneself really does make the issue hit home...

What's a Mitzvah?

Emjaysmash 05-18-2009 08:24 AM

Wow, this response is awesome!! Keep it up everyone!!

Parshooter 05-18-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHagen (Post 386793)

(actually, drinking milk while eating pork is only one trangression - eating the pork. As long as the milk is from a kosher animal, all milk is cool to drink, just not a long with kosher meat.)

So bacon-wrapped scallops is just ONE transgression? Whew, that's a load off my mind :dance:

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCigars (Post 386812)
Great thread idea!!

This question always perplexed me and now I have a way to "Ask The Rabbi"!

If God's name isn't "God", then why do Jews often (in writing) censor the word and keep it at "G-d"? I understand that it comes from not uttering His name but always wondered why, when after all, it's not His name..:confused:

Thanks in advance! :tu

Nice question, one that is frequently asked.

Jewish people refrain from calling G-d by His Name. He is alluded to many times in the Torah by different names, each of which only allude to an attribute of G-d. G-d is indefineable by a name, but when we refer to Him through our capacity of speech it should be with the highest reverence. Especially when referring to Him directly. G-t, is yiddish, and german for G-d. G-d is a derivation from that. When one says G-d, or G-t, they are directly referring to G-d, so even though it is not his name, it is a direct reference.

Most observant Jews refer to G-d as HaShem (hebrew), "The Name" or Aibishster (yiddish) "the Most High", thereby referring to G-d in an indirect way, but implicitly referring to Him. In prayer & reading the Torah only, we refer to G-d by His Holy Name(s)

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggainey (Post 386854)
Where is Jimmy Hoffa? J/k. I think this is a great idea.

Giants Stadium end-zone. Glad you like the thread. Thank MJ.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adampc22 (Post 386865)
What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

I believe that is a 2 part question, which deserves a 2 part answer.

1) I would give you constructive critisicm in a manner in which you can receive it about you singing capabilities.

2) No I wouldn't walk out on you, cause you can only get by with a little help from your friends.

Lending you an ear is very Van Gogh. Thank you for your consideratin in trying NOT to sind out of key.

Any further questions famous musicians have, that you plagiarize as your own questions should be condensed into one post, preferably, and I will get around to them.:D

Hope this helps.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie204 (Post 386893)
when i was in palm springs california at a street fair, i saw this. I didn't have any questions, but i thought it was cute. Funny to see it here too :p - zai gezunt

http://i44.tinypic.com/34rj05i.jpg

Thanks. We're nationwide, baby!! Zai gezunt and all the best!!

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 386928)
What's a Mitzvah?

A Mitzvah is a Commandment from G-d. Jews have 613, non-Jews have 7 (as expounded into 61).

Sometimes used informally to refer to any act of goodness and kindness.

Mitzvah (hebrew) has it's root in the word Tzvazah (hebrew) - meaning connection in Hebrew, so by doing a Mitzvah you are connecting yourself to G-d.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parshooter (Post 387077)
So bacon-wrapped scallops is just ONE transgression? Whew, that's a load off my mind

No. it is 2, or more, (for a Jew, only). The person would be eating 2 types of non-kosher food. please refer to the distinction made above about the eating of non-kosher animals (vs. milk & meat).

Don Francisco 05-18-2009 12:17 PM

Are concubines still permitted?

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Francisco (Post 387222)
Are concubines still permitted?

In short, no.

To be brief, the Jewish/Torah's definition of a concubine is very different than the way the term is used today.

Don Francisco 05-18-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHagen (Post 387233)
In short, no.

To be brief, the Jewish/Torah's definition of a concubine is very different than the way the term is used today.

Out of shorts?

goalie204 05-18-2009 12:53 PM

What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Francisco (Post 387271)
Out of shorts?

no, I have about 10 Party's left in the Humi.

If you need a more in depth treatment of you question let me know...

nozero 05-18-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie204 (Post 387281)
What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

I'll be looking forward to the Rebbe's reply to this one myself. I/we don't keep Kosher and I'm less than a three day a year Jew for many, many years...

Grand concept for a thread Emjay and thanks to you Rebbe for your insightful replies.

csbrewfisher 05-18-2009 01:38 PM

Where can I buy kosher ham?

tobii3 05-18-2009 02:18 PM

The most important question of all...

Is it okay to have sex on the Sabbath?

Is it REALLY considered "work"???......:D

kelmac07 05-18-2009 02:36 PM

Why do jewish men wear a yamika to dignify their manhood?

TomHagen 05-18-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csbrewfisher (Post 387360)
Where can I buy kosher ham?

Whole Foods and most health food stores carry Tofu or TVP based ham flavored products that may or may not be kosher.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 387420)
The most important question of all...

Is it okay to have sex on the Sabbath?

Is it REALLY considered "work"???......:D

It is not only okay, but Friday night is considered an auspicious time. It is said that Talmidei Chochmim - "Sages" or "Great Rabbi's" preferred this time on Shabbos to all others. This also according to Kabbalah - Jewish Mysticism.

So no, it is NOT considered work.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 387446)
Why do jewish men wear a yamika to dignify their manhood?

It has nothing to do with "manhood".

The word Yarmulke is actually a conjunction of two words in hebrew and aramaic "Yirei" and "Malka" - which mean "Awe" and "King" respectively, so wearing a Yarmulke is to keep us aware of G-d.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie204 (Post 387281)

Firstly, Jews are not to judge other Jews. Only G-d Himself is to judge.

That being said, the Torah, and specifically the mystical tradition of Kabbalah/Chassidus teach that every Jew is inherently good. If you could look into our "kishkes" - insides, in our soul, you would see that we inately want to do what is right, what HaShem wants.

Even on a more external level, it is said that every Jew is filled with Mitzvahs, like a Pomegranate is filled with seeds. We are constantly doing good, fulfilling G-d's Will consciously or not.

Going to shul etc. is all good, but there are those who do so and are not fulfilling their role in G-d's greater plan. They could be better. Along with those who do very little their entire life, but at one-moment fulfill the purpose of their entire existance. It is just up to us not to wait for this but to "chap arein" - take advantage and seize the moment to strive to be better Jews.

With this in mind, we should constantly be striving to become better, self-actualized Jewish people and simultaneously helping others to attain this as well. Adding Mitzvos, observances, customs, learning more Torah, doing acts of goodness and kindness and contributing to the greater good.

When people ask me point bland "What is a good Jew?", I am wont to answer - one who is better today than yesterday or at least strives to be better.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Hatzlocha - Success in all of your endeavors!!

TomHagen 05-18-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 386795)
Nice review.

Which review? The Corona Gorda thread? or the responses?

Either way: Thanks.

ActionAndy 05-18-2009 03:47 PM

What's Jewish Hell like? Catholic hell is pretty serious...

TomHagen 05-18-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionAndy (Post 387542)
What's Jewish Hell like? Catholic hell is pretty serious...

There is no such thing as "hell" in Judaism.

The concept where "hell" might have been derived from is the existance of "Gehinom".

Gehinom is where the soul goes after it leaves the body in order to clease it from any negativity attached to it through misdeeds etc. It's kinda like a spiritual washing machine. necessary, painful, but leaves you feeling oh, so good. The truly righteous can supercede this refinement, and "worst of the worst" can remain there for only as long as 11 months. After this sort of "purgatory"(I use the term loosely) the soul ascends to Gan Eden where it basks in the light of the G-d's Torah on what ever level the soul can receive it.

Judaism in inherently different from other religions, in this regard, among others. The purpose is not to go to Heaven (or Hell), but rather the focal point of Torah is to make THIS WORLD better, and a dwelling place for G-d.