Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rant: Cigar Bums (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41652)

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:01 AM

Rant: Cigar Bums

Okay, so I'm a nice guy, at least most of the time. But, often, more times than not, I carry these great sticks with me to enjoy when a not so educated person wants to 'try' one of my sticks. But, you don't 'try' a stick. You 'try' a cigarette. If the stun sucks, you put it out and that's it. Period. But a cigar is different. Palettes are different and flavors often change while smoking a cigar. These ignoramuses think they should try a stick on my investment. Forget that I paid $7 to $10 for the stick, more than they paid for their worthless pack of cigarettes. For some reason, they think I owe them a shot at one of my expensive sticks and they've never smoked a cigar before. I have no problem sharing great smokes with someone who has developed a taste for a fine cigar. But, if someone wants to try a cigar, especially a first time cigar smoker, they need to try it on their own dime.

Free loaders.

Rant over.

wayner123 01-25-2011 08:06 AM

Re: Rant: Cigar Bums

Or just carry around really good cheap cigars.

E.J. 01-25-2011 08:10 AM

If you don't want to give someone a cigar, don't....:confused:

An easy, "I'd be happy to sell you one, if you'd like"....or something like that, still gives them the opportunity to try a cigar, just not on your dime.

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1147350)
Or just carry around really good cheap cigars.

Good cheap cigars is an oxymoron.:D

I had noticed that when I started hanging out at the local B&M, I never was offered a stick to try. I just rummaged through the humidor and tried several sticks on my money and have settled on some good smokes. I still go out and try new ones and I find it educational to do so. I've only laid two cigars down, the first was the rot gut Acid blondie and the other was a Turano Virtuoso.

Now, I find myself not only sharing with others, but others sharing good sticks with me. No one has ever given me a stick and said, "Hey, this is a great stick you need to try" while snickering under their breath that they just gave me a dog turd. It's an unwritten rule of respect. Don't give anything to anybody you wouldn't smoke yourself.

So, when I feel that a person has developed a palate that deserves some tasty new tries, then I'll share. But the one and only time I shared a cigar with an unexperienced smoker, he laid the $9 stick in the ash tray and left it.

Apoco 01-25-2011 08:14 AM

That's what the CAO golds in my travel humi are for :)

Unless we're talking about a total stranger. In which case they are SOL.
Posted via Mobile Device

replicant_argent 01-25-2011 08:15 AM

I imagine your view of this will change over time.

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.J. (Post 1147351)
If you don't want to give someone a cigar, don't....:confused:

An easy, "I'd be happy to sell you one, if you'd like"....or something like that, still gives them the opportunity to try a cigar, just not on your dime.

As I explained, I love to share. I'm very generous with my cigars, but only to B'sOTL. Not some cigarette huffing newbie that wants to 'try' one. I guess it's just ignorance of the non cigar smoker at play.

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoco (Post 1147353)
That's what the CAO golds in my travel humi are for :)

Unless we're talking about a total stranger. In which case they are SOL.
Posted via Mobile Device

You just gave me an evil idea. Maybe I need to carry a couple of Acid Liquids around with me.:r

Yes, and a lot of these people are strangers.

wayner123 01-25-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147352)
Good cheap cigars is an oxymoron.:D

Not really. Here is a good bit of reading:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=cheap

And just for discussion... just because someone doesn't have a well versed cigar palate doesn't mean they can't or won't appreciate a cigar the way a veteran smoker might.

replicant_argent 01-25-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1147354)
I imagine your view of this will change over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147356)
You just gave me an evil idea. Maybe I need to carry a couple of Acid Liquids around with me.:r

or... Perhaps not.

neoflex 01-25-2011 08:20 AM

If you find this happening a lot when you go out get in the habit of bringing a few cheap smokes or just get comfortable with the idea of saying "No." I know how painful it is to share one of your higher end sticks with someone only to find it only have a quarter inch smoked and sitting in an ashtray. This is another reason why I like to keep some cheaper smokes on hand besides for mowing the grass. When we have BBQs in the summer I always light up a cigar and offer my guests one if they would like one. I usually ask what they normally smoke and if I discover that they are not much of a cigar smoker I usually offer them something a little on the lower end or that I scored on the cheap just so it's not so painful to find the stick tossed way too early as more often than not that is the case as they tend to want to smoke because everyone else is enjoying one. I also try and keep Dirt Torpedos on hand to satisfy the crowd that always asks if I have anything flavored as these are not flavored so it's safe to keep in the humidor with the rest of my collection but they are very sweet and usually please that crowd very well. When we used to have people over more often I used to keep a separate humidor that was coined the "Moochadore." It was always loaded with good but cheaper smokes. People I meet who I catch the vibe they are a regular cigar smoker or those I know are a cigar smoker are always welcome to whatever I have.

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1147357)
Not really. Here is a good bit of reading:

And just for discussion... just because someone doesn't have a well versed cigar palate doesn't mean they can't or won't appreciate a cigar the way a veteran smoker might.

Maybe I wasn't crystal with my rant. I have nothing against sharing with a newbie cigar smoker per se. It's these cigarette huffing chain smokers who think I should peel out a stick for them. Like I said, it kills me to see a good $8 to $10 stick get laid down. Maybe I should carry some cheapies around to satiate these guys.

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoflex (Post 1147360)
If you find this happening a lot when you go out get in the habit of bringing a few cheap smokes or just get comfortable with the idea of saying "No." I know how painful it is to share one of your higher end sticks with someone only to find it only have a quarter inch smoked and sitting in an ashtray. People I meet who I catch the vibe they are a regular cigar smoker are always welcome to whatever I have. This is another reason why I like to keep some cheaper smokes on hand besides for mowing the grass. When we have BBQs in the summer I always light up a cigar and offer my guests one if they would like one. I usually ask what they normally smoke and if I discover that they are not much of a cigar smoker I usually offer them something a little on the lower end or that I scored on the cheap just so it's not so painful to find the stick tossed way too early as more often than not that is the case as they tend to want to smoke because everyone else is enjoying one. I also try and keep Dirt Torpedos on hand to satisfy the crowd that always asks if I have anything flavored as these are not flavored so it's safe to keep in the humidor with the rest of my collection but they are very sweet and usually please that crowd very well. When we used to have people over more often I used to keep a separate humidor that was coined the "Moochadore." It was always loaded with good but cheaper smokes.

There ya go!:tu
I'll try some of these options.

E.J. 01-25-2011 08:24 AM

Our opinions just differ on this I guess....and that is 100% okay. There is no right and wrong here.

Though it is nice to give an experienced cigar smoker a nice cigar, I get as much pleasure giving a great cigar to someone just dipping their feet in this ocean....

Too many people have no idea what a good cigar tastes like.... I'd like to change that and can, one person at a time....:tu

wayner123 01-25-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147362)
Maybe I wasn't crystal with my rant. I have nothing against sharing with a newbie cigar smoker per se. It's these cigarette huffing chain smokers who think I should peel out a stick for them. Like I said, it kills me to see a good $8 to $10 stick get laid down.

I guess I am still confused :confused:

Is it that you have a disdain for cigarette chain smokers?

Or that the stick they laid down cost a certain amount?

neoflex 01-25-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147352)
Good cheap cigars is an oxymoron.:D.

I would disagree with this. I have plenty of cheaper smokes that I consider very good and am never ashamed to smoke myself. I even would consider a box I score on C-Bid or Auctioneer on the cheap but may normally run $7-$8 a stick a cheap smoke just because if I scored it on the cheap than it's a cheap smoke.

cmitch 01-25-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoflex (Post 1147366)
I would disagree with this. I have plenty of cheaper smokes that I consider very good and am never ashamed to smoke myself. I even would consider a box I score on C-Bid or Auctioneer on the cheap but may normally run $7-$8 a stick a cheap smoke just because if I scored it on the cheap than it's a cheap smoke.

Notice my smiley?

Nick's Sticks are cheap cigars that I often enjoy. I've not had a bad Perdomo product . . . yet.

neoflex 01-25-2011 08:29 AM

My bad. The problem with written word is it can always be interpreted different by everyone.;s

enlightenedcigar 01-25-2011 08:34 AM

This is the sole purpose that I have a mooch-a-dor. A good friend told me about how he has one. Basically, I keep a humidor full of really cheap stuff that I have bought just for this occassion, when someone asks for a cigar I pop open that humidor and say take which ever you would like. It makes them excited that they are getting to pick their own cigar and I don't have to worry about losing money on someone that probably won't even finish the stick! WIN WIN!!!

MajorCaptSilly 01-25-2011 08:35 AM

I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS

CRIMPS 01-25-2011 08:37 AM

umm, I guess I don't agree with OP. Sorry :(

swh127 01-25-2011 08:40 AM

I love giving out cigars to my friends to try. Now most of my friends have similar pallets to myself so what I smoke usually will fit them. However, when I go to paintball events or PSU tailgates, my ammo-box (lined with spanish cedar) always has some innexpensive (good smokes but less than $2 bucks) that I will hand out to the few guys I know will probably only ever smoke half to 1/4 of the cigar before throwing it away.

On the flip side, I have received alot of great cigars over the years from friends and random people I was smoking with. I see it as a sort of cigar karma.

Noodles 01-25-2011 08:45 AM

I only gift what I smoke. There is a group of friend I hangout with that always wants to smoke cigars. They know about my collection. So they kind of expect it. They will smoke whatever I am smoking. Finish or not, that is fine with me.

I've gifted cigars to total strangers I've met in cigar bars. Again, I give them what I am smoking. A few years ago, I met this guy at Casa Fuente in Vegas. he was talking about smoking a Monte #2 during his honeymoon. Proceeded to give him one. His quick one hour smoke turned into a few hours of conversation with me.

I can understand not wanting to waste good cigars though.

cmitch 01-25-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1147365)
I guess I am still confused :confused:

Is it that you have a disdain for cigarette chain smokers?

I have a disdain for cigarette chain smokers who have no respect for the leaf, bum a cigar only to lay it down after lighting it. That is why I don't gift cigars except to those who I know will enjoy them.

Again, as one mentioned, there is no 'right' or 'wrong', just opinions. I just wanted those here to share their opinions about this and they have. Discussion is great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swh127
I love giving out cigars to my friends to try. Now most of my friends have similar pallets to myself so what I smoke usually will fit them. However, when I go to paintball events or PSU tailgates, my ammo-box (lined with spanish cedar) always has some innexpensive (good smokes but less than $2 bucks) that I will hand out to the few guys I know will probably only ever smoke half to 1/4 of the cigar before throwing it away.

On the flip side, I have received alot of great cigars over the years from friends and random people I was smoking with. I see it as a sort of cigar karma.

I've have often bought boxes and taken them to parties. That's a totally different subject. I'm speaking of the guy who thinks he's just entitled to try a stick to see if he'll like it. They usually don't. These same guys would be taken aback if you asked them for a pack of cigarettes. I'm chalking it up as a lack of understanding of what cigars really are.

Your solution is a doable one. I will consider keeping a few 'cheapies' on hand for this purpose.

cmitch 01-25-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonggoy (Post 1147399)
I only gift what I smoke. There is a group of friend I hangout with that always wants to smoke cigars. They know about my collection. So they kind of expect it. They will smoke whatever I am smoking. Finish or not, that is fine with me.

I've gifted cigars to total strangers I've met in cigar bars. Again, I give them what I am smoking. A few years ago, I met this guy at Casa Fuente in Vegas. he was talking about smoking a Monte #2 during his honeymoon. Proceeded to give him one. His quick one hour smoke turned into a few hours of conversation with me.

I can understand not wanting to waste good cigars though.

That's perfectly understandable. But that guy wasn't a bum, either. I've given away quite a few to strangers. Just not to strangers who ask for them just to ask.

There's a huge difference to gifting sticks to someone, stranger or not, who you think will enjoy it and someone who thinks they're entitled to it because they ask. It's not like you're shaking a 30 cent cigarette out of a pack.

Commander Quan 01-25-2011 10:13 AM

Where are you at when people are asking you to try a cigar? And are these friends, acquaintances, or total strangers.

I have no problem sharing with someone I know, but If I've never met you and you walk up and ask me for a free cigar the answer is "No" If they come up and ask me what I'm smoking and they are genuinely interested I'll ask if they want one, but I'm not going to hand them out to freeloaders.

cmitch 01-25-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Quan (Post 1147569)
Where are you at when people are asking you to try a cigar? And are these friends, acquaintances, or total strangers.

I have no problem sharing with someone I know, but If I've never met you and you walk up and ask me for a free cigar the answer is "No" If they come up and ask me what I'm smoking and they are genuinely interested I'll ask if they want one, but I'm not going to hand them out to freeloaders.

My brother was sitting out by the pool at his apartment complex and I joined him for a smoke. An acquaintance of his, who I just met, wanted one of my 10th Anniversary Champagne Torpedos. I'm like, "WHAT?"

One example but has happened many times.

I broke down and gave a Romeo y Julieta Reserva real to one of his poolside buddies only to see him lay it down after 10 minutes and light a cigarette and leave.

Dunkel 01-25-2011 10:31 AM

If someone asks me for a cigar they get the cheapest cigar I have with me. If I offer them one it's always quality. Just sayin'

tobii3 01-25-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147345)
Forget that I paid $7 to $10 for the stick

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147362)
it kills me to see a good $8 to $10 stick get laid down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147544)
That is why I don't gift cigars except to those who I know will enjoy them.

Think Wayne nailed it on the head here....

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1147365)

I agree with the Major - I pass sticks out all the time - it isn't about the money - it's about the camaraderie and brotherhood.

Whynot 01-25-2011 11:06 AM

What about non chain smoking cigarette smokers that want to have a cigar? I can't tell if you hate moochers or cigarette smokers. If people are curious, I offer one up. I've never had anyone just ask me for a cigar.

CasaDooley 01-25-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147608)
My brother was sitting out by the pool at his apartment complex and I joined him for a smoke. An acquaintance of his, who I just met, wanted one of my 10th Anniversary Champagne Torpedos. I'm like, "WHAT?"

One example but has happened many times.

I broke down and gave a Romeo y Julieta Reserva real to one of his poolside buddies only to see him lay it down after 10 minutes and light a cigarette and leave.

I think, in these situations , that a polite " I'm sorry, I didn't bring enough to share, but I will try to remember to bring extras next time" would suffice. Then, if you feel so inclined, bring some less expensive "newbie" cigars with you on your next outing. I think it's up to you how you want to respond to someone who asks for a cigar.
Me, I like to share, but I have never had someone I don't know just walk up to me and ask for a cigar, yet. :ss

Mugen910 01-25-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonggoy (Post 1147399)
I only gift what I smoke. There is a group of friend I hangout with that always wants to smoke cigars. They know about my collection. So they kind of expect it. They will smoke whatever I am not smoking. Finish or not, that is fine with me.

So that's why you gave me that aged Nub at Shack!!! I see where I stand with you.

Bageland2000 01-25-2011 11:09 AM

Where are you meeting these chain-smoking mooches that are trying to bum cigars from you!? Haha my guess is that they assume that what you have couldn't cost much more than a swisher sweet. Or a Black and Mild! mmmmm

jitzy 01-25-2011 11:11 AM

If a cigarette smoker is asking for one to see if he likes it and lays it down after about 10 min's then maybe that just means he didn't like it. I always give someone one to try if they are willing.

kaisersozei 01-25-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147608)

I think the problem is the RyJ Reserva Real. I'm surprised he made it 10 minutes.

j/k :r

Superbad 01-25-2011 11:24 AM

I have considered buying a box of Berger & Argenti mooches. That way if someone asks for a cigar, if they ask what it is called, they get "a mooch". Maybe they get the message ;)

Actually I give freely of what I have. I was in the cigar bar at the Brown Palace hotel in Denver, the waitress asked what I was smoking as she hadn't seen any illusione before. Asked if she smoked cigars, she said yes and I gave her a Tatuaje stick and an Illusione Epernay. She was very thankful, and the next night told me she enjoyed the Epernay. I was sitting next to some random person, he was smoking a cheap stick, talking cigars and sports. I enjoyed the conversation and gave him my last BOTL small batch I had with me. He was over the moon, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I like turning people onto good cigars. I guess when you ask me for something, it takes away my chance to offer and be the gracious host. I like to be the gracious host. I personally would never ask people for a cigar, or other thing, unless they offered first.

Bill86 01-25-2011 11:27 AM

I only give out cigars to good friends who will finish them. After that I don't care if it costs me like $20 for 2 friends to smoke my cigars. If they finish them it's not a big deal. Any "strangers" pay, simple as that. I'll sell you one. I've had plenty of people offer to buy cigars from me, most won't even accept free ones. That's how you can easily differ the good people from the bad. Especially when no one can recognize the cigars I smoke (CCs/LE NC's). They know I pay a very decent price for my smokes.

LasciviousXXX 01-25-2011 11:31 AM

Hey hey hey!!! Don't discourage us cigarette chain-smokers!! LOL
Anyone that's HERF'd with me knows that I usually chase a good cigar w/ a Cohiba cigarette or two between cigars. :tu

In all seriousness though, there are so many differing fields of thought on gifting a cigar (be it a cheap or expensive stick) that my advice would be to do what feels right and natural to you. Feel free to say no, or try and educate the filthy cigarette smoking heathen ;) LOL

dvickery 01-25-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 1147379)
I love giving cigars away. Whenever I am at a party or one if the few bars in my area that still allow cigar smoking, I always bring plenty of extra. You meet some of the nicest people through the simple gift of a cigar. I don't care if they're mooching or genuinely curious, the world today can be so callous and cynical that a smile from a stranger and some casual conversation helps to remind me that what we need most is connection to our fellow human beings.

MCS

first...the above quote...in my opinion...this is someone who "gets it" .thank you mcs.

please dont misinterpret what i am saying...i am not trying to put anybody down.just telling a story related to this thread.

believe it or not most visitors to cuba dont smoke cigars (but many are curious enough and due to environment and location will try their first cigar)...i was in cuba recently with friends...one other was a cigar smoker and eight were not...the other guy bought a box of guantanamera crystals to give out to novice cigar smokers.myself...i handed out the best i had(at the moment)to anyone who wanted to try their first cigar(doesnt matter if they asked for a smoke or i offered first).

yes i watched someone put down one of my beloved santo coronas with but an inch smoked...maybe i should have given him a milder cigar.

who was right and who was wrong??? neither of us i suppose its just two different kinds of people(it appears(from this thread) i am in the minority tho)...still i shudder at the thought of giving a guantanamera to someone as their first cuban cigar.

didnt add much to this thread.

thanks again for your post mcs.
derrek :hm

LasciviousXXX 01-25-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvickery (Post 1147729)
i handed out the best i had...

Quoted for truth!!!

When this man speaks, I listen :tu

jsd 01-25-2011 12:01 PM

I don't understand how anybody can bring themselves to mooch a cigar. I think I'm fairly generous when it comes to sharing cigars with friends, but don't ask me for one. Plan ahead. Bring your own if you're going somewhere that you know cigars will be smoked or be prepared to go without.

replicant_argent 01-25-2011 12:06 PM

If you think so little of the people you hang out with, perhaps you should find some folks you wouldn't care if you gave a cigar to and they didn't care for it.

Noodles 01-25-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 1147686)
So that's why you gave me that aged Nub at Shack!!! I see where I stand with you.

Only the best for you, Bao. ;)

markem 01-25-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 1147553)
That's perfectly understandable. But that guy wasn't a bum, either. I've given away quite a few to strangers. Just not to strangers who ask for them just to ask.

There's a huge difference to gifting sticks to someone, stranger or not, who you think will enjoy it and someone who thinks they're entitled to it because they ask. It's not like you're shaking a 30 cent cigarette out of a pack.

Like many others, I'll give away almost any cigar in my case. I frequently pass around my case (new bling: Hali zero!) and tell people to dive in, whether I know them or not.

Life it too short not to create smiles whenever possible. Repeat moochers, I discourage, but others, who knows, maybe I made their year.

Neens 01-25-2011 12:56 PM

The only people I have had ask me for a cigar are friends or family in which case they get what I'm smoking or if I'm out their pick of what I have. I can't say someone I never met before has ever asked me for a stick. I have been asked if they could buy one off me. If that's the case I normaly just hand one over unless we have only been talking for less than 5-10 minutes. I don't think I would ever ask someone for a stick and not expect to pay for it. Even more so someone I just started talking to.

pnoon 01-25-2011 12:56 PM

If I give/gift someone a cigar, it is theirs to do with as they wish.

If it is given with strings attached then it is not really a gift. I would never give someone a cigar if I have to dictate what they do with it or demand that they enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Noodles 01-25-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1147838)
If I give/gift someone a cigar, it is theirs to do with as they wish.

If it is given with strings attached then it is not really a gift. I would never give someone a cigar if I have to dictate what they do with it or demand that they enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well said, Peter.

markem 01-25-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1147838)

See? That's why I don't give you sticks, Peter.

pnoon 01-25-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 1147859)
See? That's why I don't give you sticks, Peter.

:hf
Posted via Mobile Device

Brian D. 01-25-2011 01:29 PM

This a funny topic for me to stumble across today. This morning I was at the B&M in downtown Cincinnati. (As you may know, tobacconist shops in Ohio are about the only legal places to smoke indoors nowadays. Anyhow, this sometimes leads to..uh, an interesting mix of non-customers coming in merely to be out of the cold.)

A scruffy guy of the above type comes in and sits down for a few minutes. He was not in anybody's way but the employees were keeping an eye on him, so was I for that matter. He said nothing until he saw that my mostly-smoked cigar was perched in the ashtray. His question was "Are you gonna finish that?". I replied that I indeed would be finishing it. That's when the employees told him that it was time to go.

Several minutes later, after said stogie was done and at the bottom of the ashtray, covered with ashes and no longer lit, same gent popped in long enough to swipe it.

Thankfully this is not a frequent occurence there. This thread does make it seem like some of you might have been much more kindly than I was, maybe you could have given him one of your best ISOM sticks. :r