Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=705)

germantown rob 03-18-2009 10:36 PM

Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

So after 15+ years of moka pot using I bought a Brikka. :al

I will say this, it not the same as a moka pot, so until I can make this widget sing I have no opinion.

Mister Moo 03-20-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 201593)
So I got a Moka pot for Christmas, and I use it mostly to make Mokachinos. I tried several different methods to heat and froth milk until I found this little gem.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../Nespresso.jpg

It heats and froths milk in about 1 minute, and I think it does a great job.

Does anyone else here go to the trouble to heat and froth milk for their Moka?

That's quite a cool looking deal. Pics of your mokaccino results?

Mister Moo 03-20-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germantown rob (Post 293914)
... until I can make this widget sing I have no opinion.

EvanS got one and thinks it's the greatest thing since roasted coffee beans. Given everything he did to botch up making crema-covered moka with a regular (proper) mokapot I have figured the Brikka is a cop-out utensil for sissies. I know he smokes a lot of burley so, naturally, the red flag was already up on his ideas of what is right and wrong. :D

I would value your opinion on the performance compared to Bialetti Express.

What size did you get, btw?

Buena Fortuna 03-20-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 295738)
That's quite a cool looking deal. Pics of your mokaccino results?

I'll put some up here in the near future:tu

germantown rob 03-20-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 295746)
EvanS got one and thinks it's the greatest thing since roasted coffee beans. Given everything he did to botch up making crema-covered moka with a regular (proper) mokapot I have figured the Brikka is a cop-out utensil for sissies. I know he smokes a lot of burley so, naturally, the red flag was already up on his ideas of what is right and wrong. :D

LOL! :r

Quote:

I would value your opinion on the performance compared to Bialetti Express.

Do I have a fever? No I am just Blushing. :wo

Quote:

What size did you get, btw?

The largest of course. The 4 cup produces roughly the same as a 3 cup moka.

It is different and is tough to put side by side with a moka pot. The entire brew process is only 5 secs long compared to 30 secs in a moka pot so it doesn't have the developed flavors which I am so accustomed to.

The challenge now is to work with the amount of bean and grind size since the pressure is predetermined by the widget (a weight that blocks the spout). I have already found vast differences from the cups made with 20g-30g and the grind from what I use on the aluminum moka pot and what I use in the Stainless pot. It was suggested by someone to try even coarser grind with less bean, so there is much to play with.

I find it difficult to view the Brikka as different from a moka pot but the results I have had so far suggest it is a brew method of it's own.

yourchoice 06-30-2009 10:14 PM

Why did I click on this thread? Looks like I'm going shopping soon. :)

Thanks for all the great info...hopefully it is as easy as you all make it sound! :r

Mister Moo 07-01-2009 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 447167)
Thanks for all the great info...hopefully it is as easy as you all make it sound! :r

It is - with freshly roasted and freshly ground beans. It is worth the small effort to find out how great coffee can be. :tu

bookman 07-11-2009 08:36 PM

Bialeti sove top.

TheRealBonger 03-12-2010 10:08 AM

I had the god shot out of my moka pot last night. Trying to choke the machine with fine grind and no tamp brought out the syrupy sweetness in a fresh roasted Rwanda blend from whole foods. Can't wait to get home for another drink :)

Mister Moo 03-12-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealBonger (Post 791744)
I had the god shot out of my moka pot last night. Trying to choke the machine with fine grind and no tamp brought out the syrupy sweetness in a fresh roasted Rwanda blend from whole foods. Can't wait to get home for another drink :)

From Top Post: "There are so-called world-class lifetime coffee demons who haven't even DREAMED of making moka like we do, right here in the Asylum. While the gurus are talking about "moka", we're right here getting 100% of the glory out of the beans. Amen."

What can I say? Choke the bastard (almost). :D

mosesbotbol 03-12-2010 12:09 PM

Some say to use a very slightly rounded top of fine coffee and that is enough tamp when it is screwed down. I usually just make it flat like measuring flour.

I hardly ever use my moka pots. I use to like 10 years ago, but just got bored with them.

BengalMan 04-09-2010 09:50 AM

I picked up the Bialetti Moka 3 cup and some espresso ground coffee from Starbucks (was the closest thing to Bed Bath and Beyond to get coffee and try it out). Overall, It was a pleasant first experience. The only thing that I don't like is that it simply makes too much. It makes about 4-5 full double espresso cups. With this one, I'm going to be wasting almost half every day which isn't very cost effective. They didn't carry the 1 cup unfortunately. I may order the 1 cup online, that is unless I can put less water and coffee into the 3 cup? Could I fill it half way with water and coffee or is that a no go?

BengalMan 04-10-2010 04:24 PM

I filled it with about 1/2-3/4 of an inch less water and not as much grounds and ended up getting roughly 2 double shots worth which is good. I think I'll stick with the 3 cup, maybe pick up a one cup down the line.

Mister Moo 04-10-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalMan (Post 822918)
I picked up the Bialetti Moka 3 cup ... Could I fill it half way with water and coffee or is that a no go?

No go - no underfilling water or coffee. I way favor the 2-cup for one person.

tupacboy 04-13-2010 06:04 PM

nooberific question here... sorry i'm kinda new to the coffee love world...

so moka = expresso

brika = Brikka is a modified moka pot by Bialetti

Can someone please explain what the express and mukka does?

Thanks

Mister Moo 04-13-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 827253)
nooberific question here... sorry i'm kinda new to the coffee love world...

so moka = expresso

brika = Brikka is a modified moka pot by Bialetti

Can someone please explain what the express and mukka does?

Thanks

moka = not-espresso = very strong coffee made under low pressure created by expanding coffee grounds during the brew cycle. It can be espresso-like but not the same.

espresso = way-strong coffee made under high (9bar+) pressure usually generated by an electric pump.

Bialetti Express is a plain old normal conventional mokapot.

http://fantes.com/images/espresso_stovetop.gif

from http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html

Brikka is a mokapot that has a pressure retention device atop the central column (post) that relives the operator of creating the necessary pressure (to make moka) by carefully managing the grind of the coffee and the fill of the basket.

tupacboy 04-13-2010 09:02 PM

if i get a mukka.. i don't have to add milk do i? if i just want coffee?

Mister Moo 04-14-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 827475)
if i get a mukka.. i don't have to add milk do i? if i just want coffee?

It needs added milk but I think it can also run with water to make an Americano. I have one and can explore that if you cannot find a clear answer elsewhere.

htown 04-14-2010 05:54 AM

My wife brought one of these home, but we can't get it to work. It creates steam, but no coffee comes out of the top.

Mister Moo 04-14-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htown (Post 827761)
My wife brought one of these home, but we can't get it to work. It creates steam, but no coffee comes out of the top.

One of these?

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_m...713728992P.JPG

That sounds disappointing. Never heard of a problem with a Mukka or Brikka.

htown 04-14-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 828013)
One of these?

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_m...713728992P.JPG

That sounds disappointing. Never heard of a problem with a Mukka or Brikka.

Not sure what brand it is.

tupacboy 04-16-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 827746)
It needs added milk but I think it can also run with water to make an Americano. I have one and can explore that if you cannot find a clear answer elsewhere.

went to the mall... the people at williams & sonoma said that if i don't add milk... all it does is just release the steam/pressure... and i still should have the coffee... what do you think?

Mister Moo 04-17-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 829948)
went to the mall... the people at williams & sonoma said that if i don't add milk... all it does is just release the steam/pressure... and i still should have the coffee... what do you think?

I think I read something to the contrary a while back; am traveling this weekend but will test mine, milkless, next week if you wish.

tupacboy 04-19-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 830677)
I think I read something to the contrary a while back; am traveling this weekend but will test mine, milkless, next week if you wish.

Your time and testing would be greatly apprecaited :)

tupacboy 05-13-2010 10:39 AM

just wanted to follow this up mr moo... any news?

Mister Moo 05-13-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 857655)
just wanted to follow this up mr moo... any news?

thru the cracks... tomorrow!

Mister Moo 05-18-2010 06:15 AM

I made four Americanos from different sized Mukkas; results were essentially identical, large pot or small. The quality of the cup is highly dependent on the quality of the coffee. Due to circumstances I am drinking commercial "First Colony" Costa Rican whole bean from Williamsburg, VA, this week. Being kind, it is slightly above average commercial. I tried some regular moka in a Bialetti Express with it last week and it was flat, too.

Mukka instructions say to use milk only in the top pot. I subbed water and ran the machine as per cappuccino. All four pots tasted the same; less water in the north pot might have made a little difference. Milk and sugar added in the cup still left it tasting like McDonalds coffee with milk and sugar. Not bad. Not good. Basically, it made a marginal americano using marginal fresh-ground coffee.

I am certain freshly roasted coffee, freshly ground to espresso fineness, would have made a decent americano. A Mukka without proper grind would be wasted; Bustelo from the can would probably work as well as this mornings First Colony.

http://i39.tinypic.com/6zuhq0.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/j5gi9s.jpg

Mom moved in last year (she's 97) and, although she really likes good coffee, she occupies a lot of my (former) spare time; a problem exchange student from Belgium moved in last January; and I developed a pinched nerve in my neck two weeks ago. I REALLY want to roast some coffee but it's gonna be at least two more weeks before I get around to it. When I do, I'll try another Amukkacano. Absent good coffee I am sliding by on Percocet and water. Not all bad. :)

tupacboy 05-19-2010 10:48 AM

thank you so much for taking the time :) and pic!

germantown rob 05-19-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 862144)

Mom moved in last year (she's 97) and, although she really likes good coffee, she occupies a lot of my (former) spare time; a problem exchange student from Belgium moved in last January; and I developed a pinched nerve in my neck two weeks ago. I REALLY want to roast some coffee but it's gonna be at least two more weeks before I get around to it. When I do, I'll try another Amukkacano. Absent good coffee I am sliding by on Percocet and water. Not all bad. :)

You are a hell of a guy Moo:tu

I will trade you some fresh roast for some Percocet, a Percocet makes a 1 months old cry sound like angles singing. I should still have your addy and I need to roast tomorrow so I will get some done for you and send it off, I hate to think about the poor Moo mug having stale coffee in it.

Yup, I have your addy as long as it has not changed.

Mister Moo 05-20-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germantown rob (Post 863851)

I will trade you some fresh roast for some Percocet, a Percocet makes a 1 months old cry sound like angles singing. I should still have your addy and I need to roast tomorrow so I will get some done for you and send it off, I hate to think about the poor Moo mug having stale coffee in it.

This is a mokapot thread; you need to waltz this topic over to the Percocet thread. Cigars & Percocet thread? Pipes & Percocet thread? Oops. Wait. There isn't a Percocet thread. Not until now. We shall allow this is a Mokapots, Moka, Stovetop Espresso & Narcotics" thread. Coffee... codeine... what's the big difference?

Never took a Percocet before last week; I gather this is (was?) the brand name of the Rush Limbaugh drug of deafness, etc. I am too old and poor to start a new career as a junkie and too busy to commence a yet another hobby so I am laying out on the narcotic thing. Not sure, firsthand anyhow, what the entertainment value of the pill is. Therapeutically speaking I am a big fan, though. After two weeks of sleep constantly interrupted by sensations or tingling, pressure and pain - the kind you can deal with in the daytime but it's just bad enough to bounce you from sound sleep - it was P'cet to the rescue. One at 10:00pm and I sleep pain free for at least six hours; it is quite the miracle. No side effects. Percocet, physical therapy, home traction and cortisone epidurals might do the trick but my neck is feeling like spinal fusion is in the future; don't think I can exercise my way out of this one.

Coffee? I bought two 24-oz. bags of this First Colony brand two weeks ago - it's just being introduced here in NC and was on sale 2:1 at Food Lion and I thought, "How bad can it be?" And it is OK, for sure, and that's what Mrs. Moo and I have been drinking. I figured it would run out in three weeks or so and spare me needing to go out and roast beans for little while. Then Mrs. Moo comes home the other day with two bags of the same stuff and says, "Look! I found a great deal on a new brand of coffee! You can take a break from roasting!" So now there is another 48-oz. I am sick of the ****. It was OK for a week or so in a pinch but, mercy... I am accepting charitable contributions without discussion. Thx Germ.

germantown rob 05-20-2010 09:22 AM

I did 4 roasts 250g each for you and heading to the post office now, I hope it gets to you Saturday.

DC# 03051720000045014891

I hope you get well soon.

Mister Moo 05-20-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germantown rob (Post 864286)
I did 4 roasts 250g each for you and heading to the post office now, I hope it gets to you Saturday.

DC# 03051720000045014891

I hope you get well soon.

You ARE the Germ! :=:

Thanks in advance from Mrs. Moo and me - very kind, Robbo. You makka me smile. )

tupacboy 06-27-2010 08:33 PM

so i picked up a electric mukka off ebay... works like a charm!

however the bottom portion has a bit of corrosion... i know its ok... but visually not appealing... what's the best way to clean it?

Mister Moo 06-29-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 901000)
so i picked up a electric mukka off ebay... works like a charm!

however the bottom portion has a bit of corrosion... i know its ok... but visually not appealing... what's the best way to clean it?

Water quality and aluminum corrosion issues vary; this corrosion issue is a new one on me. If it's calcification, soak with vinegar.

tupacboy 06-29-2010 09:59 PM

sorry it probably is calcification..

also there's a slight leak between the top and bottom when it starts to boil.. will a couple drops of mineral oil hurt ok? i think the coffee won't be affected cause mineral oil is tastless...

Mister Moo 06-30-2010 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupacboy (Post 903079)
sorry it probably is calcification..

also there's a slight leak between the top and bottom when it starts to boil.. will a couple drops of mineral oil hurt ok? i think the coffee won't be affected cause mineral oil is tastless...

Any leak is bad, explaining perhaps, why this pot was on ebay.

1. Mukka lower pots are round/large and hard to hold so be sure it's screwed down tightly - I use a rubber "jar opener" pad to get a good grip and a snug fit;
2. make sure threads and gasket are coffee-free before tightening;
3. make sure gasket is clean and pliable - replace a brittle or hardened gasket;
4. sometimes grounds get under a gasket making it impossible to flatten out. Pick it out carefully with a convenient large-animal dental tool and make sure nothing is trapped under it. If it feels rock-hard or brittle enough to crack when bending, replace it.

galaga 06-30-2010 09:27 AM

I wondered why you had that "large-animal" dental tool in your coffee supplies. Now I know.....:D

Jack1000 06-30-2010 02:17 PM

Wife ran my Brikka through the dishwasher yesterday and now it's a doorstop. Do not do this if you have an aluminum pot and like it.

tupacboy 06-30-2010 02:45 PM

added a couple of drops of mineral oil on the gasket.. no more leaks :)

going to try and make the ammericano tonight with some decaf

T.G 07-04-2010 12:00 AM

For anyone with the 1-cup Bialetti Moka Express, does it really make enough for one cup or do you loose a lot of water to the grinds and residual in the boiler?

Also, anyone have the 2-cup model with the platform for the cups and the copper fill pipes to the cups rather than the upper caraffe tank? Does it work any different than the Moka Express with the tank? Can both of the nozzles be swiveled over to fill one cup?

(this machine is only going to be for me, the 1cup seems small, the 3 would be too much)

thanks.

Mister Moo 07-07-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 907032)
For anyone with the 1-cup Bialetti Moka Express, does it really make enough for one cup or do you loose a lot of water to the grinds and residual in the boiler?

Also, anyone have the 2-cup model with the platform for the cups and the copper fill pipes to the cups rather than the upper caraffe tank? Does it work any different than the Moka Express with the tank? Can both of the nozzles be swiveled over to fill one cup?

(this machine is only going to be for me, the 1cup seems small, the 3 would be too much)

thanks.

Damn hard to find a 2-cupper anymore - don't know why. I have a Bialetti Dama and a Guzzini pot both in the 2-cup model and they're just right for me. I like the way the 1-cuppers brew best but, yes, they don't brew more than a double shot. They make one great Americano or cafe-au-lait, but not one and a half. :)

Never used that bent-spigot double thingie; REI sells them and I keep thinking it'd be fun to try each time I'm in the store. Memory says I read some bad reviews on it a while back but I can't say that firsthand. A Bialetti Express 3-cup isn't so bad but you might want to cruise the net hard looking for an real 2x. Or get an AeroPress.

Mister Moo 07-07-2010 11:49 AM

or a Brikka - http://www.bialettishop.com/BrikkaMain.htm

gvarsity 07-07-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDMatt (Post 8887)
I know this may be sacrilegious,but the Dr. says no caffeine. Can you recommend a decaf blend for this type of brewing? My moka pot has been on the shelf since the Dr.s recommendation.

Great thread BTW.

Norm at UncleBeanz has some fantastic decaf.

http://www.unclebeanz.com/merchant2/...egory_Code=DEC

The Opus1 exotic is quite good and an interesting story. As I understand it, the Opus1 is actually a arabica bean genetically bred to be less than 1% caffeine.

For decaf in general, I prefer coffee treated with the Swiss Water Method that doesn't require chemical solvents to remove the caffeine.

In general there is no shortage of good decaf coffee from good roasters it just tends to cost more due to the extra processing. I do know some companies will use a lower quality of bean for their decaf to keep the price per pound the same as their caffeinated coffee.

I did a lot of research on decaf as I got my wife hooked on coffee and then got her pregnant... twice and she wanted good quality decaf during her pregnancies. Even though I don't need to drink decaf after a cup or two of regular sometimes I still want coffee and having good decaf around is a nice thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Moo (Post 6117)
three-cupper for one hophead ex-crack addict

When I was in grad school I used to have six-cupper every morning. What does that make me? It was pretty crazy I would have a travel mug with with ten oz of moka pot coffee with honey and half/half at 6:30 and still be tweaking at 10pm. After two years of that I had to cut back. :D

T.G 07-07-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 909448)
Damn hard to find a 2-cupper anymore - don't know why. I have a Bialetti Dama and a Guzzini pot both in the 2-cup model and they're just right for me. I like the way the 1-cuppers brew best but, yes, they don't brew more than a double shot. They make one great Americano or cafe-au-lait, but not one and a half. :)

Never used that bent-spigot double thingie; REI sells them and I keep thinking it'd be fun to try each time I'm in the store. Memory says I read some bad reviews on it a while back but I can't say that firsthand. A Bialetti Express 3-cup isn't so bad but you might want to cruise the net hard looking for an real 2x. Or get an AeroPress.

Thanks.

Yeah, the 2-cup pots seem to be pretty much non existant.

So, Bialetti and Guzzini, any other manufacturers that are decent? Any that should best be avoided?

The Aeropress and the mokapot seem to be very different in operation and principle to me. I was thinking that the mokapot would be more capable of producing what I was looking for, the aeropress is more of a coffee maker, correct?

T.G 07-07-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 909467)

I saw that one the other day when I was looking at Bialetti's online shop & webpage. Seemed like some people here were less than impressed with them. Seems like a lot of money for a mediocre piece of coffee making equipment.

Mister Moo 07-08-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 909706)
...any other manufacturers that are decent? Any that should best be avoided?

The Aeropress and the mokapot seem to be very different in operation and principle to me. I was thinking that the mokapot would be more capable of producing what I was looking for, the aeropress is more of a coffee maker, correct?

Guzzini's are hard to find and very pricey but well made; anything Bialetti is going to be fine. I never tried the $6.95 Chinese versions at the grocery store.

AeroPress and mokapat are two ways to approach the taste of espresso without the $ investment or learning curve. I recently ran espresso (Nuova Simonelli Oscar), moka and AeroPress coffee from the same batch of beans and taste-tested them, side by side. The grinder was a Mazzer and the grind was specific to each coffeemaker. Tell you what - they were all different but not THAT different. Each was good in its own way; the AeroPress makes a VERY smooth espresso-like brew, by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G.
I saw that one [Brikka] the other day when I was looking at Bialetti's online shop & webpage. Seemed like some people here were less than impressed with them. Seems like a lot of money for a mediocre piece of coffee making equipment.

I never used one but some reliable non-purist coffee'ites I know swear by (not at) the Brikka. I wouldn't have one - prefer making my own crema the olde fashioned way. I believe the pressure/crema widget in the Brikka in similar to that in the Mukka (of which I have a pair); it works well to produce latte-like milk froth in coffee if it is milk froth you want.

Mister Moo 07-08-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germantown rob (Post 863851)

Dag, Robbo.... that last batch of ethiopian was fantastic! It was all about blueberries. Major "Wow."

T.G 07-08-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 910238)
Guzzini's are hard to find and very pricey but well made; anything Bialetti is going to be fine. I never tried the $6.95 Chinese versions at the grocery store.

I noticed that the one or two Guzzinis I found online yesterday were rather expensive, I think $90 or so, That's way more than I want to spend for casual use. I happened to be in the neighborhood of a CostPlus Worldmarket yesterday, so I ducked in to look what they had. Meh. They had the $6.95 Chinese knock-off of the Bialetti, piced at $19.99 (3-cup). Looked and felt like total junk compared to the Bialetti I looked at the other day at Target.

Quote:

AeroPress and mokapat are two ways to approach the taste of espresso without the $ investment or learning curve. I recently ran espresso (Nuova Simonelli Oscar), moka and AeroPress coffee from the same batch of beans and taste-tested them, side by side. The grinder was a Mazzer and the grind was specific to each coffeemaker. Tell you what - they were all different but not THAT different. Each was good in its own way; the AeroPress makes a VERY smooth espresso-like brew, by the way.

Ok, so it seems I was a bit off on my understanding of the Aeropress. I'm liking the 1-4 cup versatility, I'm liking the fast brew times (can't stand bitter, acidic coffee/espresso - the lower caffene content is a bonus), liking the filter to prevent sludge & crap in the coffee/faux-espresso. Also interesting is that I can't seem to find any negative reviews on the Aeropress, usually there is always at least someone who hates something, but with this nope, zip, zilch, nada. Closest I can find is someone sayig "350 filters lasting two years is misleading. Who only makes one espresso every other day?"

Will the Aeropress work with the pre-ground espressos? Or is that too fine a grind?

Lastly, how much coffee does each scoop hold? I saw someone on amazon write that each scoop is 3 tablespoons. Not teaspoons, but tablespoons. So to make 4 aeropress shots you need 3./4 cup of ground coffee??!?!?

Quote:

I never used one but some reliable non-purist coffee'ites I know swear by (not at) the Brikka. I wouldn't have one - prefer making my own crema the olde fashioned way. I believe the pressure/crema widget in the Brikka in similar to that in the Mukka (of which I have a pair); it works well to produce latte-like milk froth in coffee if it is milk froth you want.

Ok, seems I phrased that poorly or mistook some commentary about the device then.

Not really into lattes to be honest.

T.G 07-09-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 910339)
Lastly, how much coffee does each scoop hold? I saw someone on amazon write that each scoop is 3 tablespoons. Not teaspoons, but tablespoons. So to make 4 aeropress shots you need 3./4 cup of ground coffee??!?!?

Duuuuurrrr...

No need to address that question anymore as I measured what the size of the scoops are that I use in my B&D single cup drip machine each morning and they are 1 tablespoon scoops, maybe a bit more. I typically use three of them, three heaping scoops of them.

Mister Moo 07-09-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 910339)
...Ok, seems I phrased that poorly or mistook some commentary about the [Brikka] device then.

Not really into lattes to be honest.

The Brikka is a straight up mokapot with a little pressure widget that makes crema without particular regard to technique; it does this similarly to how the Mukka makes milk froth. People who use them for moka like them. The Brikka is not a latte maker - the Mukka is.

I sent my AeroPress off for someone to use and I can't recall the details it - except, it makes excellent coffee with med/fine grounds. fresher the better.