Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1754)

icehog3 10-11-2009 08:49 AM

Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 594153)
:r
Why does the photoshop pic of Moe still look like Moe? I never noticed the resemblance before, Admiral!;)

Why I oughtta...... :r

bigheadmark 10-31-2009 08:00 AM

What is the proper way to "drybox" cigars...?

NCRadioMan 10-31-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigheadmark (Post 625436)
What is the proper way to "drybox" cigars...?

Put a cigar in a box without humidification. Or just place it on the counter for a few days.

Santesyu 11-07-2009 02:43 PM

Is there any other methods of trying to prelong a cigar without a humidor? Atleast 2 weeks tops? maybe 3..

NCRadioMan 11-07-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santesyu (Post 635747)
Is there any other methods of trying to prelong a cigar without a humidor? Atleast 2 weeks tops? maybe 3..

Ziplock bag is fine for a few weeks. Tupperware or Gladware is a good alternative too.

Santesyu 11-07-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 635751)
Ziplock bag is fine for a few weeks. Tupperware or Gladware is a good alternative too.

If I did it that way how long do you the average cigar can last up to?

Barteur 11-07-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santesyu (Post 635779)

If the conditions inside the tupperdor are good I would say as long as you wish. Look at the cooler threads you will see what I mean:tu Many of the brothers have them here and with great success.

NCRadioMan 11-07-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santesyu (Post 635779)

In a ziplock, 3-4 weeks before I would start be concerned. In tupperware or gladware, years. I have had a Gladware container full of cigars for over two years and the humidity has stayed at 65% like a rock. Coolers are another great alternative that many of us use. You can always place humidifiers in any of these and keep cigars in there indefinitely.

PuffdaMagic 11-13-2009 03:27 AM

is it okay to leave the plastic wrapper on a cigar if storing it for a long period of time?

Zanaspus 11-13-2009 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffdaMagic (Post 643069)
is it okay to leave the plastic wrapper on a cigar if storing it for a long period of time?

Many prefer leaving the cello on. Age old debate, on or off. Cello is gas permeable and will allow proper aging. It also protects from damage. I take mine off, but that's just one BOTL's preference.

The EVP 11-13-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffdaMagic (Post 643069)

I store it just like I bought it. If the manu put it on, they did so for a reason.

trojan_knight 11-18-2009 06:35 PM

I have been part of CI's cigar club for a few months and have bought a few samplers. I am really pleased with 5 Vegas classics, any CAO, and my favorite so far are the Montecristo Media Noche.

so now to a total newb Q.:

I know everyone's tastes are different but, here in Wyoming I can't go and sniff or check out many cigars. So, do the masters here have any suggestions for a neophyte like me, given my above statement?

Thanks

NCRadioMan 11-18-2009 06:39 PM

Easy. Try everything you can. It takes years but it's a fun ride. :tu

trojan_knight 11-18-2009 06:52 PM

Thanks, that has been my approach. I will take anything I can get but I do not like paying for sub-par stuff. I am not sure how to sort out junk from good, without any input other than, pics, the occasional review, and my very limited experience.

bobarian 11-18-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojan_knight (Post 650002)
I have been part of CI's cigar club for a few months and have bought a few samplers. I am really pleased with 5 Vegas classics, any CAO, and my favorite so far are the Montecristo Media Noche.

so now to a total newb Q.:

I know everyone's tastes are different but, here in Wyoming I can't go and sniff or check out many cigars. So, do the masters here have any suggestions for a neophyte like me, given my above statement?

Thanks

Read reviews here and see what others are smoking. Try and pick up a fiver here and there on cigarbid, joecigar or cigarmonster. Try as many different brands and blends as you can. When you find one you like, then check some of the big sites to find other cigars of similar profile. Take notes on what you like and have fun. :2

Whee 11-18-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trojan_knight (Post 650031)
Thanks, that has been my approach. I will take anything I can get but I do not like paying for sub-par stuff. I am not sure how to sort out junk from good, without any input other than, pics, the occasional review, and my very limited experience.

One man's junk food is another man's fine cuisine.

I was a sampler whore when I started. Smoked a lot of crappy cigars to find the ones that I really liked.

Keep smoking.:ss

stj386 11-20-2009 10:59 PM

Hello,
I have a huge problem where i cant get the temperature in my humidor below 84 degrees. I live in Hawaii and my apartment stay pretty hot day and night year round. I currently have my humidor in the closet with a fan circulation air but its not helping . Additionally I'm trying to keep the humidity low so as to not allow tobacco bugs to hatch but i dont know if that will help. I heard that freezing the cigars for two days will kill the bugs; and that if they are properly resorted to room temperature that they will be fine to smoke in a few days.
So i guess what Im asking is, are there any other ways to cool my humidor and should I go ahead an freeze my cigars?

DPD6030 11-20-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stj386 (Post 653264)
Hello,
I have a huge problem where i cant get the temperature in my humidor below 84 degrees. I live in Hawaii and my apartment stay pretty hot day and night year round. I currently have my humidor in the closet with a fan circulation air but its not helping . Additionally I'm trying to keep the humidity low so as to not allow tobacco bugs to hatch but i dont know if that will help. I heard that freezing the cigars for two days will kill the bugs; and that if they are properly resorted to room temperature that they will be fine to smoke in a few days.
So i guess what Im asking is, are there any other ways to cool my humidor and should I go ahead an freeze my cigars?

I would freeze your cigars for sure. I do with every cigar that comes in just to be safe. I freeze for 72 hours.

No real way to cool your humidor unless you have air conditioning or a basement. Keep it in the coolest darkest place.

theonlybear4CORT 11-20-2009 11:36 PM

What cigar pairs best with iced chi tea?

bobarian 11-21-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPD6030 (Post 653285)
I would freeze your cigars for sure. I do with every cigar that comes in just to be safe. I freeze for 72 hours.

No real way to cool your humidor unless you have air conditioning or a basement. Keep it in the coolest darkest place.

Freezing is the way to go. Here is a good thread to read. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=freezing
72hours at minimum in your climate. :tu Once you freeze you can display your humidor as long as it doesnt get direct sunlight.

High humidity can lead to mold, but beads should keep your smokes at a constant Rh. I recommend 65% Heartfelt beads. :2

bobarian 11-21-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_mike (Post 653294)
What cigar pairs best with iced chi tea?

I would recommend Peach White Owl Blunts to pair with that tea, Mike! :D

icehog3 11-21-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 653328)

Good way to ruin a perfectly good cigar! :r

theonlybear4CORT 11-21-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Wanna meet up for a tea and peach blunt brunch?

:ss

mariogolbee 11-21-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

I thought a Moontrance would do the trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_mike (Post 653339)
Wanna meet up for a tea and peach blunt brunch?

:ss

I do. Only if I can smoke it backwards though.

bobarian 11-21-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariogolbee (Post 653382)
I thought a Moontrance would do the trick.

That's because you are a noob and dont know any better!:r

Those with experienced palates know that you pair a Moontrance with Herbal tea not chai!:rolleyes:

Subvet642 11-27-2009 10:38 AM

Hi Folks! I'm thinking of a new lighter, and it seems to me that a jet type would be best, but I've seen models with two and three jets. Do these multi jet lighters have any advantages to them? If so, what?

Zanaspus 11-27-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 659833)
Hi Folks! I'm thinking of a new lighter, and it seems to me that a jet type would be best, but I've seen models with two and three jets. Do these multi jet lighters have any advantages to them? If so, what?

I'm sure others will have different opinions. I like a single jet. Burns less fuel and does the trick. The only advantage to multi-jet in my mind is faster toasting, but, meh, I'm patient when I sit down with a cigar.

Subvet642 11-27-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanaspus (Post 659839)
I'm sure others will have different opinions. I like a single jet. Burns less fuel and does the trick. The only advantage to multi-jet in my mind is faster toasting, but, meh, I'm patient when I sit down with a cigar.

That makes sense, and it would seem that a single jet would be more precise. Thanks.

NCRadioMan 11-27-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 659844)
That makes sense, and it would seem that a single jet would be more precise. Thanks.

I wouldn't say it's more precise. It's all how the user uses it. I can touch up a cigar with a 4 burner just as neat and easy as a single. I like the triple and quad torches simply because it covers more surface area at once and lights quickly. My cheap triple torch has a large tank and lasts alot longer than any single I have ever had, fwiw.

Subvet642 11-27-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 659847)
...I like the triple and quad torches simply because it covers more surface area at once and lights quickly. My cheap triple torch has a large tank and lasts alot longer than any single I have ever had, fwiw.

I'm glad I asked; there's a lot to consider before investing in one.

CigarNut 11-27-2009 01:04 PM

I have regular (non-torch) and 1, 2, and 3 burner torches and I find that each has its place. I like the regular lighter for travel, the one burner torch for small ring gauge cigars like lancero's. Bigger ring gauges get a bigger torch.

I usually carry several lighters with me - yes I know that this is a little extreme :)

Subvet642 11-27-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 659941)
I usually carry several lighters with me - yes I know that this is a little extreme :)

I get it, I love accessories, too. What you need is a folding leather case that will carry them all in their own little slot.

kalivoda87 12-02-2009 09:40 PM

Heres a random question but can you really tell if a cigar is too dry/moist when you smoke it? How bout by sight and touch? I want to know to see if my humidor is working how it should.

bobarian 12-02-2009 09:47 PM

Rh too high if your smokes consistently have tight draws. Crispy wrappers would be an indication of too low humidity. What are you using for humidity control? In FL I would suspect you have a problem maintaining lower than 70% Rh. Are you using a calibrated hygrometer? I have my Rh between 62-65% and everything is fine. Its not guesswork, but a combination of good control(Heartfelt Humidity Beads) and a calibrated hygrometer. :2

jjmitchem 12-06-2009 07:28 AM

I have a question that has probably been asked before so forgive me. Being Active Duty we will move quite a bit and I want to know everyone's opinion of ling term use of a travel humidor? Since I am just getting into this I currently have a Cigar Caddy 5 count - don't want to buy a lot of one kind while I figure out my taste. Can I use multiple cigar caddy's for my storage? and how should I maintain them? I am thinking about getting a 10 or more count one next.

Thanks in advance
Jim

pmwz 12-06-2009 11:04 AM

get tupperware + beads/puck if you want to store the cigars for more than a couple of weeks.

Kreth 12-06-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmwz (Post 670225)
get tupperware + beads/puck if you want to store the cigars for more than a couple of weeks.

I've had some sticks in my Cigar Caddy for over a month now. I threw one of shilala's soft beadsticks in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

NCRadioMan 12-06-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 670055)
Can I use multiple cigar caddy's for my storage? and how should I maintain them? I am thinking about getting a 10 or more count one next.

Thanks in advance
Jim

Yes, you can. I keep cigars in mine for months without any humidification and they smoke fine. As long as they are properly humidified going in, they will not dry out. Do yourself a favor and get the 15 or 18 count model. You can take the foam trays out and get a lot more cigars in there. I can put almost 30 cigars in my 15 count without the foam trays.

jjmitchem 12-12-2009 09:10 AM

Next beginner question

How much difference does a torpedo make on the draw of the cigar? how far up can you cut it and get a looser draw?

Is it typical to prefer one over another - a Parejo or a Torpedo

pnoon 12-12-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 677798)
Next beginner question

How much difference does a torpedo make on the draw of the cigar? how far up can you cut it and get a looser draw?

Is it typical to prefer one over another - a Parejo or a Torpedo

There is nothing typical when it comes to preferences. Your preferences are just that - your preferences. Don't let anyone else's (no matter their experience) influene your preferences.

I typically cut a torpedo thin - and always at a slight angle. If the draw is not optimal, I can always snip off a little more.

:2

jjmitchem 12-12-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 677822)
There is nothing typical when it comes to preferences. Your preferences are just that - your preferences. Don't let anyone else's (no matter their experience) influene your preferences.
:2

what I meant is that do some prefer one or the other or are they different depending upon the roller?

If I find I do not prefer torpedos after a few does that mean I will not prefer all torpedos?

icehog3 12-12-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 677834)
what I meant is that do some prefer one or the other or are they different depending upon the roller?

If I find I do not prefer torpedos after a few does that mean I will not prefer all torpedos?

I am much more concerned with the flavor of a cigar than shape. There are torpedos I like and those I don't, based on taste. So my answer to your question would be "no".

pnoon 12-12-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 677840)
I am much more concerned with the flavor of a cigar than shape. There are torpedos I like and those I don't, based on taste. So my answer to your question would be "no".

:tpd:

jjmitchem 12-12-2009 09:33 AM

Sorry, need to clarify again:rolleyes:

I am talking only about the draw, nothing else

pnoon 12-12-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 677849)
Sorry, need to clarify again:rolleyes:

I am talking only about the draw, nothing else

IMO, no correlation. You'll find good/bad draws with torpedos and parejos alike.

Keep smoking.

T.G 12-12-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 677840)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 677844)

icehog3 12-12-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 677858)
IMO, no correlation. You'll find good/bad draws with torpedos and parejos alike.

Keep smoking.

bobarian 12-12-2009 11:50 AM

Wise words above. :tpd:

To elaborate a bit on cutting a torpedo, and this is by no means the definitive word, but I like to cut mine at about a 30degree angle about 3/8" up. Test the draw and if you want it a bit more free then cut another 1/4 inch. You can also recut after smoking a bit if it starts to get tight. The reason for cutting at an angle is that you get more surface space exposed. :2

jjmitchem 12-12-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 677998)
Wise words above. :tpd:

To elaborate a bit on cutting a torpedo, and this is by no means the definitive word, but I like to cut mine at about a 30degree angle about 3/8" up. Test the draw and if you want it a bit more free then cut another 1/4 inch. You can also recut after smoking a bit if it starts to get tight. The reason for cutting at an angle is that you get more surface space exposed. :2

Good instructions

Need to get myself a decent cutter for the torpedos I have. I have been using a punch and been happy with it so far

pnoon 12-12-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 678001)
Good instructions

Need to get myself a decent cutter for the torpedos I have. I have been using a punch and been happy with it so far

Look around for threads discussing the pros and cons to various cutters. Many here, like me, prefer a Palio but there are many others that folks prefer.