Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   iPhone 5 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57389)

CigarGuy88 08-06-2012 09:56 AM

Re: iPhone 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by King James (Post 1694854)
Is that your "early upgrade" date? Usually your contract is 2 years but they let you upgrade early after 18 mos.

Yup :fp

King James 08-06-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1694901)
Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things.

It seems that they are changing the dock connector standard in order to further upgrade the hardware.

Standards change, it always sucks at first. VCR to DVD, or DVD to Blu Ray made everyone that wanted to adopt the new technology go purchase new equipment. Apple has used the same standard for 10 years, and will likely make an adaptor so people don't get completely screwed over. Will it be ideal, no, but at least its an option.

Apple can use some tricks to get people to buy new stuff every year by making small incremental changes. This, however, doesn't seem like one of them IMO.

mosesbotbol 08-06-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King James (Post 1694958)
It seems that they are changing the dock connector standard in order to further upgrade the hardware.

Standards change, it always sucks at first. VCR to DVD, or DVD to Blu Ray made everyone that wanted to adopt the new technology go purchase new equipment. Apple has used the same standard for 10 years, and will likely make an adaptor so people don't get completely screwed over. Will it be ideal, no, but at least its an option.

Apple can use some tricks to get people to buy new stuff every year by making small incremental changes. This, however, doesn't seem like one of them IMO.

I disagree on this. Just like when Apple went from the mini headphone plug in the first iphone to the regular one after which.

We are not talking about a new format (which is the device itself which uses the same cords as the older technology). What they are doing is making a change to force buyers to get new accessories in addition to the phone. No one was forced to buy a new tv or stereo because the moved from vhs to dvd.

King James 08-06-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1694977)
I disagree on this. Just like when Apple went from the mini headphone plug in the first iphone to the regular one after which.

We are not talking about a new format (which is the device itself which uses the same cords as the older technology). What they are doing is making a change to force buyers to get new accessories in addition to the phone. No one was forced to buy a new tv or stereo because the moved from vhs to dvd.

It was more of an example of changing standards than a direct comparison. You did need to buy a new player to use on a TV, but I only give the example to use as a somewhat comparable illustration of frustration with new standards.

We may have to agree to disagree, but my point is that the standard has been used for 10 years, its not as if they switch connectors every other year. And in this case, they likely need the switch to make room for upgrades within the phone. It sucks that people will have to either use the adaptor or buy new equipment, but the change was needed. Like I said, I do agree that Apple can sometimes use shady tactics with small, incremental upgrades to get people to buy new versions of products.

Also, lets wait and see what changes actually occur and what the adaptor looks like and how it functions (if it even exists) before we really can have a good debate about it lol.

Sauer Grapes 08-06-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1694901)
Upgrading hardware for performance and being mandated to adopt to new standards are two different things. I despise Apple, but was one of the first to have an iPhone and still using the 1st gen. phone!

Who am I to knock what they are doing. They are way more successful than I could ever dream of being, but to think of hassle users will go through with the new adapter is sad. Think of car manufacturers that have the current adapter built-in like BMW and Jaguar (I sure there more than that). How is an inline converter going to work even if that's an option?

Having to use an adapter in a car will definitely be a pain since some have them built in. I'm glad that mine just has a USB port (I know that both Ford and Honda do that). In my case, all I'll need is the USB cord that Apple provides. Of course, this means that I'll probably have to buy an extra to leave in the car.

My only concern is whether or not my stereo will need a software upgrade to work with the new iphone. Of course, that really isn't Apple's fault and it's not iPhone specific by any means.

Wanger 08-06-2012 01:29 PM

Looking forward to getting a 5. I've had my 4 for 2 years now, and I've been happy with it. Didn't want to 4s, since it really didn't seem like much of an ugrade, to me. Will definitely like a better camera in it (not that the one in the 4 was all that horrible), too.

As for the new pin configuration...whatever. It wouldn't be a big deal to me to have to get an adapter. The only place I have a built in dock is my stereo, anwway, and I don't use my phone on that. I use an iPod Classic (more music on it). Anything else would use cords. Won't likely ever get a car that would have a specific dock for a particular piece of equipment already in place. And if I did, I'm sure that the car manufacturer, or someone else would make an adapter that fit within the framework of the dock that was there, allowing it to dock in at least a similar manner.

emopunker2004 08-06-2012 04:54 PM

Well looks like we shall be going to sprint and ugrading early and getting a pair or 4s's :tu

Montano 08-06-2012 05:13 PM

I passed on the 4S, since my 4 is working perfectly. All I need is a bigger screen and I'm happy :)

jluck 08-06-2012 05:43 PM

But...but...but what about the iphone 5....S! That should be way mor gooder:rolleyes:

King James 08-06-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montano (Post 1695179)
I passed on the 4S, since my 4 is working perfectly. All I need is a bigger screen and I'm happy :)

Assuming the rumors are true, I may actually miss the smaller screen. I like being able to comfortably reach the entire screen with just my thumb when using the phone with one hand.

Fia 08-06-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 1694555)
I will definitely be getting a 5. My 4 has served me well... but it is time.

ditto..Ill probably wait a month or so just in case there are any bugs.:tu

jjmitchem 08-06-2012 08:43 PM

I'll let my wife upgrade first so I can see if I want one :)

Boz 08-06-2012 10:22 PM

Man I hope it's released soon. I'm still rocking the 3gs and it works just fine but it's getting slow and I'm just ready for something new.

Edit: Hey look, 1000th post :wo

Blak Smyth 08-07-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montano (Post 1695179)

I agree Nick, that and a better camera.

emopunker2004 08-07-2012 05:42 AM

From the pictures i've seen the 4s seems to have a pretty darn good camera for a phone.

Also, I believe iOS6 will be out this fall for the 4 and 4s and the 3gs will get some of the goodies from iOS6 as well.

Blak Smyth 08-07-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emopunker2004 (Post 1695438)
From the pictures i've seen the 4s seems to have a pretty darn good camera for a phone

Yah my wife has one, it blows away my 4. I think the 4S is 8mp compared to the 4 that is closer to 5mp.
I still expect the 5 to be better though, theres talk about Apple using Sony lens parts. Not sure if this is good or bad.

emopunker2004 08-07-2012 05:45 AM

Yes I believe the 4 had a 5mp =/

Hopefully going to own a 4s here in a few hrs

Blak Smyth 08-07-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emopunker2004 (Post 1695440)
Yes I believe the 4 had a 5mp =/

Hopefully going to own a 4s here in a few hrs

It takes great pics and has Siri, thats the only advantage I see over the 4, comparing my 4 to my wifes 4S.

emopunker2004 08-07-2012 10:29 AM

:wo
I now have a white iPhone 4S and the wife has the same in black. We also picked up a pair of lifeproof cases as well :banger

Digs 08-07-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1695445)
It takes great pics and has Siri, thats the only advantage I see over the 4, comparing my 4 to my wifes 4S.

My 4 has siri, why dont we just jail break it and you will have it :sh