Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

Starscream 07-20-2009 10:48 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waynegro1 (Post 473296)

I figure it's time to see how much truth was being told at the kitchen table. :D

;s Ma and Pop. ;)

There are many different truths in history. Depends on whose doing the telling and what point of view they come from. Truth is all in perspective.

Starscream 07-21-2009 09:37 PM

Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark R. Levin.

drob 07-21-2009 09:52 PM

The Legend of Bagger Vance, by Steven Pressfield. On deck, Eric Van Lustbader's The Bourne Deception.

GHC_Hambone 07-21-2009 11:00 PM

Another Grisham, The Pelican Brief. One of the few I havent read yet lol

Fumes 07-23-2009 09:40 PM

The City and the City by China Mieville. Really strange premise, but an interesting read.

cricky101 07-24-2009 09:19 AM

"Downtown Owl" by Chuck Klosterman

PeteSB75 07-24-2009 09:58 AM

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

MedicCook 07-24-2009 10:01 AM

Just started The Yankee Years.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/co...ook_cover2.jpg

Cigargal 07-24-2009 10:06 AM

A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill. I picked up a few Dennis Lehane books at Borders yesterday. Never read any of his.

MCM 07-24-2009 02:42 PM

The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve

gettysburgfreak 07-24-2009 06:12 PM

My own book :D Had a few hard copies printed up the other day. Working with a publisher now on getting soft covers printed.

streetglide 07-24-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 478413)
A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill. I picked up a few Dennis Lehane books at Borders yesterday. Never read any of his.

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane is one of my all time fav's. ;)

qwerty1500 07-26-2009 09:03 AM

After reading a history of WWI, it was time for a little fiction. I'm a mystery fan and a very helpful lady at Borders suggested The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson. Not one of my regular authors, never heard of him but what the heck, I was in the mood for something different.

Started it this morning with a pot of coffee and a nice Trini Coloniales. All of the Swedish names and locations was a little unusual. Interesting characters and after 80 pages I'm hooked. I'm eager to see where this thing goes.

Cigargal 07-26-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty1500 (Post 480318)
After reading a history of WWI, it was time for a little fiction. I'm a mystery fan and a very helpful lady at Borders suggested The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larson. Not one of my regular authors, never heard of him but what the heck, I was in the mood for something different.

Started it this morning with a pot of coffee and a nice Trini Coloniales. All of the Swedish names and locations was a little unusual. Interesting characters and after 80 pages I'm hooked. I'm eager to see where this thing goes.

One of the best books I read this year. We are reading it for our Mystery Book club in September. His next book comes out this week. What a shame we only have three from this brilliant writer.

Cigargal 07-26-2009 11:22 AM

Started A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane. I am not usually a fan of 1st person narration so we will see if he pulls it off.

qwerty1500 07-26-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 480447)
One of the best books I read this year.

Same thing the lady at Borders said.

cricky101 07-26-2009 03:42 PM

I'm on a Chuck Klosterman kick lately and started "Killing Yourself to Live" today.

Also got "The Guns of August" by Barbara W. Tuchman but haven't started it yet.

hotreds 07-26-2009 04:00 PM

Church History In Plain Language by Bruce L. Shelley

Starscream 07-26-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 478918)
My own book :D Had a few hard copies printed up the other day. Working with a publisher now on getting soft covers printed.

Awesome!:tu

Cigargal 08-01-2009 07:24 PM

A Drink Before the War was an excellent book for a first book in series. even better was the second Kenzie Gennaro book, Darkness Take My Hand. It was a great book. I can't wait to start the third book Sacred. First I have a library book to read. The State of Jones by Jenkins and Stauffer. A true account of a Mississippi man who was a Union sympathizer in the Civil War and his county that did not secede from the Union but formed its own state. Of course, the Confederacy disagreed with him.