Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ask The Rabbi!! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15657)

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:09 AM

Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

Rapid fire!! I like it!! I'm going to shluf (sleep)... but keep 'em coming and I'll get them.

BillyCigars 05-18-2009 01:46 AM

Great thread idea!!

This question always perplexed me and now I have a way to "Ask The Rabbi"!

If God's name isn't "God", then why do Jews often (in writing) censor the word and keep it at "G-d"? I understand that it comes from not uttering His name but always wondered why, when after all, it's not His name..:confused:

Thanks in advance! :tu

G G 05-18-2009 05:24 AM

Where is Jimmy Hoffa? J/k. I think this is a great idea.

adampc22 05-18-2009 06:04 AM

What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

goalie204 05-18-2009 07:03 AM

when i was in palm springs california at a street fair, i saw this. I didn't have any questions, but i thought it was cute. Funny to see it here too :p - zai gezunt

http://i44.tinypic.com/34rj05i.jpg

rizzle 05-18-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHagen (Post 386803)
Oy...

If only we would revere G-d, the same way we revere the word of our Jewish mothers... though to discern the two is kinda hard, especially when she puts her foot down. :D

The Torah says a Jew should only marry a Jew. This is for various reasons. Prepetuation of the Jewish people, culture, religion and customs, to have Jewish kids, conduct Jewish home, it's a Mitzvah and G-d said so, okay etc.

This website http://www.jewishanddating.com/, and the book "Why marry Jewish?", by Doron Kornbluth http://www.doronkornbluth.com/ , are the BEST treatment of the topic.

Having a child oneself really does make the issue hit home...

What's a Mitzvah?

Emjaysmash 05-18-2009 08:24 AM

Wow, this response is awesome!! Keep it up everyone!!

Parshooter 05-18-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHagen (Post 386793)

(actually, drinking milk while eating pork is only one trangression - eating the pork. As long as the milk is from a kosher animal, all milk is cool to drink, just not a long with kosher meat.)

So bacon-wrapped scallops is just ONE transgression? Whew, that's a load off my mind :dance:

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCigars (Post 386812)
Great thread idea!!

This question always perplexed me and now I have a way to "Ask The Rabbi"!

If God's name isn't "God", then why do Jews often (in writing) censor the word and keep it at "G-d"? I understand that it comes from not uttering His name but always wondered why, when after all, it's not His name..:confused:

Thanks in advance! :tu

Nice question, one that is frequently asked.

Jewish people refrain from calling G-d by His Name. He is alluded to many times in the Torah by different names, each of which only allude to an attribute of G-d. G-d is indefineable by a name, but when we refer to Him through our capacity of speech it should be with the highest reverence. Especially when referring to Him directly. G-t, is yiddish, and german for G-d. G-d is a derivation from that. When one says G-d, or G-t, they are directly referring to G-d, so even though it is not his name, it is a direct reference.

Most observant Jews refer to G-d as HaShem (hebrew), "The Name" or Aibishster (yiddish) "the Most High", thereby referring to G-d in an indirect way, but implicitly referring to Him. In prayer & reading the Torah only, we refer to G-d by His Holy Name(s)

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggainey (Post 386854)
Where is Jimmy Hoffa? J/k. I think this is a great idea.

Giants Stadium end-zone. Glad you like the thread. Thank MJ.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adampc22 (Post 386865)
What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

I believe that is a 2 part question, which deserves a 2 part answer.

1) I would give you constructive critisicm in a manner in which you can receive it about you singing capabilities.

2) No I wouldn't walk out on you, cause you can only get by with a little help from your friends.

Lending you an ear is very Van Gogh. Thank you for your consideratin in trying NOT to sind out of key.

Any further questions famous musicians have, that you plagiarize as your own questions should be condensed into one post, preferably, and I will get around to them.:D

Hope this helps.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie204 (Post 386893)
when i was in palm springs california at a street fair, i saw this. I didn't have any questions, but i thought it was cute. Funny to see it here too :p - zai gezunt

http://i44.tinypic.com/34rj05i.jpg

Thanks. We're nationwide, baby!! Zai gezunt and all the best!!

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 386928)
What's a Mitzvah?

A Mitzvah is a Commandment from G-d. Jews have 613, non-Jews have 7 (as expounded into 61).

Sometimes used informally to refer to any act of goodness and kindness.

Mitzvah (hebrew) has it's root in the word Tzvazah (hebrew) - meaning connection in Hebrew, so by doing a Mitzvah you are connecting yourself to G-d.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parshooter (Post 387077)
So bacon-wrapped scallops is just ONE transgression? Whew, that's a load off my mind

No. it is 2, or more, (for a Jew, only). The person would be eating 2 types of non-kosher food. please refer to the distinction made above about the eating of non-kosher animals (vs. milk & meat).

Don Francisco 05-18-2009 12:17 PM

Are concubines still permitted?

TomHagen 05-18-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Francisco (Post 387222)
Are concubines still permitted?

In short, no.

To be brief, the Jewish/Torah's definition of a concubine is very different than the way the term is used today.

Don Francisco 05-18-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHagen (Post 387233)
In short, no.

To be brief, the Jewish/Torah's definition of a concubine is very different than the way the term is used today.

Out of shorts?

goalie204 05-18-2009 12:53 PM

What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

TomHagen 05-18-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Francisco (Post 387271)
Out of shorts?

no, I have about 10 Party's left in the Humi.

If you need a more in depth treatment of you question let me know...

nozero 05-18-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie204 (Post 387281)
What does it mean to you, to be a "good jew"? I consider myself a good person, but i'm not sure if i'm a "good jew" because I don't follow Kashrut, I eat things that i'm not "supposed" to, etc. I'm only a 3 day a year Jew sometimes.nI am Jewish, but don't know what the qualifications for a "good jew" are. I've had a bar mitzvah, and went to hebrew school growing up, and took yeshiva track. I also think no matter what the answer is, it could be interpreted subjectively, but i'd like your opinion.

I'll be looking forward to the Rebbe's reply to this one myself. I/we don't keep Kosher and I'm less than a three day a year Jew for many, many years...

Grand concept for a thread Emjay and thanks to you Rebbe for your insightful replies.