Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #5 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54558)

DBall 08-01-2012 06:05 PM

Re: DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #5

smitty81 Cigar #10

I didn't get time to measure up stick #10 but if I were to guess, I'd say it was around 6" long and about a 42 Ga cigar.

There were no large veins in the wrapper and the cigar was rolled extremely tight. There is no sponginess in this cigar at all, in fact on one part of this cigar it's rock hard. This looks like a box pressed cigar.

I lit this baby up and took a draw, got nothing. It took my 2-3 hard draws to get anything out of this cigar. I could taste a mild caramel flavor (starting to see a pattern with these cigars).

I tried to work this cigar a bit to loosen it up but damn this thing was packed tight. I couldn't get it to loosen up so I just had to draw harder.

This was the absolute tightest cigar I have ever had without a doubt. I was wishing I had a draw tool right about now. Although I had to draw harder, the flavor did not get harsh. The flavor profile of this cigar remained the same through out. Just a nice caramel flavor.

After the cigar was about half done, the draw loosened up considerably. It still had a tight draw but it was better than what it was for sure. This cigar really reminds me of the first cigar we had in the BTT which was a Por Larranaga. The Por Larranga was hands down better though.

This cigar had good flavor but if it would have been a cigar I bought myself, I would have probably deemed it un-smokable. I really needed a draw tool to get this one smoking properly. Also, I had a TON of burn problems with this cigar. If I wasn't drawing on it about every minute or so, this thing would go out. This cigar was just a nightmare when it came to the draw and burn. I really had to babysit this one.

I gave it a 6/10.

Dan, I really appreciate the opportunity you gave me to do this. It has really opened my eyes when it comes to picking out flavors and just learning about cigars in general. This was an experience that I otherwise wouldn't of had a chance to try if it wasn't for your generosity. Also, as an added bonus, I got to try some CC's that I probably never would have had a chance to try. I really do appreciate this Dan.

Thank you!

DBall 08-01-2012 06:07 PM

What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...yx/BTT5-10.jpg

1998 Punch Corona

ApexAZ score: 7

smitty81 score: 6

That's a 14 year old CC right there...

Thanks for playing, guys! I'll post more about this probably tomorrow or so. :tu

363 08-01-2012 06:16 PM

Dan thanks for putting this together! It has been awesome to read and follow! Look forward to meeting ya at Doms

CigarNut 08-01-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 363 (Post 1692417)
Dan thanks for putting this together! It has been awesome to read and follow! Look forward to meeting ya at Doms

Yes -- I agree. Very cool and very informative!

44stampede 08-01-2012 07:01 PM

This was great! Thanks to all 3 of you.

Whipper Snapper 08-01-2012 07:04 PM

Thanks guys. This was great.
The box press on those punch coronas is pretty wild.

Bleez 08-01-2012 08:51 PM

...and then there were none :(

Thanks Dan for putting this together. What a great way for those guys to sample some mighty fine sticks and for keeping many of us entertained. Nice presentation, etc. Also a great job by Smitty and Apex on the reviews...

GTCanuk 08-01-2012 10:06 PM

It's been a great read!!!

mase 08-02-2012 04:37 AM

It's been fun to follow these reviews. Thanks for doing this, Dan. Great stuff.

Blak Smyth 08-02-2012 05:44 AM

Dan, I appreciate you putting this together. This is universally enjoyed by newbs (Like myself :r) as well as the seasoned vets here. These are the kind of threads that add value to the boards, not that I don't enjoy some good hopeless banter. Brilliant thread!!!!

Thanks for the reviewers as well, you guys did apply yourselves and you produced some great fair reviews! The question I have is what is your overall opinion on CCs now that you have tried several?

smitty81 08-02-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1692661)
Dan, I appreciate you putting this together. This is universally enjoyed by newbs (Like myself :r) as well as the seasoned vets here. These are the kind of threads that add value to the boards, not that I don't enjoy some good hopeless banter. Brilliant thread!!!!

Thanks for the reviewers as well, you guys did apply yourselves and you produced some great fair reviews! The question I have is what is your overall opinion on CCs now that you have tried several?

While I didn't know exactly what to expect, I was a bit let down. I think I let myself hype them up to much. All I have herd growing up is CC this and CC that, they are the holy grail of cigars..............and so on.

I do like them for what they are and Dan threw in a handful that I enjoyed and even 2 or 3 that I would smoke again if I ever had a chance.

Were the CC's my cup of tea? Not so much. They were good cigars but not really the flavor profile I am enjoying right now.

:2

smitty81 08-02-2012 09:45 AM

I see a few pictures didn't work, want me to post them here?

ApexAZ 08-04-2012 09:41 PM

I like the cc cigars better. When comparing the best NC I've ever had to the best cc, the cc wins hands down.

mk05 08-09-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBall (Post 1653439)
Had one last night... Honestly, I was floored by how good it was in the first half... reminded me of really old RyJ/Punch with that sweet fruitiness and notes of chocolate. The second half was kinda 'meh', but the first half was crazy good.

Same is true with the CC peso cigars such as the Reloba. Second half? Kindling.

Dan, really cool of you to do this for folks. I figured in the beginning that you were sending some Guants and Gerkhas. :D

mk05 08-09-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1694269)
I like the cc cigars better. When comparing the best NC I've ever had to the best cc, the cc wins hands down.

Try some really old AF SG Double Chateau, Graycliff Blue, or Davidoff Super Selection #11. May change your perspective on what a good NC can be.

DBall 08-09-2012 06:19 AM

Good to see ya here, Marc! This was #5 in the series... check out the previous 4... they were pretty fun as well!