Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1754)

mase 01-26-2012 12:36 PM

Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaga (Post 1541332)
Because he doesn't know how to store cigars??? If you try it, I would use a cigar I wouldn't mind dehydrating. I suspect the cigar would dry out rather quickly.

I wasn't planning on trying it. It's kind of strange because he had been using a humidor. He bought a box or two of cigars and started putting them in the vegetable drawer. I wonder where he got this idea or advice.

galaga 01-26-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mase (Post 1541339)
I wasn't planning on trying it. It's kind of strange because he had been using a humidor. He bought a box or two of cigars and started putting them in the vegetable drawer. I wonder where he got this idea or advice.

If he was trying to kill beetles, he would have to freeze the cigars. There are threads on the board with advice for freezing.

mase 01-26-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaga (Post 1541365)
If he was trying to kill beetles, he would have to freeze the cigars. There are threads on the board with advice for freezing.

Quite frankly, I don't think that was his aim. Someone must have convinced him that this was better than a humidor. Sadly, it was probably someone at his local B&M.

Eros 01-26-2012 07:03 PM

My seasoning is going fairly well. The humidity is dropping steadily from the 84 it was at about 1:00. But I think I have a bad seal. Did the dollar bill/paper test and what not. Are there any good remedies? Sorry if there is a thread on this already. I'm new to discussion boards:/

icehog3 01-26-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1541694)
My seasoning is going fairly well. The humidity is dropping steadily from the 84 it was at about 1:00. But I think I have a bad seal. Did the dollar bill/paper test and what not. Are there any good remedies? Sorry if there is a thread on this already. I'm new to discussion boards:/

Silicone. :)

I just typed "Seal" in the search box, "thread titles only", and saw a half dozen threads that can help you.

Eros 01-26-2012 07:48 PM

Lastly, I hope, about how long does it take for low humidity to ruin cigars? If I place my cigars in the humidor, with 65 rh beads, and it drops to like 62 or even 60, roughly how long do I have to fix the humidity before all hell breaks loose?

Newbie_nick 01-26-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1541742)
Lastly, I hope, about how long does it take for low humidity to ruin cigars? If I place my cigars in the humidor, with 65 rh beads, and it drops to like 62 or even 60, roughly how long do I have to fix the humidity before all hell breaks loose?

Actually, some folks prefer their sticks at 60 Rh! Its a personal preference thing....

As far as damaging cigars from low humidity, I don't think that they can get hurt. If you discover that your humidity is too low, recharge your humidifier and let the sticks "soak" for several days to a couple of weeks to stabilize. They will be fine...

NCRadioMan 01-26-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1541742)

Take a breath, bro. You are worrying way too much! Cigars are much more resilient and tougher than you obviously think. 60% will not adversely affect your cigars if you kept them there permanently, as I do. I know some that keep their cigars as low as 55% and they are fine.

So, sit back, relax and have a cigar. :tu

Eros 01-28-2012 11:14 AM

I just added the rest of my cigars to my humidor which obviously caused to rh to drop. It was sitting steady around 64 with my 65 rh beads. It is now down to 56. I know that's not awful but I'd like to get it back up to the 63-65 range. So I added one of those humicare pillows to act as a catalyst along with the beads. Once it reaches the lower 60's I plan on taking to pillow out. Good idea? Bad idea?

pnoon 01-28-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1543193)
I just added the rest of my cigars to my humidor which obviously caused to rh to drop. It was sitting steady around 64 with my 65 rh beads. It is now down to 56. I know that's not awful but I'd like to get it back up to the 63-65 range. So I added one of those humicare pillows to act as a catalyst along with the beads. Once it reaches the lower 60's I plan on taking to pillow out. Good idea? Bad idea?

It's neither.
I would just leave the beads in there and let them do their job. It takes time. This hobby requires patience. Cigars are resilient. Many of us have cigars shipped from overseas with no humidification for days and sometimes weeks. Cigars at 56 RH and rising will be just fine.

Patience, Grasshopper.

:2

Eros 01-28-2012 11:48 AM

I don't know why i'm so anxious about it. My friend told me that cigars would dry out in like 1 day if the humidity dropped below the ideal 70%. So of course I believed him.

JDee 01-28-2012 11:50 AM

Is the humidor at Sam's club for $60 a good deal? It looks nice, but this would be my first humidor. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

chippewastud79 01-28-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDee (Post 1543207)
Is the humidor at Sam's club for $60 a good deal? It looks nice, but this would be my first humidor. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Probably not. Do you have a link or picture? :hm

Try an online vendor with a good reputation, you may find better deals that may even include some cigars. :2

pnoon 01-28-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1543206)
I don't know why i'm so anxious about it. My friend told me that cigars would dry out in like 1 day if the humidity dropped below the ideal 70%. So of course I believed him.

You're friend is full of baloney.
Cigars will not dry out in a day.
While some folks prefer 70% RH, many also prefer mid and even low 60s.
70% as the "ideal" RH is bogus.

JDee 01-28-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1543209)
Probably not. Do you have a link or picture? :hm

Try an online vendor with a good reputation, you may find better deals that may even include some cigars. :2

I don't have a picture. It has a glass top, and a hygrometer you can view from the outside, spanish cedar. It looks nice, but obviously looks are not the primary factor. Can you recommend some sites I should look at, or some features that I should make sure a humidor has? Thank you,

bobarian 01-28-2012 12:10 PM

We have stickies on just about any subject someone starting in this hobbie could imagine. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
I would also advise against a glasstop humidor when starting out. They look nice but are prone to leaking and can be difficult to set up. :2

JDee 01-28-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1543221)
We have stickies on just about any subject someone starting in this hobbie could imagine. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621
I would also advise against a glasstop humidor when starting out. They look nice but are prone to leaking and can be difficult to set up. :2

Thank you, very helpful!

Minus_Blindfold 01-28-2012 05:51 PM

How low is too low as far as humidity goes? Cuz I have 20 decent cigars in my humidor and its running at about 61% Will they be ok? Or should I consider another option? I always hear the 70/70 rule so, I'm pretty far from that!

Trent0341 01-28-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minus_Blindfold (Post 1543437)
How low is too low as far as humidity goes? Cuz I have 20 decent cigars in my humidor and its running at about 61% Will they be ok? Or should I consider another option? I always hear the 70/70 rule so, I'm pretty far from that!

Some people actually store them around 60%. I keep mine at 65% and others will tell you the "70/70" rule". Bottom line is keep them at what works best for you. Personally I'd like to keep them above 60% but thats not for everyone.

Edited to add: If you read the page just prior to this one you'll see a similar question and much the same response.

icehog3 01-28-2012 06:40 PM

As Dan said, it comes down to personal preference. I store mine around 62% and they smoke wonderfully.

nayslayer 01-28-2012 08:59 PM

ditto, 65 to 60

irratebass 02-07-2012 02:29 PM

I have a question about Xikar cutters, What is the difference between Xi-X3 cutters besides the price? I am thinking about getting my 1st bigboy cutter and I really like the Xi3 Multicolor one, but I am going by looks alone and not by performance, so what are the differences?

Blak Smyth 02-07-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1552258)
I have a question about Xikar cutters, What is the difference between Xi-X3 cutters besides the price? I am thinking about getting my 1st bigboy cutter and I really like the Xi3 Multicolor one, but I am going by looks alone and not by performance, so what are the differences?

I believe I read it was the components used. The newer models have better steel, spring, etc...

irratebass 02-07-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1552265)
I believe I read it was the components used. The newer models have better steel, spring, etc...

That makes the best sense...thanks bro :tu

Bill86 02-07-2012 03:02 PM

IIRC

Xi1 is aluminum, Xi2 is fiberglass, Xi3 is Titanium.

smitty81 02-12-2012 02:24 PM

When is my humidor ready to hold cigars?

Its been seasoning for about 4 days or so and the RH is at 65 according to the hygrometer.

Can I throw my beads in and cigars and call it good?

cort 02-12-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1557098)
When is my humidor ready to hold cigars?

Its been seasoning for about 4 days or so and the RH is at 65 according to the hygrometer.

Can I throw my beads in and cigars and call it good?

I would:tu

theonlybear4CORT 02-12-2012 04:35 PM

I agree with my hubby cort, load that sucker up.

Pseudosacred 02-14-2012 08:50 PM

The temperature in my humi hovers around 67 - 72 degrees. Those little fluctuations won't affect my sticks badly, right? The humidity stays at a constant 68

pnoon 02-14-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudosacred (Post 1560366)
The temperature in my humi hovers around 67 - 72 degrees. Those little fluctuations won't affect my sticks badly, right? The humidity stays at a constant 68

If your temp stays between 67 and 72 degrees, you are very fortunate. Can't get much more ideal temps than that.

Pseudosacred 02-14-2012 08:57 PM

Alright, that's good to hear. So, what is too extreme of a temperature for cigars?

Also, thanks for your quick response!

kydsid 02-15-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudosacred (Post 1560372)
Alright, that's good to hear. So, what is too extreme of a temperature for cigars?

Also, thanks for your quick response!

There is no real too extreme in temperature for cigars. You'll find a sticky here about freezing cigars, you'll find many posts including a stickied thread on how to do so safely here. Even 100+ degree heat isn't bad in and of itself.

Wild fluctuations are another issue. Take a cigar from a house at 80 deg outside to -40 and you will probably have an issue.

The biggest concern with temperature usually revolves around the hatching of the tobacco beetle. This pest is common and invasive in all the worlds tobacco crops. All producers use pest management to reduce its prescence in a finished product. But there is no way to be 100% rid of this pest. The tobacco beetle egg, which is usually what is present in a finished cigar, as the beetle lays its eggs on the leaf, hatches between 75 and 90 degrees.

Most evidence suggests that temperatures below 75 degrees will supress the hatching. Freezing for a sufficient time will kill most live eggs, again no pest control strategy is 100% effective, and this is why there is interest in doing so with cigars. A tobacco beetle outbreak in a box of cigars can render the entire box or more into useless dust given enough time.

So in essence the real concern with temperature is about storage not in usage or temporary conditions. Cigars all in all are tough things.

Fredo456 02-17-2012 03:23 PM

I haven't browsed through all this thread yet, so this may have been covered.

The only cigars available locally are those in plastic tubes (Cristales, Romeo y Julieta and Bances, from what I could gather from a phone call). They aren't kept in a humidor, so can they still be any good?

What should I look for when I go to the store?

Thanks.

Remo 02-17-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo456 (Post 1563200)
I haven't browsed through all this thread yet, so this may have been covered.

The only cigars available locally are those in plastic tubes (Cristales, Romeo y Julieta and Bances, from what I could gather from a phone call). They aren't kept in a humidor, so can they still be any good?

What should I look for when I go to the store?

Thanks.

If they are not in a humidor, do not buy :tu Tubos are fine but they need to be humidified, try and locate a shop that has some sort of walk-in humidor or cabinet humidor.

Fredo456 02-17-2012 04:30 PM

Since they are the only ones locally available, is it possible to "save" them from their dryness, by gradually humidifying them?

The alternative is the Internet, and since I can't import from other countries or even other provinces, the choice is scarce.

pnoon 02-17-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo456 (Post 1563239)
Since they are the only ones locally available, is it possible to "save" them from their dryness, by gradually humidifying them?

The alternative is the Internet, and since I can't import from other countries or even other provinces, the choice is scarce.

:confused:

Why is that? I've never heard of such limitations. Except, of course, the US mmbargo on Cuba.

dwoodward 02-17-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo456 (Post 1563239)

We have many many Canadian members here that will tell you otherwise. I don't know where you heard such nonsense, completely untrue. ;)

pnoon 02-17-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 1563257)
We have many many Canadian members here that will tell you otherwise. I don't know where you heard such nonsense, completely untrue. ;)

Think before you post, Grasshopper.

It could be that he has special circumstances. Such as part of a US Embassy or maybe being below a legal age. So before jumping to conclusions and making unsubstantiated claims, ask the questions. Such as "Why is that?". He may have an explanation that is not "such nonsense, completely untrue"

:2

Fredo456 02-17-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoodward (Post 1563257)

OK, perhaps I just jumped to conclusions too fast about importing from other countries, and that after paying the taxes, I can do so.

However, an Internet site (I couldn't remember which, because i surfed a lot of them in the last days) stipulated that it was illegal for them to ship to other provinces.

I guess my new question would be: How much taxes do Quebeckers have to pay when importing cigars from abroad?

smitty81 02-18-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo456 (Post 1563468)
OK, perhaps I just jumped to conclusions too fast about importing from other countries, and that after paying the taxes, I can do so.

However, an Internet site (I couldn't remember which, because i surfed a lot of them in the last days) stipulated that it was illegal for them to ship to other provinces.

I guess my new question would be: How much taxes do Quebeckers have to pay when importing cigars from abroad?

I think you over thought the above underlined phrase. Every country has different laws.

Fredo456 02-18-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty81 (Post 1563807)
I think you over thought the above underlined phrase. Every country has different laws.

It was two provinces within Canada.

Two Internet companies, well regarded on this site (I'm not sure if I can name names) do not ship outside the US. I have not visited all the others (obviously), but I'd like to hear fom Canadian members, as to where they can order from, and how much taxes they have to pay upon reception of the cigars.

Thanks.

Eros 02-21-2012 08:53 PM

So after trying to slow season my humidor for the last three weeks, I have nothing to show for it. As soon as I take the shot glass out, the humidity plummets within days. I am assuming I have a leak, as it is a glass top humidor. I am getting impatient, and my cigars have been sitting in a tupperware box with a humi pillow thing for a couple of weeks now. Could I just place the cigars in the humi with the water filled shot glass to stabilize the humidity until I can afford a new humidor? Or would that be unwise?

Emjaysmash 02-21-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1567526)
So after trying to slow season my humidor for the last three weeks, I have nothing to show for it. As soon as I take the shot glass out, the humidity plummets within days. I am assuming I have a leak, as it is a glass top humidor. I am getting impatient, and my cigars have been sitting in a tupperware box with a humi pillow thing for a couple of weeks now. Could I just place the cigars in the humi with the water filled shot glass to stabilize the humidity until I can afford a new humidor? Or would that be unwise?

I would spend less money and buy the clear silicon sealant they use for aquariums and plug the leak.

CigarNut 02-21-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros (Post 1567526)

Your cigars will be fine in the tupperware box -- especially since your humi is not holding a steady RH. If you place your cigars in the humidor now they will either get over humidified from the shot glass of water or, if you take the shot glass out then the cigars will dry out.

Fix your humidor and then put your cigars in it. Get get some aquarium grade for silicone sealant; seal around the glass and any other obvious areas (e.g., if there is a hole for a hygrometer, then seal around the hole).

Once you have resolved all of the leaks then your humidor will be able to do the job you need it to do. In the interim, the tupperware box is the best place for your cigars.

One thing you need to remember about this hobby: you need to be patient.

Fredo456 02-25-2012 08:51 AM

I keep reading about hygrometers having to be recalibrated. Some recommend to recalibrate after a sudden change in Rh.
Isn't the point of this tool to accurately indicate the rh of a given space? How accurate is it really, if one can't trust it and has to recalibrate it so often?

Thanks.

Emjaysmash 02-25-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo456 (Post 1571675)
I keep reading about hygrometers having to be recalibrated. Some recommend to recalibrate after a sudden change in Rh.
Isn't the point of this tool to accurately indicate the rh of a given space? How accurate is it really, if one can't trust it and has to recalibrate it so often?

Thanks.

I've only salt tested (calibrated) my once. Although half the time now I don't look at it. I've gotten used to looking and feeling the cigars to make sure they arent too dry or wet.

icehog3 02-25-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Sometimes things break, need new batteries, etc....I don't see where in the recommendation it implies that the need to recalibrate happens "often".

If your Rh was reading 65% steadily for a year, and suddenly was at 53%, it is wise to recalibrate your hygrometer to see if it is just "off", or if you do in fact have a much bigger problem with your humidor.

CigarNut 02-25-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Like all things that run on batteries they wear out. Also, most digital hygrometers rely on the battery charge to maintain their calibration. As the batteries wear the calibration changes a little.

Also, it's not like it is a huge problem to check your hygrometer a few times a year.

jluck 02-25-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I think you hear about it much more than needed, due to it's the first thing recommended when there is RH problems in a humidor, When the problem usually ends up being a seasoning (inpatients/owner) or leak issue. but its how a good RH base line is established. And the best tool we have that I'm aware of.

:tu

Malazan 02-27-2012 08:34 PM

I'm seasoning my new humidor I got Friday. The RH has stayed at 86% for 3 days now. How much longer should I wait, and is 86% ok for the seasoning process