Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What's in your smoker? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21946)

Chainsaw13 08-06-2022 01:41 PM

Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgePuffer (Post 2237017)
The better question is what isn’t in my smoker

What time is dinner? :D

Sweet smoker. What kind/size?

BlueRidgePuffer 08-06-2022 02:38 PM

I have a slingin steel. Ultimate game day. 48” chargrill, with a 48” barrel with 3 racks. I can do 150 racks of ribs at one time in the main chamber. Then I have a warming box over the fire box that I can convert into another smoker with dampers. I can do an additional 50 racks in the warming box. When I get off work I’ll see if I can post a pic of the front view of the smoker. I also have a triple sink in the back with a propane fed water heater

BlueRidgePuffer 08-06-2022 08:15 PM

I apparently I’m dumb. What’s the best way to upload a photo from your phone? Every time I try it says upload faild. I’m so confuzzled

AdamJoshua 08-08-2022 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgePuffer (Post 2237031)
I apparently I’m dumb. What’s the best way to upload a photo from your phone? Every time I try it says upload faild. I’m so confuzzled

You can go to an image hosting site like Imgur.com upload there and then use the link here. You can insert the pic (make sure that aren’t huge like 800x600 is ok) or just post the link as a link. :llp

BlueRidgePuffer 08-08-2022 02:09 PM

https://ibb.co/TWs8M87

Here she is

Porch Dweller 08-08-2022 03:00 PM

I'm not seeing a photo.

Chainsaw13 08-13-2022 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a small brisket (5.5lbs trimmed). 4hrs@225 high smoke, 3.5hrs@275 to an internal temp of 202, rested about 1.5hrs till internal temp got down to 170, then into 155 oven to rest for 4 hours. Tender, juicy, super tasty. The pic doesn’t do it justice as to how juicy it was.

kydsid 08-24-2022 06:12 AM

It's a Facebook video but on topic. And as an egg owner I'm almost hurt, lol

https://www.facebook.com/reel/826892...?s=yWDuG2&fs=e

Chainsaw13 08-31-2022 06:22 PM

Reverse seared a 2” thick ribeye on the pellet smoker/gas grill. About 1.5 hours on the pellet smoker on high smoke to an internal temp of ~115? Finished on the ripping hot gas grill. Wow! Love this method. First time trying it. Will be doing again. First I’ll have to clean the gas grill. Had a massive grease fire. Lol. :D

Porch Dweller 08-31-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2237855)
Reverse seared a 2” thick ribeye on the pellet smoker/gas grill. About 1.5 hours on the pellet smoker on high smoke to an internal temp of ~115? Finished on the ripping hot gas grill. Wow! Love this method. First time trying it. Will be doing again. First I’ll have to clean the gas grill. Had a massive grease fire. Lol. :D

I've been doing that method with really thick steaks and rib roasts for a couple of years now, and yep, it's fantastic. I smoke to IT 118F, let it rest for an hour tented in foil, then blast it on a screaming hot grill for about a minute to a minute and a half a side.

I've also done it in the oven when the weather was severely uncooperative. 225F oven until internal temp of 118F, rest, then crank the oven to its highest setting and finish for about five minutes or until the outside is as desired.

T.G 08-31-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2237855)
Had a massive grease fire.

fat = flavor.

I'm fvcking delicious.

Chainsaw13 08-31-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2237857)
fat = flavor.

I'm fvcking delicious.

You and me both.

The fire got going pretty good. Had to move the propane tank away. That could’ve ended bad. Even had to go grab a glass of water to dose the flames.

Brandon 09-01-2022 09:44 AM

I did smoked and reverse seared prime ribeyes this weekend as well. Forget using the grill for steaks. I used the side burner on the grill to sear the steaks in a cast iron pan with beef tallow. Conductive cooking is essential to get the flavorful crust from the Maillard reaction. I use the grill to keep the steak warm

MarkinAZ 09-13-2022 06:35 PM

Tri-tip tonight along with garlic mashed potatoes and a salad :dr

https://mosvirginiashack.com/uploads...5d668ad43.jpeg

bonjing 09-13-2022 07:18 PM

Looks delicious, stranger ;)

MarkinAZ 09-15-2022 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjing (Post 2238274)
Looks delicious, stranger ;)

Thanks. It was... Good to see you!

Chainsaw13 10-05-2022 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beef chuck roasts were on sale today. Plus I had a coupon for more off. Grabbed a couple thick pork chops too. Broke out the grinder/stuffer, then the pellet smoker.

Cheesy beef/pork smoked sausages. Has some sweet bonnet peppers in it. They look like scotch bonnets, but no where near the heat. Thought it needed more after eating some of the finished sausage, but the tongue is tingling.

Porch Dweller 10-05-2022 06:39 PM

Damn, that's some tasty-looking sausage!

Chainsaw13 10-05-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2239146)
Damn, that's some tasty-looking sausage!

That’s what she said! :D

Porch Dweller 10-06-2022 04:41 AM

:r :r :r

Chainsaw13 04-03-2023 11:35 AM

Cleaned out the pellet smoker. Threw on a slab of St Louis cut ribs, dusted with a Texas pecan rub. Will foil wrap once I get the color I want, with some butter and a peach glaze concoction I whipped up. Half a jar of peach preserves, some ACV, hot chili flakes, a little water to thin it out. I’ll unwrap for the last 15 minutes to let the glaze set.

Got the idea from meat church bbq. He uses Texas rib candy glaze. Sounds delicious, but I’m not spending $12/bottle for it.

Porch Dweller 04-03-2023 01:36 PM

I'm hungry and did not need to read that. :)

Chainsaw13 04-03-2023 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2244248)
I'm hungry and did not need to read that. :)

They turned out to ok. I’m glad I didn’t cook them as long as the video I watched. They were just over cooked, not quite falling off the bone, but a bit more tender than I like. The peach glaze barely comes thru. Good basis to start with. I have another rack in the freezer to work out the kinks.

jonumberone 04-04-2023 05:05 AM

Too much water, Bob?
Maybe try peach juice or nectar next time to thin it out instead of water?
Just brainstorming...

And you know you're supposed to post pics, right? :D

Chainsaw13 04-04-2023 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonumberone (Post 2244261)
Too much water, Bob?
Maybe try peach juice or nectar next time to thin it out instead of water?
Just brainstorming...

And you know you're supposed to post pics, right? :D

I think I did use too much of the peach glaze. And I rewatched the video I based the cook from, and he did 2.5 hours smoke to set the color, then about 2 hours wrapped @275. I did the same, but thought it was supposed to be 3 hours wrapped. I decided to check at the 2 hour mark which was a good thing. Three would’ve been mush.

I’ll take pics next time. This rack wasn’t pic worthy.

icehog3 04-04-2023 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2244240)
Cleaned out the pellet smoker. Threw on a slab of St Louis cut ribs, dusted with a Texas pecan rub. Will foil wrap once I get the color I want, with some butter and a peach glaze concoction I whipped up. Half a jar of peach preserves, some ACV, hot chili flakes, a little water to thin it out. I’ll unwrap for the last 15 minutes to let the glaze set.

Got the idea from meat church bbq. He uses Texas rib candy glaze. Sounds delicious, but I’m not spending $12/bottle for it.

Sounds outstanding Bob. :dr

357 04-04-2023 10:13 AM

Got a pair of pork butts thawing now. Going to use my landlord's propane smoker since my charcoal UDS is still in storage in Michigan.

Not sure if today or tomorrow. I'll try to post pics.

Chainsaw13 04-04-2023 02:44 PM

Reheated some of the ribs from last night. Took the glaze and reduced it heavily. Put some of that on to start, then some bbq sauce a little while later and let it tack up. Much better.

kydsid 05-14-2023 01:45 PM

I married a carnivore so some ribs for her today , how bout the rest of you?

Porch Dweller 05-14-2023 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 2245741)
I married a carnivore so some ribs for her today , how bout the rest of you?

Jersey Mike's. :D

Wednesday I'll be smoking a small chuck roast that'll get chopped up for chili. I plan on rubbing it with cumin, cayenne, ground coriander, SPGP, and homemade chili powder.

kydsid 07-03-2023 05:32 PM

Got the smoker ready and rolling. Let the 4th of July BBQ commence

Chainsaw13 12-05-2023 06:10 AM

Watched a video recently for a butterflied pulled pork butt. Increases the amount of seasoning and bark. Going to try it this Friday.

T.G 12-06-2023 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2251292)
Watched a video recently for a butterflied pulled pork butt. Increases the amount of seasoning and bark. Going to try it this Friday.

I do something similar all the time. I cut the butt into 2-3" chunks. You do have to watch for it drying out more quickly (unsurprisingly), but other than that it works well.

Chainsaw13 12-06-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2251314)
I do something similar all the time. I cut the butt into 2-3" chunks. You do have to watch for it drying out more quickly (unsurprisingly), but other than that it works well.

The vid I watched, Hey Grill Hey, she thought the same might happen with the butterfly. But it came out still nice and moist. She did foil wrap for the last couple hours.

T.G 12-06-2023 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2251321)
The vid I watched, Hey Grill Hey, she thought the same might happen with the butterfly. But it came out still nice and moist. She did foil wrap for the last couple hours.

I just watched one of her videos, it fits your decription. Looks good.

I think the difference here is that she was butterflying and I'm cutting into big cubes/chunks with more surface area per weigh. That alone could do it. My cook temps vary, if I'm in a rusn, they could go 325-365. Hers was more textbook at 275. I foil too, but less scientific on the temp & time.

Like to hear how it turns out for you.

Chainsaw13 12-08-2023 02:54 PM

Just pulled off the smoker. Smells amazing! Didn’t get as dark of bark as I expected, but could be due to many factors (ambient temp, pellet smoker, pellets used). Letting it rest and cool down before pulling. Took about 6-7 hours. Ran at 225° for ~5 hours, high smoke. Then foiled once it pushed thru the stall, increased temp to 275°. Glazed at 198° IT, for another 20 minutes to tack up.

https://i.imgur.com/JhurT4Zl.jpg

Porch Dweller 12-08-2023 04:01 PM

Looks damned good!

Chainsaw13 12-08-2023 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2251404)
Looks damned good!

Thanks. Probably the best pulled pork I’ve made. Definitely in recent memory. The glaze almost gives it a cherry taste, not maple/bourbon.

T.G 12-08-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2251406)
The glaze almost gives it a cherry taste, not maple/bourbon.

Interesting. I don't work with glazes much, and I typically serve dry with wet on the side but going to have to try that.

BTW, do you remember how long ago it was you posted the W00t sale for the Champ Chef pellet grills that we both bought?

Black Coral 12-08-2023 08:29 PM

Two pork belly in smoker. Doing pork belly burnt ends for coffee and cigars at the shop tomorrow

Have my own rub on them for the smoke then I will cut and add land o lakes butter and blues hog on one and blues hog champion and Kerry gold butter on the other

Going to see the difference

One of the other guys at the shop is bringing tortillas and the rest of the items to make burritos if they don’t just want the burnt ends.

Finishing breakfast off with chocolate cupcakes

Happy holiday breakfast

Chainsaw13 12-09-2023 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2251408)
Interesting. I don't work with glazes much, and I typically serve dry with wet on the side but going to have to try that.

BTW, do you remember how long ago it was you posted the W00t sale for the Champ Chef pellet grills that we both bought?

I forgot you bought one too. May 4th, 2015. Had to look it up in my history. Still going strong. Is yours still working?

T.G 12-09-2023 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2251414)
I forgot you bought one too. May 4th, 2015. Had to look it up in my history. Still going strong. Is yours still working?

8-1/2 years... time flies.

Mine is still running, on its second controller. I wore out the first one. Lol. Curreny moving it to ready reserve though. I liked the features on the new-ish Gen 2 units with the programmable controller, ash cleanout & sliding flame diffuser baffle, etc. Found the "slide & grill" 24 at Dicks sporting goods on sale for $415 (reg $699) so I grabbed a new one

Chainsaw13 12-09-2023 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2251431)
8-1/2 years... time flies.

Mine is still running, on its second controller. I wore out the first one. Lol. Curreny moving it to ready reserve though. I liked the features on the new-ish Gen 2 units with the programmable controller, ash cleanout & sliding flame diffuser baffle, etc. Found the "slide & grill" 24 at Dicks sporting goods on sale for $415 (reg $699) so I grabbed a new one

I haven’t used mine enough to wear out the controller. 6-8 cooks a year. I almost replaced it with a Yoder YS640 a few years back. But decided to quit my job instead. Lol! Those Gen 2 units are nice, sounds like you snagged a good one. Tried talking my friend into one, but he’s always motivated by price first. I think he bought a Nexrill smoker.

T.G 12-10-2023 09:28 PM

I run mine a lot. Besides 2-3 bbq cooks a week i basically run it in place of my kitchen oven. Pellets are way cheaper than electricity where I live. The controller electronics are still fine, I just wore most of the detents out of the dial selector. So it would fall after you set it. Most of the time ot would end up between temps and not run and cause a burn back through the auger tube.

My brother has a Yoder. They are nice.

Chainsaw13 12-13-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2251473)
I run mine a lot. Besides 2-3 bbq cooks a week i basically run it in place of my kitchen oven. Pellets are way cheaper than electricity where I live. The controller electronics are still fine, I just wore most of the detents out of the dial selector. So it would fall after you set it. Most of the time ot would end up between temps and not run and cause a burn back through the auger tube.

My brother has a Yoder. They are nice.

Dang, 2-3 times a week. Nice. Did you do any mods to your smoker? Looking to get more smoke flavor if possible. I know you can always do a smoke tube, but wondering if something like a gasket on the lid would be worth it.

Steve 03-17-2024 12:05 PM

Smoking a chuck roast for Pulled Beef Sammies...