PDA

View Full Version : On my deathbed??

WhoDeySchenk
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
At least that's how I've been feeling. I'm sick for the third time in 2 months. Finally decided to go to the Dr. Bronchitis....Prescribed me a 750mg antibiotic...took pill around 3:00...after a few hours I started feeling a bit weird. By 9:00 %*^$ hit the fan! I started getting disoriented, cold sweats, my hands and feet went completely numb. Obviously an allergic reaction to the meds. Called the emergency # for my Dr. No one called back, good thing that worked. Remembered my Uncle is a Pharmacist, I got a hold of him....he hates the medicine they put me on, has a lot of problems w/ it. He told me to drink lots of water and flush it out. By around 2:00am this morning I woke up covered in sweat, the sheets were soaked...that makes falling back asleep fun. Then after drinking so much water I proceeded piss every hour or so till my wife woke up at 5:00. I got up started getting ready for work, wife calls and MAKES me stay home. She's so smart! So today I've been lounging, got some new meds, sucks because now I've had to pay for both prescriptions, BLAH. Then the wife comes home, (we're watching her parents dog) a wild one he is, she opens the door to let our dogs out, BOOM, he bolts out the door. GONE! He's the fastest dog I've seen in my life. Now it's in the teens here in Cincy, snow all over the ground, and a dog that has no idea where he is running all over god knows where. I put on my coat (meanwhile still sick as hell) and begin on a journey. After about 20 minutes I see him a block or so away, just when I think I've cornered him....runs right by me. He's 2 block running down the middle of the street in rush hour traffic. My wife passed me in the car looking for him....after walking for 45 minutes I give up, and am hacking up a lung. About 15 minutes later she comes home.....DOG IN CAR. Seems she saw him, got out ran after him for a while, lost him. Got back in the car drove around, saw him again....he ran right up to the car, she opens the door and he jumps right in. I NEED A DRINK AND A CIGAR....no go with antibiotics and bronchitis. :bh:c

Starscream
02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
At least that's how I've been feeling. I'm sick for the third time in 2 months. Finally decided to go to the Dr. Bronchitis....Prescribed me a 750mg antibiotic...took pill around 3:00...after a few hours I started feeling a bit weird. By 9:00 %*^$ hit the fan! I started getting disoriented, cold sweats, my hands and feet went completely numb. Obviously an allergic reaction to the meds. Called the emergency # for my Dr. No one called back, good thing that worked. Remembered my Uncle is a Pharmacist, I got a hold of him....he hates the medicine they put me on, has a lot of problems w/ it. He told me to drink lots of water and flush it out. By around 2:00am this morning I woke up covered in sweat, the sheets were soaked...that makes falling back asleep fun. Then after drinking so much water I proceeded piss every hour or so till my wife woke up at 5:00. I got up started getting ready for work, wife calls and MAKES me stay home. She's so smart! So today I've been lounging, got some new meds, sucks because now I've had to pay for both prescriptions, BLAH. Then the wife comes home, (we're watching her parents dog) a wild one he is, she opens the door to let our dogs out, BOOM, he bolts out the door. GONE! He's the fastest dog I've seen in my life. Now it's in the teens here in Cincy, snow all over the ground, and a dog that has no idea where he is running all over god knows where. I put on my coat (meanwhile still sick as hell) and begin on a journey. After about 20 minutes I see him a block or so away, just when I think I've cornered him....runs right by me. He's 2 block running down the middle of the street in rush hour traffic. My wife passed me in the car looking for him....after walking for 45 minutes I give up, and am hacking up a lung. About 15 minutes later she comes home.....DOG IN CAR. Seems she saw him, got out ran after him for a while, lost him. Got back in the car drove around, saw him again....he ran right up to the car, she opens the door and he jumps right in. I NEED A DRINK AND A CIGAR....no go with antibiotics and bronchitis. :bh:c
I love dogs, but I believe I would have let him go. Hope you get to felling better soon and can enjoy a drink and a cigar.

white_s2k
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Hope you feel better!!!

Just curious, did the doctor prescribe Levaquin? The one you were allergic to?

WhoDeySchenk
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Hope you feel better!!!

Just curious, did the doctor prescribe Levaquin? The one you were allergic to?

That's the one. So what have you heard?

karmaz00
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
hope you feel better soon

white_s2k
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
That's the one. So what have you heard?

I work in a pharmacy, so basically the same thing as your uncle. It really is the best antibiotic for bronchitis.. BUT if you are allergic to it the reactions are usually quite severe. Pretty difficult for doctors to know if patients are allergic to it too, because it is so new and there aren't many drugs in the same class. And I bet that copay wasn't cheap huh? ;)

Chompers
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
That sucks man!

Hope you feel better soon so that you can relax with a drink and a gar.

hotreds
02-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Get well soon, bro'! Sounds like you've had one heckuva couple days! Glad you got the pooch- he would not have been a hot dog tonight!

elderboy02
02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Get better soon bud. The weather is going to be in the 40's and 50's for the next week or so. Time to kill some cigars! :)

WhoDeySchenk
02-05-2009, 08:47 PM
THANKS for the best wishes. copay wasn't too bad $35 for 7 days....now 6 get flushed down the toilet. Oh Well.

DrDubzz
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
THANKS for the best wishes. copay wasn't too bad $35 for 7 days....now 6 get flushed down the toilet. Oh Well.

that's a GREAT copay actually, cash price runs around 170 or so (of course, I don't know what you pay for premiums, so maybe it's not :D)

honestly, antibiotic use for bronchitis somewhat controversial anyway, but I'm surprised they didn't try out a Zpak first as it has anti-inflammatory properties as well.

best wishes, hope you get better, that stuff is no fun

Cyclone
02-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Sorry about your woes... but I'm in same boat... flu with alternating hot/cold sweats and now the cold has progressed into my lungs and I'm coughing up chunks...

Tuesday was the worst. It took me about 45 minutes to decide whether it worth the effort getting up to take a piss...

NO desire to have a cigar even though the local Boyz are having a herf tonight :(

MedicCook
02-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Feel better Steve. I personally think a drink and a cigar is exactly what the Medic ordered.

icehog3
02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
I work in a pharmacy, so basically the same thing as your uncle. It really is the best antibiotic for bronchitis.. BUT if you are allergic to it the reactions are usually quite severe. Pretty difficult for doctors to know if patients are allergic to it too, because it is so new and there aren't many drugs in the same class. And I bet that copay wasn't cheap huh? ;)

First off, hope you feel better soon, Steve.

For me, Levaquin is the only antibiotic that will knock out severe bronchitis for me, and I have tried them all. Erythromycin is a placebo, penicillin is a sugar pill and the Zpak are worthless for me. It's too bad Steve had an allergy to the drug, because for me it is the only one that works.

Genetic Defect
02-05-2009, 11:48 PM

For me, Levaquin is the only antibiotic that will knock out severe bronchitis for me, and I have tried them all. Erythromycin is a placebo, penicillin is a sugar pill and the Zpak are worthless for me. It's too bad Steve had an allergy to the drug, because for me it is the only one that works.

this is proof, you aren't human ;)

68TriShield
02-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Guys,since I started taking this immune system balancing supplement,I honestly have not been sick.No chest things,no sinus thing...no nothing.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU368/ItemDetail?n=4294967188

longknocker
02-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Guys,since I started taking this immune system balancing supplement,I honestly have not been sick.No chest things,no sinus thing...no nothing.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU368/ItemDetail?n=4294967188

:tu I agree with you, Dave! I take a shark liver oil supplement 2X/day and am rarely sick, now! Keep those supplements going!:)

Genetic Defect
02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm with Greg and Dave, my supp is Orange Triad though.

DrDubzz
02-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Levaquin is a total BAMF, as long as you're not allergic to it

Gargoyle
02-07-2009, 04:55 AM
I had bronchitis in late Dec through Early January (pretty much through the whole holiday season) and it knocked me on my rear for 2 solid weeks... plus another couple of weeks of slowly getting my strength back. I feel you pain!