PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports Pick Their Best

Mr.Maduro
02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/204/consumer-reports-picks-the-best-cup-o-brew

My parents used to buy this stuff all the time, no they like the Cosco (Kirkland) brand...yuk!

Mister Moo
02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll try a bag O' Columbian this weekend for schnit'z and grins. Before I roasted my own I always thought Eight O'Clock whole bean was the best stuff in the grocery store if not the whole world. I was a red bag fan - never too keen on the Columbian which I found weak-bodied and acidic. Never being able to totally quit my fascination with EOC coffee, I have found, in the past several years, it varies from pretty good to pretty bad. In years past I always thought it was rock steady - not so, IMO, lately.

blogs.consumerreports (http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/02/eight-oclock-coffee-consumer-reports-best-coffee-review.html) adds info about new packaging - not that a new paint job will change the coffee.

"February 04, 2009
A top coffee in our latest report is getting a makeover

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/.a/6a00d83451e0d569e20105370c9006970b-pi

Eight O'Clock Coffee MakeoverEight O'Clock Coffee has been around for 150 years, making it older than long-established brands like Maxwell House (1892) and Chock full o'Nuts (1926) as well as relative newcomer Starbucks (1971).

Despite its age, Eight O'Clock remains a fresh choice. In our test of 13 major brands of ground, caffeinated 100 percent Colombian coffees (available to subscribers), we found that Eight O'Clock Coffee 100% Colombian offered the best combination of taste and price. A complex blend of earthy and fruity notes and a bright, pleasing sourness helped distinguish the Eight O'Clock. And at about $6 per pound, it costs much less than several tonier-but-not-tastier coffees."

Wharf Rat
02-05-2009, 04:38 PM
That stuff ain't bad, for the price. Where I am, the better supermarket bagged coffees are $12 / lb and up. One favorite right now is the locally roasted Kaldis.

Bob

atlharp
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I have been brewing this Hawaiian blend from Sam's that is pretty good. I still like EOC red bag. It is a good rock solid coffee for a decent price. Not the best by far, but a hell of a lot better than Folgers crap.

ATL

smokeyandthebandit05
02-11-2009, 07:48 AM
lol my grandma gave me her coffee maker yesterday cause it was too complicated for her. I had to take her to walmart to get her some medication so I went searching for the coffee section. When I come back with a bag of ground 8 o' clock coffee she was like "you dont want this! Get something out of a can like Folgers of Maxwell House"

Moral of the story is sometimes your elders arent wiser cause the shelves are full of the cans and there were only a few bags of ground 8 o' clock coffee left.

tobii3
02-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Moral of the story is sometimes your elders arent wiser cause the shelves are full of the cans and there were only a few bags of ground 8 o' clock coffee left.

Funny....I don't remember my elders complaining about subprime mortgage rates, credit card debt, bailouts or bankruptcy.....and you say they AREN'T wiser???

We could learn a LOT from our elders

mosesbotbol
02-11-2009, 10:14 AM
My parents have been brewing Eight O'Clock Coffee in their Percolator for 30+ years and no complaints from guests or family.

floydp
02-11-2009, 04:15 PM
With the economy being what it is and working less hours 8 o'clock has become more of a regular in my cup these days. Not great by any means but solid good tasting coffee. 12 ounce bag 4 bux compared to what my wife was spending on hot chocolate with caffeine or more commonly known as Mocha Latte or some such mess from Star(cost to many)Bucks.

688sonarmen
03-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I gave it another go around too. It's ok. I think I may have brewed it a little strong

stitch
04-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Eight O' Clock Red Bag :tu
Been drinking it most all my life, Next best thing to Arbuckles and egg shells.