PDA

View Full Version : Any climbers out there?

kayaker
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone?

Plastic pullers?
Boulderers?
Builderers?
Trad, sport, mixed, aid?
Ice, mountaineering, trees?
Industrial, towers, fences?
Big wall, little wall, multi-pitch, free solo?
Deep water, shallow water, naked?

tobii3
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Top Rope??

Lead Climb??

O.R??

Chicken Leader??

;)

I've got Ballets, Aces and Ninjas........what's that tell you???

markem
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I used to be a 5.12+ climber at bolted areas and a 5.11+ climber alpine. I've done big wall stuff at Squamish north of Vancouver BC. Gave away my free climbing, snow and ice stuff in '96.

Don't climb anymore.

kayaker
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I've got Ballets, Aces and Ninjas........what's that tell you???

Nice.

I've got Razors and Moccasyms.

Mostly pulling plastic these days, but I'm getting a couple of days in on some easy ice.

I've got to get back on some rock this summer and get my leading skills back up to par, and start trying out some multi-pitch routes (I haven't done one yet).

I'm hoping to get on a big wall in the next summer or two. When I'm at it more regularly I'm a solid 5.10. If I cut some weight and push the training a bit I should be able to do some 5.11 work.

mrreindeer
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Ian - I've been trending lower on the slope, not higher... :r:r

lightning9191
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I used to climb top-rope in highschool and undergrad. I did a ton of bouldering. I have been slacking off the past few years, but recently I've felt the need to go back out. I've tracked down a couple places close by to go for some bouldering. I still have my Zens and a couple of pads....just waiting on the weather now.

kayaker
02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Ian - I've been trending lower on the slope, not higher... :r:r

:r

I have been slacking off the past few years, but recently I've felt the need to go back out. I've tracked down a couple places close by to go for some bouldering. I still have my Zens and a couple of pads....just waiting on the weather now.

I worked at our local climbing gym for little while and then hung out a fair bit for a couple of years. We have some great climbing within a 20 min drive, top rope, lead, sport, trad, and bouldering. I've been slack to over the last few years. Part of it is I have to replace my rope and have been shying away from the expense. Now I just have to do it.

kayaker
02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey Tobi,

This pic is for you. This is Blow-Me-Down in Devil Bay on the south coast of Newfoundland.

I can't wait to see it in person.

Edit: The dashed line marks how to traverse across to access all climbs from the camping area. To get here, you get dropped off by a fishing boat. Then you are on your own.:D

ucla695
02-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I've done some climbing at a local climbing gym, but never progressed much further than that. I have some friends that are into it and they're getting ready to try Half Dome in Yosemite.

Blow-Me-Down looks like a beast. :)

tobii3
02-05-2009, 07:38 AM
I was spoiled growing up within 3 hours of Yosemite.....but there ain't no flippin' way I'm starting a pitch OFF A FISHING BOAT!!!!!

:eek:

mrreindeer
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
This pic is for you. This is Blow-Me-Down in Devil Bay on the south coast of Newfoundland.

I can't wait to see it in person.

Edit: The dashed line marks how to traverse across to access all climbs from the camping area. To get here, you get dropped off by a fishing boat. Then you are on your own.:D

Holy hell...that looks brutal. Nice knowin' ya Ian. J/K

kayaker
02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Holy hell...that looks brutal. Nice knowin' ya Ian. J/K

:r:r:r

I give my wife heart burn a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the skin I'm in and my body intact (mostly). I won't be doing anything that is too outside my comfort level, and there will be tons of safety checks.

Besides, the ocean part doesn't scare me, I love it, and the climbing there is steep and crazy in parts, but there is lots that is not so steep and scary.

Steve
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I used to climb in my younger (read that as lighter) days. At 235+ dynos and finger jams get a bit tough!

kayaker
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I used to climb in my younger (read that as lighter) days. At 235+ dynos and finger jams get a bit tough!

I'm just over 240 right now and have been mid 230's for most of my climbing career. It's still doable, but I'm just not looking at any 5.12s (or 5.11s right now, for that matter).

Still, I hear you. I'm trying to cut down 10 or 20 lbs so that I have less risk of pulling my fingers out of their sockets.

Steve
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I managed to lose ~25 lbs last month...but I don't really recommend the method (something about the whole near death experience is just not that desirable!):ss

I'm trying to cut down 10 or 20 lbs so that I have less risk of pulling my fingers out of their sockets.

kayaker
02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I managed to lose ~25 lbs last month...but I don't really recommend the method (something about the whole near death experience is just not that desirable!):ss

Yeah, my brother did that last year. Lost quite a bit on the liquid diet, then gained it back with a vengeance when he got out of the hospital. Now he's wondering if he can get a nurse to put him back on the IV nutrition for a while. :D Nutbag.

Hope all is well with you now.

mrreindeer
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM

Hey Steve - Don't you need your heart? How you get along after they took that 25 lb. sucker outtaya chest?

Totally kidding here - I hope you're feeling better!

kayaker
02-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Got out to Maligne Canyon in Jasper National Park on the long weekend. We had three days on the ice. The first was mostly a scouting mission. The second day we climbed all day at the waterfall in the first picture. This pic was taken from a walking bridge over the canyon by a hiker who e-mailed it (and several more pics) to us.

The second pic shows me nearing the top of the climb. We did a short rap into the canyon just about the top of the waterfall. Then a 25+m (almost 100 feet) rap to the bottom of the climb, and top roped it.

The canyon has 4-5 other nice places to climb and lots of cool features to see as you hike along.

Steve
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Cool! I used to really enjoy Ice climbing.

Great shots!