PDA

View Full Version : What cutter and/or method?

RevSmoke
02-04-2009, 07:46 AM
OK, I have been reading about Palio & Xikar cutters, and to me they haven't been around long enough to have the reputation they have (too bad we don't have a smilely face of an old hag stirring a brewing cauldron) - now my age shows. :) (I have had a Zino cutter since 1992. I see they are still around, and that they still offer a lifetime warranty. )

As I read the wars about which of the two mentioned above is better, it brought on an interesting question. How do you open the cap of your cigars for smoking? It seems that predominantly, we hear the two cutters above mentioned. But, I also hear a few people talking V-cut, a couple do a punch, some use a gullotine, other use a poker (several smaller holes punched into the cap), I even watched a guy use his pocket knife to make a V-cut (done that myself a few times)...

I am more curious about which style people are using and maybe a little bit about why they prefer that method to prepare their cigar. Yeah, we could talk about the inherent strengthes of our prefer trademarked cutter (Palio -vs- Xikar wars), but really, those are all about what you bought and why you like it. That isn't the question I am posing.

What I want to know is, how do you prepare your cigar for smoking? Are there inherent benefits to certain ways to open the cap? Do you use that method every time or only sometimes? Do you use different methods on different cigars? If so, why? What moved you to use the particular method that you use the most often?

Guillotine?
V-cut?
Bullet punch?
Bite off end?
Pierce the end? (watched a guy take a drill bit from his pocket and pierce three holes in the cap and smoke it that way)

I have a $4 V-cutter, but it cuts like it cost - cheaply. I occasionally do a v-cut with my pocket knife, if I have forgotten a cutter, for my pocket knife is always with me. I know there are V-cutters out there, but the only decent ones I have ever seen - which do not tear the snot out of the cap - are tabletop models. Is there a decent one out there for a reasonable price?

I have a cheapie bullet cutter too. That does a decent job, I like it for corona sized cigars. I am thinking of using it more, as it allows more of the cap to stay intact.

I have upon occasion, bitten off the end of a cigar - just to be "macho cool." I know of a woman though, who allows the cigar to rest in her mouth for a bit (she isn't chewing on it), and she can tell when the cap is ready, and she pulls off the first layer with her teeth and cuts it off. Interesting method.

Then there is the 3 hole (or however many you do) piercing. The guy I know who does this, claims the tars and stuff stay in the cigar, not in his mouth. Seems to me the holes would plu up with stuff.

Anyway, what methods do you use.

Oh yeah, so, anybody else out there own a Zino?

Footbag
02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I've got a Zino cutter, of course it is temporarily misplaced. I'm pretty sure it's in my camper-van, because it tends to turn up on camping trips. I've used it since 1997. I still consider it one of the best cutters, but I use a Palio now.

Hardcz
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Palio and other double guillotine cutters all the way.

Lucky_Hippo
02-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I marked both guillotine and punch. 95% of the time I use my Cuban Crafter perfect cut or one of my Xikars, but every once in a while I just want something different so I reach for a punch. I also keep a punch on my key ring for emergency situations.

I think I prefer a guillotine cut because I'm looking for the most smoke with the least effort to keep my cigar cool. Sometimes with a punch I just feel restricted.

Siebec
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Palio, I like the guillotine action the best. I was never a fan of the v cut or punch for some reason.

mrreindeer
02-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I think I prefer a guillotine cut because I'm looking for the most smoke with the least effort to keep my cigar cool. Sometimes with a punch I just feel restricted.

:tpd: Although I've never used a punch. I started with a guillotine so I've stuck with it and like the nice, clean cut it gives. For some reason, it just seems like the best way to open the cigar up.

BC-Axeman
02-04-2009, 10:18 AM
On many cigars I can pick the cap off with my fingernail. It's a little like biting so I clicked that.

WyGuy
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm glad I made the switch to the Palio, it's honestly the best cutter I've used. Before that I used those cheap $2 cutters, they were okay but didn't last long. I even used to use a knife and just cut the cap off, actually I still do that occasionally.

Yazzie
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Palio all the way. Used to use a Xikar but I feel the Palio is much better hands down :ss

Kreth
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm using the cheap ass guillotine cutter I got from my local B&M. At some point, I'll probably pick up a Palio.

Fumador
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I use my Palio most but on larger rg's and nc's I use a punch to restrict the draw somewhat.

ucla695
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I prefer to use a guillotine….either my Palio or Zino. I go for a straight cut for figurados. For parejos, I score the wrappers and flip the cap off with my thumb/finger. I’ve tried scissors before and it was a mess.

Chompers
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Right now I use a cheap $2 guillotine cutter. Once I get the funds I'll purchase either a Palio or an Xikar.
I'll probly also purchase a punch keyring, for those emergency situations.

Ace$nyper
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Xikar, I really am happy with it.

TXRebel
02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Primarily a Palio :tu, and on occasion a v-cut or punch.

Ashcan Bill
02-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Normally I use a Xikar punch. I keep it sharp and it cuts through caps quite well.

For torpedos or smaller demi tasse sized cigars, I generally use a Palio.

Pat1075
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Typically I go with the xikar guillotine but sometimes there is nothing like a v-cut.

karmaz00
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
i use the xikar x1 or x2 cant remember...no problems yet.

SmokeyJoe
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm a guillotine and punch kind of guy.

Makes me sound violent... :rolleyes:

Skywalker
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
No place to vote for Cranial Screw-Top Method!!!:r
http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/1/54181-large.jpg

I know this to be the favorite method of Ratters!!!

ahc4353
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a Palio (thank you Fox) and an Xikar (thanks to my wife and kids). Both are fine cutters with the edge no pun inteded to the Palio.

To be honest, I use my teeth more times than not.

TripleF
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I too prefer the punch type pf cut. It allows for maximum smoking pleasure 99% of the time. If the draw is too tight I make a clan cut with a guillotine, but the hole punch is best IMHO. :tu

-

14holestogie
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
It all depends on the setting. If I can spread my chit out, a cutter or punch. On the golf course, it's all about the teeth. :)

Ratters
02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
No place to vote for Cranial Screw-Top Method!!!

I know this to be the favorite method of Ratters!!!

Haters, the lot of them. :r

It is the way to cut a cigar that is taking the world by storm.

It was developed after watching with horror what some people did to the caps of their cigars, lopping off 1/8" or more.

Step one:
Find a cigar that has a nice rounded cap for best results. Will not work on torpedo or belicoso cigars, though I confess I have never tried.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_0016-4.jpg

Step two:
Place cutter gently and barely into the sides of the top of cap. While holding the cutter there, rotate the cigar.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_0017-3.jpg

Step three:
Peel off the cap. The cap should just pop off with the cutter, I left a tad bit uncut to show that the cap is coming off but there was no filler cut at all.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_0018-3.jpg

Final result:
Should be a very clean cut of just the cap without destroying any filler and leaving the remainder of the cap intact to avoid unraveling of the wrapper.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Cigars/IMG_0025-4.jpg

And Darrell knows where the name comes from, one of the greatest movies of all time.

DMK
02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
For larger rg's I use my Xikar, or a punch.
For my little rg's I have an ancient little V cutter.

dentonparrots
02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
For torpedo ended cigars I cut them but generally I prefer to punch cigars for the neater cut, but if there's too little area exposed I just nibble more off using the punch, that way I get a larger hole but still with neat edges.

groogs
02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I always use the guillotine cutter, but I am not a big fan of the "Ratters" method.

Catfish
02-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Xikar Spectra. One (slice) and done. I prefer easy draws. I'm a patient smoker that really appreciates even burns. 1 draw every 30 secs. to 1 minute is OK for me to achieve a nice, even burn.

jaymz
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
about 50/50 split between palio and punch cutters. had a couple other guillotine cutters, but they don't hold a candle to my palio.

Snake Hips
02-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I use a generic metal punch. I very much prefer the mouth-feel and draw when I punch a cigar to when I cut a cigar. I do cut torpedoes, belicosos and smaller cigars (under 40rg), but I use an El Cheapo double-guillotine. Works fine. I never could bring myself to spend so much for a Xikar or Palio when the $5 plastic one works just as well.

Jimbo14
02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I have been using this lately. I used to always cut but now I prefer a punch. It is a real Magnum 44 bullet turned into a punch - it works very well.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/careysmokeshop_2029_16652172

duckmanco
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I use a generic metal punch. I very much prefer the mouth-feel and draw when I punch a cigar to when I cut a cigar. I do cut torpedoes, belicosos and smaller cigars (under 40rg), but I use an El Cheapo double-guillotine. Works fine. I never could bring myself to spend so much for a Xikar or Palio when the $5 plastic one works just as well.

I spend the 40.00 on a palio and was a fanboy for awhile, but as time has gone on, and I have been cutting with the 2 dollar cheapo thats still in the car I've noticed absolutely no performance difference between the too. The palio is nice, but not sure if it was worth it.

MarkinAZ
02-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I've always used the guillotine. Mainly cheapo's during the years until my Palio came along (Yes, the honeymoon is still on;)). In addition to the Palio, I will generally use a punch when it comes to a larger ring guage. The NUB comes to mind. I had the privilage of using a Xikar punch when I visited Liberty Cigars in San Diego last August 08 on a NUB, which produced an excellent draw:ss

Ratters
02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I always use the guillotine cutter, but I am not a big fan of the "Ratters" method.

Just because you're a poor craftsman does not mean there is a problem with the method.

:fu
:ss

MarkinAZ
02-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Just because you're a poor craftsman does not mean there is a problem with the method. :fu :ss

:r:r

Lee
02-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I use a palio for most of my cigars. A punch is handy for short filler cigars to keep the filler in the end.

Coz77
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's what I have

http://www.cigarextras.com/ProductImages/cutters/xikar/Thumb_X357-black.jpg 1st choice - Love the bigger sized punch on this one.

https://www.thecigarparlor.com/os_Commerce/catalog/images/Cutters/Xikar/xiBlack_sm.jpg 2nd choice - This one only really comes out when I have to take a little more of the cap to open things up.

Steve
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Usually depends on my mood. Generally I use a guillotine, but sometimes if I have my v-cutter with me I'll go with it. When in a bind, I always have a punch.

Waynegro1
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I use the guillotine on most of my cigars. I own a V-Cutter and a couple punch cutters, but find I usually grab one of my guillotine cutters.
I like the guillotine most because I can adjust the depth of my cut much easier. Sometimes you have to take just a "bit" more off to get that perfect draw and I find the guillotine works really well for this.
I also must admit, I enjoy the ritual of inspecting the cap and where it ends, lining the guillotine just so and the quick snip (sound and feel).
I also prefer the feel a good guillotine in my hand whether it be my Xikar, Palio or any well made cutter.

big a
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I like them all depending on the cigar. I like a nice loose draw so sometimes a punch or V doesn't do it for me. However the punch is nice because i always have it on me on with my keys. I just got a Xikar for christmas and i am not impressed to say the least. Any other feel the same way or know of any tricks with it?

Buena Fortuna
02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I prefer the notch or v cut, then the punch, and last choice is the guillotine

havana_lover
02-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a Xikar Punch for a key ring and a cutter but I just got a Palio and I must say wow.. that thing is something else but the punch gets used whole lot, being with me always well that would be the reason. However if I am at home or have my Palio around I will use that..

tedrodgerscpa
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
The majority of the time, I use a Palio. Therefore, I answered 'guillotine'.

However, depending on my mood, I might punch a cigar. I keep a punch on my key ring all the time.

Also, I've cut after I've punched if I didn't like the draw. Awfully hard to cut THEN punch.

I don't use any of the other methods with regularity, but have done all except the 'bore holes' method (although now I'm curious)

Da Klugs
02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I think the Palio is the finest cutter ever mass produced.

That being said...

I cut 90% of my cigars with my $ 1.50 Havana single blade guillotine. The razor blade edge just seems easier to get a good cut without thinking about it too much.

When I use the Palio normally lay it on the table, hold the cigar vertical and cut it that way. Eliminates some of the variables that can mess up a cut.

rizzle
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Xikar is how I roll.

bigliver
02-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Palio...if that doesn't work, I use my other Palio.

MarkinAZ
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Palio...if that doesn't work, I use my other Palio.

It always pays to have reliable backup;):ss

longknocker
02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I marked both guillotine and punch. 95% of the time I use my Cuban Crafter perfect cut or one of my Xikars, but every once in a while I just want something different so I reach for a punch. I also keep a punch on my key ring for emergency situations.

My Sentiments, Exactly!:tu

Stonewall
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Xikar and a punch just depends on what cigar I am smoking.
Josh

ReggieFSULaw
02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I love the punch. I carry it on my keychain.

DrDubzz
02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Palio FTW

Scuba Steve
04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
ditto... Palio FTW

Smoke Naked
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
A cut above is my method.

SmokinApe
04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
palio

Legend
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
the attached pic is the best cutter I've ever found I like it on all types, even perfecto and torpedo, The lounge I belong to has one that has been in use for 3 years and is not dull. It's awesome. I'm actually surprised to see guillotine was so far ahead. it's my least favorite.

jlaker
04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
pal-e-o

its the best.

WildBlueSooner
04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I love my new Palio!

shortstory5
04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I use my xikar guillotine, but after reading this, i'm going to try using a punch for those large RG gars...

I have done the poke holes thing in desperation... i don't recommend it.

Junior
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
My number one pick is my Palio. It survived my explorer fire. It was laying in the console when the windshield melted and crashed in. It also took the burnt plastic that fell from the overhead console. Only damage was a couple of burned spots on the case, and the heat didn't bother it at all. One email to Palio, and a week later I had a new leather case in my hands.

If I absolutely can't find my Palio I have a single blade that I bought when my oldest was born. I also have a xikar if I cant find the little $3 cutter. The Palio seems to cut much better. The xiikar seems to tear the cap a little bit.

Junior
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM
It wouldn't let me go back and edit so here are some pictures
Truck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/junior897/truck%20fire/IMG_6416.jpg
Palio
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/junior897/truck%20fire/IMG_6424.jpg

The Saint
04-06-2009, 10:47 PM
For me it was a Xikar, then I found Palio....wow, what a difference! I still use a punch from time to time, especially on some of the fuller bodied smokes.

If all else fails....................Benchmade Auto!

Wolfgang
04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I use one of my pocket knives. :-) Nothing like pulling out a Benchmade 530 and cutting the cap off like a pro. The .09" blade really helps :ss

HAHA The Saint! I diddnt even see your post but you know what im talking about :r