PDA

View Full Version : BYOB and Cigar Shops

HawkEye19
02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
A buddy and I were discussing this, and figured out neither one of us really know the answer. Are there unwritten rules about this does it vary from state to state (needless to say, I'm most curious about Minnesota), do you just ask the guy at the counter..

Thanks

zmancbr
02-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Well it is typically up to the store owner so asking may be the best option. There are some shops here in CO that don't allow it and some owners that could care less. Then there are some the allow it, but only in the members areas...

gpugliese
02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Are you talking beer or beverages? Beverages, I'd say it's up to the store owner. Beer, it's going to vary state to state, as often times permits are required for alcoholic beverages.

uptown_isy
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
In my store, customers are allowed to BYOB. We are not allowed to sell or distribute booze.

mosesbotbol
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
It's generally allow at my B&M, and for sure allowed if it's something he likes to drink :al

silentjon
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
The owners at my B&M allow it. I have two bottles in my locker. :tu

dunng
02-03-2009, 10:54 AM
It's allowed around here... just make sure you buy it next door at the B&M owner's liquor store. :D

Mugen910
02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
It's allowed around here... just make sure you buy it next door at the B&M owner's liquor store. :D

:r nice!

Scottw
02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
My B & M permits beer / wine / booze consumption with no issues at all.

Yazzie
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM

That sounds fair

gnukfu
02-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Yeah, how convenient is that? ;)

dunng
02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, how convenient is that? ;)

:D

Raralith
02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I brought a flask once to a lounge, and I got the stink eye. Maybe it was the store owner, but I can't think of anything in California that would prohibit this. The store itself wasn't selling me any anyways.

Footbag
02-03-2009, 01:48 PM
As I understand the laws, a business can allow drinking and even serve alcohol (free) on their premises. No license is needed, unless you are charging.

It is a good idea to take a look at your insurance policy and make sure you are covered for some of the worst case scenarios, before tapping the kegs.

livwire68
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
We use to be able to here. Then after an event someone reported it, a bunch of shops were hit and now they are gun shy. I still bring in a coffee mug with something when I visit.

dannysguitar
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I brought a flask once to a lounge, and I got the stink eye. Maybe it was the store owner, but I can't think of anything in California that would prohibit this. The store itself wasn't selling me any anyways.

Where was that? We need to stop going there! LOL

alley00p
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
My B&M, ViBratto's, allows "cigar customers" to bring in a bottle of wine, spirits or beer. The owner's rule is "If you want to bring something to drink in here, you better be buying a stick (or more)".

There is a wine shop next door and a lot of strangers buy a bottle and come walking in, asking if they can sit and drink the wine because the wine shop has a no smoking policy. That's where the owner's rule comes into play.

Regulars are always allowed (and encouraged!) to bring in a good single malt scotch or single barrel bourbon to share with their friends. :tu

This is where I have been learning all the fine points of single malts! :dr

:dance::dance::dance:

Darrell
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
We allow it at the shop I work at, just don't get stupid drunk. :ss

GWags
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I think around these parts they have to have a "consumption permit"

TRicker
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Thats the only reason I drink!:r

Silound
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM

More or less the same where I am. BYOB is fine, provided you don't get drunk here.

Liquor laws are queer as three-dollar bills, and Louisiana has it's share of screwy ones. Alcohol can be offered, free of charge, on the premises, however an employee cannot serve it, otherwise that requires a liquor license.

We actually have a shelf in the office filled with boozes that regulars bring in and leave for when they want a drink.

Snake Hips
02-03-2009, 09:57 PM
At the B&M I go to, they don't care as long as you're smart about it. It's pretty much Don't Ask Don't Tell, because they aren't allowed to serve it.

Jbailey
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
we can't sell it at our shop but you can bring whatever in. I got two lockers at our shop just to make room for my bottles. :D

AzonCigars
02-04-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm sure the laws differ state to state, most likely city to city. I would just ask the owner...maybe offer him/her a buck or two as a bottle fee.

For us a few drinks is fine...just don't bring in a case of a beer. :r

We don't want :pu or for anyone to pass out.:ss

ScottishSmoker
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
In Minnesota, if I recall it is a "no-no" to bring your own...I am not positive about that, but last I remembered it was....as far as availability, I think Golden Leaf on W. 7th in downtown St. Paul has a pour license. If you want to bring your own, St. Croix Cigar in downtown Hudson, WI...the good side of the St. Croix River, allows for you to bring your own. As long as you do not get out of hand of course.

Clampdown
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
The local shop by me has it as one of the rules that you can not drink alcohol in the shop. Thats why I smoke at bars. :tu

leafandale
02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
A buddy and I were discussing this, and figured out neither one of us really know the answer. Are there unwritten rules about this does it vary from state to state (needless to say, I'm most curious about Minnesota), do you just ask the guy at the counter..

Thanks

Jason,
As a shop owner in a state with strange liquor laws, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING YOU READ IN THIS THREAD AS GOSPEL. As one person smartly stated, liquor, wine and beer laws vary so much, not only from state to state, but city to city and county to county. In Tennessee, Jack Daniels can make all the whiskey they want in Lynchburg... but you can't buy it anywhere in town. Lynchburg is dry.

So just do the smart thing and ask the shop owner. Why a shop owner would allow it when local laws prohibit such activity is just beyond me. They put everything they have worked for at risk, including their ability to provide for their family.

BengalMan
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Technically, almost all shops in most states that allow liquor to be brought in and consumed without a liquor license are breaking the law, however like many have said, it varies from city to city and state to state. I don't know the exact laws per say, and almost never are there any issues with this, however, if it came down to it, the shop owner would be held liable if anything negative were to happen.

In the end, ask the shop owner and, like always, be responsible.