PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Price

HawkEye19
02-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Over at a local Circuit City, I can currently pick up a Cannon Digital Rebel XT for $250 (new in box). I think that's a pretty good price, but am wondering what others (who know more than I do) think.

Thanks!

-j

JE3146
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
The Rebel XT is 2 generations of technology ago. Just an FYI.

The XTi that I have and the new XSi are far more advanced.

If you're looking for a great entry level camera to just dink around in the DSLR category, then you can't go wrong with an XT. If you want higher end features like better autofocus and more megapixels, bigger viewing screen, better build quality, then the two latter models would be wiser choices.

jkim05
02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
It's a good camera for an entry level SLR. Right out of the box though you might find you get better image quality from a higher end P&S, which can be true, but if you're willing to spend the time to learn, and the money to replace the kit lens...you can get some really nice photos. IMO, for a first camera, no point in buying anything better than an XT unless you really plan to get into photography. Get one used with a low shutter count and you'll have almost no financial commitment if you choose to sell it.

HawkEye19
02-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm looking for a entry DSLR, so it sounds like a good camera to build off of, especially for the price. Anything past that will be in the future if I want to make money off photography.

hotreds
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Always a good idea to check Ebay to see what they are going for there. A quick glance seems to show this is a pretty good deal. You might want to spend some more time checking out package deals. If you're looking for starter DSLRs I'd also check out the Canon 20D- a more rugged camera than the XT series and also of older vintage so can be had fairly inexpensively. Good luck to you!

karmaz00
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
i have the nikon d60, with 2 VR lenses....im very pleased.

HawkEye19
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
So much for the camera. It was $250 for a body only. No dice for that one. Guess I keep looking. Wife's a little happier for it, though.

Ace$nyper
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
250 for that body still isn't bad, I'm a bit biased to nikon vs cannon but friends have the XT and XTis and I do like them a lot.

Personally I'd rather a D40 then an XT.

Dunno if they have them for sale.

HawkEye19
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
250 for that body still isn't bad, I'm a bit biased to nikon vs cannon but friends have the XT and XTis and I do like them a lot.

Personally I'd rather a D40 then an XT.

Dunno if they have them for sale.

I'm steering away from Nikons due to the lack of AF compatibility with older lenses. I'd like to have that option in case I find a older lens for a good price.

Cigary
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Do plenty of research on different cameras,,,what you want personally from it and how much you want to add later. Ask tons of questions and go to the stores and see for yourself,,test drive it and see how it "feels" in your own two hands. Read the personal reviews from others. I love photography and what works for one does not necessarily work for others. There are alot of good products out there but until you get them in your hot little hands you won't really know what it's like,,,kind of like test driving a car. Would you buy it before a test drive? Try tigerdirectdotcom for some decent pricing. One thing I learned early for digital you don't need anything over 8mp unless you are going to do some banner printing.