PDA

View Full Version : Which was the best SuperBowl EVER?

tedrodgerscpa
02-01-2009, 08:34 PM
The debates will rage on, but I'm curious sports fans...

SB XXXII - Denver Broncos defeat the Green Bay Packers
SB XLII - NY Giants defeat the New England Patriots
SB XLIII - Pittsburgh Steelers defeat the Arizona Cardinals

I like the latest game the best... two lead changes in the fourth quarter, the losing QB throwing for 377 yards, a safety, a 100 yard interception for the longest play in SB history, a fantastic catch to win the game... Just WOW!

Chompers
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
If this game isn't the best, it damn sure is up there!

JE3146
02-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Watching the Giants beat the Brady Bunch Bandwagon was about the best moment in NFL history that I can recall aside from watching Elway or Montana make their marks.

Bruzee
02-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Because my emotions are still high, I voted for this one. But it is to be debated. I think the refs had a little too much say in the outcome of this ball game. :2

MedicCook
02-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I will go with the Giants last year beating the undefeated New England team. Plus for me it was another NY win vs Boston loss.

tobii3
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
If this game isn't the best, it damn sure is up there!

This game will definitiely be in the record books for worst officiating in the Super Bowl!!:c

But for Best games???

I can think of quite a few....my favorite will always be....

XXIII - 49ers vs Cincinatti - you KNOW the story....trailing 16-13 in the 4th quarter....:34 left on the clock, 92 yard drive to the end zone........a 10 yard pass with 8 seconds left to win 20-16...unf*ckingbelievable!!!!!!!!!

acruce
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Giants over buffalo wide right field goal that would have given buffalo there super bowl win

Gargoyle
02-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Pats over the Panthers. 1st & 3rd qtr owned by the D, where the offense lit up the field in 2nd & 4th. A lively game where the strategy seemed to change every few minutes, both teams in the game through the whole game, nail biter until the very end.

heavyd
02-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Rams over Titans XXXIV was my favorite. Today's game was one of the best...no doubt!

acarr
02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
This was a fantastic game

SmokeyJoe
02-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Rams over Titans XXXIV was my favorite. Today's game was one of the best...no doubt!

:tpd: But this one would probably be my next favorite. :tu

MikeyC
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Personally, I'm baffled why everyone thinks this was such a great game. The fourth quarter was great but the first three quarters (especially the first two) I thought were not that exciting.

Anyway, in my opinion the best Superbowl ever was XXXVI Rams vs. Patriots. The Pats were 100% underdogs, there was the big QB controversy of who should start (Brady or Bledsoe?), plus the WHOLE game was exciting and it was the first SB decided by a last second field goal.

bobarian
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
At least in the end, someone WON the game. For a while it seemed like AZ was determined to lose. Lots of ref involvement but the penalties were too obvious not to call.

For most our favorites will be ones where OUR teams won. Thing are much more interesting when you are personally involved. For me probably XVIII, Joe driving my Niners 92 yards will less time than Warner had today. :tu:ih

Beer Doctor
02-01-2009, 11:45 PM
The three superbowls that I saw the Cowboys win!!! 92, 93, and 95. However they weren't as exciting as the last two, with this years taking the cake. But I voted for other:D

Genetic Defect
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Personally, I'm baffled why everyone thinks this was such a great game. The fourth quarter was great but the first three quarters (especially the first two) I thought were not that exciting.

Anyway, in my opinion the best Superbowl ever was XXXVI Rams vs. Patriots. The Pats were 100% underdogs, there was the big QB controversy of who should start (Brady or Bledsoe?), plus the WHOLE game was exciting and it was the first SB decided by a last second field goal.

:tpd: I say they were drunk

the last quarter was good

tobii3
02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
For me probably XVIII, Joe driving my Niners 92 yards will less time than Warner had today. :tu:ih

uh....Bob??

That Sometimers Disease kicking in?

XVIII was the year the Redskins forgot to play the Raiders...Redskins 9....Raiders 38...

:al

Volt
02-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Disclaimer - I am a Black and Gold fan.

Not sure why folks are down on the officiating.... Every called penalty looked legit IMO with the possible exception of one. The roughing the ball holder was possibly iffy, I'm not sure all the ins and outs of that rule. I didn't think the hit was deliberate, but he did run into him.

The Ben touch down I couldn't tell if he was down or not, so no complaints.
Harrison's run looked legit to me
Santonio's feet were in to win the game

Even the 100+ yards in penalties and the holding that caused the safety were for the most part no brainers, all were cought by TV and were legit.

All in all a very exciting game to watch. The first drive with the TD call back, the second attempt that ended in a field goal, 2nd qtr drive that AZ put together that almost got a TD but was intercepted, 4th qtr drives by both teams. While last years was touching, not as exciting as this game, but YMMV.

chippewastud79
02-02-2009, 07:47 AM
I am not a fan of any team really, I guess I always choose the underdogs.

I am not sure what the best Super Bowl I have ever watched would be, but this one didn't really seem to be any better than a lot of previous ones.

I think this game was, meh OK. The first half might have been one of the most uneventful things I have seen until the last 12 seconds. Even the second half was slow until the last two drives. I am not blaming the refs for either team or anything, but they did seem to control some of the drives and plays with calls (justified or not). Way too many penalties for a game of that magnitude. :2

On a better note, my offensive line coach from college coaches for the Steelers, so he is part of a Super Bowl Champion :tu

taltos
02-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Disclaimer - I am a Black and Gold fan.

Not sure why folks are down on the officiating.... Every called penalty looked legit IMO with the possible exception of one. The roughing the ball holder was possibly iffy, I'm not sure all the ins and outs of that rule. I didn't think the hit was deliberate, but he did run into him.

The Ben touch down I couldn't tell if he was down or not, so no complaints.
Harrison's run looked legit to me
Santonio's feet were in to win the game

Even the 100+ yards in penalties and the holding that caused the safety were for the most part no brainers, all were cought by TV and were legit.

All in all a very exciting game to watch. The first drive with the TD call back, the second attempt that ended in a field goal, 2nd qtr drive that AZ put together that almost got a TD but was intercepted, 4th qtr drives by both teams. While last years was touching, not as exciting as this game, but YMMV.I will give you an obvious non-call. After the winning TD, Santonio used the ball as a prop. The Steelers should have kicked off 15 yards deeper. Would not have made a difference but all year they have been calling it when a player used the ball as a prop. Overall the difference in penalty yards calls the officiating into question just as much as the Steelers vs Seahawks Stupor Bowl.

Blueface
02-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Giants fan here.
Guess how I voted.

Genetic Defect
02-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Giants fan here.
Guess how I voted.

other?

ChINaMaN1472
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Exciting 4th quarter this year, but seeing the Patriots lose > everything else (well, almost)

uptown_isy
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
It's a toss up for me, between last year and this year. This is because my memory sucks. But last night's catch by Santonio Holmes was the GREATEST touchdown catch I've seen. I lost BOTH pools I was in, but it sure made for GREAT football.

ucla695
02-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Steelers fan here. Guess how I voted. :)

Made in Dade
02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
My top 5 SuperBowls

1. Steelers vs. Cardinals
2. 49ers vs. Bengals 1989
3. Rams vs. Pats 2001
4. Giants vs. Pats 2008
5. Giants vs. Bills 1991

Just my:2

ScottieM
02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Last years by far was the best Superbowl ever. No doubt about it.

It wasn't just that the Giants beat the Pats who were undefeated going in to the game, it was how they did it. That "Helmet" catch by Tyree was amazing.

I don't even think this yrs Superbowl makes the top 5.

Bubba - NJ
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
The best Super Bowl ever hasn't happened yet , there has been some good ones but for me the best hasn't come to fruition . Yup , I'm an Eagles fan , still . Always have and always will be ! :pu . Any body know why Donovan McNabb stopped doing Chunky Soup commercials ? Every time he gets near a bowl he chokes ! :r

VirtualSmitty
02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Giants fan here.
Guess how I voted.

:usa easy choice. This last one was exciting, but it wasn't as big as the Giants taking down the undefeated Pats imho.