PDA

View Full Version : La Aurora Barrel Aged?

Boobar
02-01-2009, 07:41 AM
I was looking for some first hand information on these from some forumites who have smoked them. Those who have smoked them, what did you think, what are the predominate flavors? Any information you can provide would be completely apprecaiated. Thanks

Snake Hips
02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
It's a pretty good cigar if you like rich maduro flavors. It's a oscuro corojo, so it's kind of bizarre at first. Definite corojo flavor, but also with the maduro flavor. Not one of my favorite cigars ever, but I enjoyed it very much. Predominant flavors being coffee, wood, earth and spice - whatever you would expect from an oscuro and a corojo.

Boobar
02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
It's a pretty good cigar if you like rich maduro flavors. It's a oscuro corojo, so it's kind of bizarre at first. Definite corojo flavor, but also with the maduro flavor. Not one of my favorite cigars ever, but I enjoyed it very much. Predominant flavors being coffee, wood, earth and spice - whatever you would expect from an oscuro and a corojo.

Thanks, I am going to have to pick some of these up and give them a try.

jwintosh
02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
they're pretty good! typical la aurora profile, with a little extra spice.

lenguamor
02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
"Unique" would be the operative word.

I had one right out of first release; I liked the taste but it was wet, a bit harsh and I decided to put them away for a while before I smoked another. This just reminded me, though - I have to bust one out and re-sample! :ss

I love it when that happens.

GrumpyOleTroll
02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
"Unique" would be the operative word.

I had one right out of first release; I liked the taste but it was wet, a bit harsh and I decided to put them away for a while before I smoked another. This just reminded me, though - I have to bust one out and re-sample! :ss

I love it when that happens.

I agree was very wet at release.

Bought some during a split and I still pick up a couple when I am at the B&M.

A heavier smoke in my opinion.

Shawn

JJG
08-25-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm bumping this old thread because I bought one of these. It came highly recommended from the local tobacconist. not something I would probably pick up on my own but we'll give it a try. I should really make a point to start trying new stuff once a week. I've fallen into a routine of just buying the same handful of brands lately.

please share your thoughts, review to follow

G G
08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I have one of these in the humi, I'll have to smoke it soon.:tu

smokin5
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Here's my blind review of the Robusto after smoking 2 in 8/08:

Aesthetics – An ugly stick with mottled brown wrapper that’s medium brown with darker splotches, bulging stems and leaves, and poorly capped.
Score: 5.7
Construction - Surprisingly well-constructed, given its look & feel. The burn is fairly even, just a little off but doesn’t require correction, and the draw is fine throughout. A real slow cooker, it took almost 1-1/2 hours to smoke these.
Score: 9.2
Flavor & Strength – Sweet coffee & cream with light spice & vanilla, but a flat finish.
The smoke leaves a sweet creamy feel, but little flavor. Medium in strength. There’s little change, except the second half is somewhat stronger, with more tartness & charcoal, but the aftertaste still falls flat. The last third is more assertive with less creamy feel to the smoke.
Score: 7.0
General Comments – This is not a cigar I would seek out. It did not hold my attention. A yardgar at best.

JJG
08-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Here's my blind review of the Robusto after smoking 2 in 8/08:

Aesthetics – An ugly stick with mottled brown wrapper that’s medium brown with darker splotches, bulging stems and leaves, and poorly capped.
Score: 5.7
Construction - Surprisingly well-constructed, given its look & feel. The burn is fairly even, just a little off but doesn’t require correction, and the draw is fine throughout. A real slow cooker, it took almost 1-1/2 hours to smoke these.
Score: 9.2
Flavor & Strength – Sweet coffee & cream with light spice & vanilla, but a flat finish.
The smoke leaves a sweet creamy feel, but little flavor. Medium in strength. There’s little change, except the second half is somewhat stronger, with more tartness & charcoal, but the aftertaste still falls flat. The last third is more assertive with less creamy feel to the smoke.
Score: 7.0
General Comments – This is not a cigar I would seek out. It did not hold my attention. A yardgar at best.

well this was going to be my review almost word for word. Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing all down. :tu There were no off flavors and it didn't taste bad, just flat and uninteresting.

wrench turner 85
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
very good cigar but has tends to burns uneven, bad runs . If you get one let it dry out a little bit before smoking cus it evens out the burn. IMO I would say buy a couple and let them sit in the dry box for a couple of days.:tu

JJG
08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
yeah, I had some burn issues too but part of it was probably my fault. I bought it on Friday and it's been sitting on my kitchen counter all week. It most likely got more moist sitting out though. It's been extremely humid here recently. I kept having to babysit this one, couldn't put it down for more than a minute without having to revive it. At one point I had this claw thing going up the side, looked like a double run. It corrected on it's own though.

[sigh] I think the downside of growing and gaining experience is that it comes with a bit of unintentional snobbery. I don't by any means consider myself a snob but it's getting more and more difficult to find any NCs I really like for less than $10. :(

wrench turner 85
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
yeah, I had some burn issues too but part of it was probably my fault. I bought it on Friday and it's been sitting on my kitchen counter all week. It most likely got more moist sitting out though. It's been extremely humid here recently. I kept having to babysit this one, couldn't put it down for more than a minute without having to revive it. At one point I had this claw thing going up the side, looked like a double run. It corrected on it's own though.

[sigh] I think the downside of growing and gaining experience is that it comes with a bit of unintentional snobbery. I don't by any means consider myself a snob but it's getting more and more difficult to find any NCs I really like for less than $10. :(

there are some out there. I'm kind of the opeset. There are alot of good cigar over 10$ but there ,IMO, are better 5$ sticks out ther . It all comes down to personal taste.

dannysguitar
08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Wow, I'm surprised there were so many bad (or should I say not good) reviews. I only had 1 and did have burn problems, but the flavors were good. Nice wood, coffee, spice with a slight sweet finish. I would buy it again...

Cigary
08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
As with any cigars everyone is going to judge them with their own taste. I find it humorous after so many years of smoking cigars why people are surprised to find that everybody has different opinions on what they like. A review is just someone elses opinion on what they found in that cigar,,,doesn't mean we should accept it as fact. I know too many people who follow reviews as if they were factual,,,they are not. For those who want to try other cigars,,,try as many as you can because your own taste will and should guide you.

smokin5
08-26-2009, 10:25 PM
As with any cigars everyone is going to judge them with their own taste. I find it humorous after so many years of smoking cigars why people are surprised to find that everybody has different opinions on what they like. A review is just someone elses opinion on what they found in that cigar,,,doesn't mean we should accept it as fact. I know too many people who follow reviews as if they were factual,,,they are not. For those who want to try other cigars,,,try as many as you can because your own taste will and should guide you.

Yeppers. The key is to find someone who's tastes are similar (or directly opposite) you, & use that as your guide.