PDA

View Full Version : Casa Magna-Overhyped and underwhelming

bobarian
01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Smoked my first of these earlier today. What a letdown.:mad:

Solid construction with a nice dark wrapper. I am not a fan of most of Placencia's blends, so maybe this was the reason I did not find this cigar appealing. If this was meant as the replacement for the JdN, IMHO he missed the mark. None of the flavor or kick of a JdN. Some decent toastiness, but no depth or complexity and barely any nic kick. :rolleyes:

I smoked mine down to the nub, searching for something that would tell me why this was rated so highly(other that $). I got nothing! Overall a very boring stick. Smooth yes, but flavor no. :confused:

There are so many other tasty Nicaraguan smokes out there that I would smoke before the Casa Magna. JdN, Tat's, Pepin Blacks. :2

borndead1
01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree. I smoked one and just didn't "get it". And I am a Nestor fan.

Skywalker
01-31-2009, 06:03 PM
I trust you Bob more than Cigar Aficionado magazine!!!!

dunng
01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the review. I have not yet tried it yet... But typically I don't like anything from Nestor Placencia. :ss

Cigary
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Dang,,,I wanted to try this one out but now I have to rethink this.

Buena Fortuna
01-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Don't let someone else's opinion stop you from trying one, everyone's tastes and opinions are different. You certainly won't be wasting your money at that price point, and you may just like it...that's the reason there are so many great cigars blended every year. Spend $6 and post your own review and join in the fun:D

borndead1
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM

Try one. It's not that it's a bad cigar, we just can't figure out why it got #1 cigar of the year.

bobarian
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Try one. It's not that it's a bad cigar, we just can't figure out why it got #1 cigar of the year.

:tpd:I agree, never let one person's opinion steer you away from trying a smoke. There are hundreds of cigars out there I dont like. I will give Casa Magna another shot as well. I never make a final decision based upon a single cigar.
Each person's palate is different as are their expectations. :2

Doogie
01-31-2009, 08:40 PM

my thoughts exactly:ss

BORIStheBLADE
01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
I tried one too and wasn't blown away, but it was a decent smoke for $6.00. I do want to give it another try though.

PaleRider
01-31-2009, 11:52 PM
I like the Casa Magna myself. I absolutely agree that there were other cigars that they rated that were much better, i.e. DPG Blue Label Lancero (Yum!) Anyway, I think that the 92 rating that they afforded that blend is a bit high IMHO. I would put it at a solid 90-89 FWIW.

This all being said. I think that the construction is quite good, and I also think that it does offer something worthwhile. Worthy of number 1 for the year? Probably not. But a darned good cigar, definitely. Pick one up, decide for yourself.

Just my :2

Cheers!

Smokin Gator
02-01-2009, 03:55 AM
I have a couple of these that BigAsh sent me. I am looking forward to smoking them.

Ratters
02-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Nice review Bob. :tu Maybe I'll give mine a shot today.

NickyTeen
02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the review,Bob.:tu

omowasu
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I just picked up one of these two days ago solely because of the #1 slot at CA. I havent smoked it yet, but my expectations were so-so even then, and they are more so-so now. I will smoke it in the next couple days and report back... :ss

Ratters
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Had mine today. Eh, it was pretty good. Just nothing special. Kinda reminded me of a Tat red a bit.

zmancbr
02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the review Bob. I think I will steer clear of this stick... you are right there is too much good stuff to smoke! :ss

uptown_isy
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I agree that this is not the best cigar out there, but I've been pushing this cigar as the best value in the humidor for some time now. Even though CA doesn't really care about value, I do. Thanks for the review Bob!

karmaz00
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
havent had one yet...thanks for the heads up

Killjoy
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I have been interested in trying these too..maybe i will get lucky and my local B&M might have one. If they do i will post a quick write up tomarrow

GTsetGO
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
smoked one with java today. it was "okay". Definately not the best cigar that i have smoked this year..

During the smoking process it burned uneven and I had to relight it about 7 times as it kept going out.

fun times.

Mr B
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Nice review Bob. Thanks

Hardcz
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM

Because it doesn't suck, AND the price is 1/5 of some of the competing sticks....mind you they have better overall flavor, putting the price and flavor together you get a winner..... Though people I've seen have commented they believe it shouldn't receive #1 based on flavor alone.

Killjoy
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I passed on smoking one of these the other day in favour of my first red label 601..looks like I will try one of these enxt week.

bobarian
02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Because it doesn't suck, AND the price is 1/5 of some of the competing sticks....mind you they have better overall flavor, putting the price and flavor together you get a winner..... Though people I've seen have commented they believe it shouldn't receive #1 based on flavor alone.

This is not a ringing endorsement of a cigar. I dont know where you are finding these so cheap. Online when they were available, they ran about $5.50 on average. IMHO this was not even a decent $5 smoke. So many other smokes out there that have more flavor at the same price point :2

Ratters
02-06-2009, 05:37 PM
I passed on smoking one of these the other day in favour of my first red label 601..looks like I will try one of these enxt week.

This really is a pretty decent smoke, just not amazing. I would definitely smoke another if given then chance. But they would have to be at least $3 a stick by the box like my beloved Camachos before I'd consider it.

Now the 601 red, I'll pay a tad more for. :ss

Cigary
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Don't let someone else's opinion stop you from trying one, everyone's tastes and opinions are different. You certainly won't be wasting your money at that price point, and you may just like it...that's the reason there are so many great cigars blended every year. Spend $6 and post your own review and join in the fun:D

I hear that,,,often I have given out the same advice. Bobarian is one of those brothers I read quite often and pretty much listen to his advice and find it pretty accurate,,,,but I just might give one a try just so that I get my own opinion on it. Thx for the advice,,,sometimes I need a taste of my own.:ss

bobarian
02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I hear that,,,often I have given out the same advice. Bobarian is one of those brothers I read quite often and pretty much listen to his advice and find it pretty accurate,,,,but I just might give one a try just so that I get my own opinion on it. Thx for the advice,,,sometimes I need a taste of my own.:ss

I would definitely give them a shot. In fact it might might be the size just wasnt for me. When they become more readily available I would love to try a smaller RG.

jaymz
02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
So many other smokes out there that have more flavor at the same price point :2

Care to offer up some suggestions? I've never had a Casa Magna, but I would definitely like to see what you are comparing these too.

Another question, does anyone know if this is the cheapest cigar that has hit the top ten on Cigar Afficianado? Usually it seems they don't seem to notice anything under non-cuban under $10.

bobarian
02-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Care to offer up some suggestions? I've never had a Casa Magna, but I would definitely like to see what you are comparing these too.

Another question, does anyone know if this is the cheapest cigar that has hit the top ten on Cigar Afficianado? Usually it seems they don't seem to notice anything under non-cuban under $10.

If you can get up to Orlando, Corona Cigars has one of the biggest assortments in the country.

Ton's of stuff under $10 to be recommended.

Full strength/Full flavor

Cruzado-I really like the little perfecto, Marela
Joya de Nicaragua Consul-powerhouse robusto, the Machito is also tasty in the PC size. I also like the lancero
Tatuaje Havana VI(red label)-I like the smaller sizes
Camacho Diploma(Corojo)-the 11/18 size may be the perfect smoke
Litto Gomez Diez-Not for the faint of heart, the Chisel will put you on the floor.
Camacho Triple Maduro-Probably the most expensive on this list but worth the $

Medium Full
Cabiguan-The petites are a great short smoke
Rocky Patel Sungrown-The only RP I will smoke
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero-Most consider the Chisel a Full, the El Jocko is a tasty little perfecto, the Lancero is tasty
Tatuaje Miami(brown)-Especiales(lancero) is my fav
Oliva O, G and V-All great smokes-Try the Special G maduro and the V lancero

Bargain smokes
Don Kiki Brown Botella from Cuban Crafters
Sancho Panza Double Maduro

Those are just a few and I am sure I missed some. But I dont think you can go wrong with any of these.:ss

borndead1
02-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Just lit up the second of 2 sticks I bought. The first one was a huge "meh". I try to give most cigars a second chance, so I decided today is the day for the Casa Magna.

First 1/3
Very sweet on the draw, and that pure, instantly recognizable Nicaraguan spice in the nose, a little floral on the finish. This one already tastes way different from the first one. Maybe they just needed a few weeks in the humi.

Second 1/3
Wow, this is like a completely different cigar. A lot more flavor than the first one, better burn too. The place I bought them from always has the humidity cranked up in their humidor. I've seen it as high as 74% before. Amazing what a difference it makes. Flavor-wise, seems to be going back and forth between charred wood and floral, with the ever-present Nicaraguan bite in the nose exhale. They're growing some tasty tobacco down there in Nicaragua. :D This is definitely NOT one of your typical quadruple ligero bombs that are so popular these days. "Strength" is a solid medium.

Final 1/3
Getting a little ammonia, did a flame purge and it cleared up. This one could have used some more rest. Flavor-wise the floral is a little more upfront and the wood is gone. Floral and tangy. Let it die at just under 2".

This one was waaaaaay better than the first one I smoked. Still don't agree with the ranking though. But I will pick up a few more and put them to bed for a few months and revisit.

Skywalker
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM

The Dona Flor Selecao the year before last!!!

Under five dollars a stick!!!

bobarian
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Just lit up the second of 2 sticks I bought. The first one was a huge "meh". I try to give most cigars a second chance, so I decided today is the day for the Casa Magna.

First 1/3
Very sweet on the draw, and that pure, instantly recognizable Nicaraguan spice in the nose, a little floral on the finish. This one already tastes way different from the first one. Maybe they just needed a few weeks in the humi.

Second 1/3
Wow, this is like a completely different cigar. A lot more flavor than the first one, better burn too. The place I bought them from always has the humidity cranked up in their humidor. I've seen it as high as 74% before. Amazing what a difference it makes. Flavor-wise, seems to be going back and forth between charred wood and floral, with the ever-present Nicaraguan bite in the nose exhale. They're growing some tasty tobacco down there in Nicaragua. :D This is definitely NOT one of your typical quadruple ligero bombs that are so popular these days. "Strength" is a solid medium.

Final 1/3
Getting a little ammonia, did a flame purge and it cleared up. This one could have used some more rest. Flavor-wise the floral is a little more upfront and the wood is gone. Floral and tangy. Let it die at just under 2".

This one was waaaaaay better than the first one I smoked. Still don't agree with the ranking though. But I will pick up a few more and put them to bed for a few months and revisit.

Thanks bro, will have to revisit this one as well. Just a bit hard to find atm.

GTsetGO
02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
they only sent coronas out to the shops and have the robusto and another size on back order according to my local shop.

they are supposed to recieve more within a couple of weeks

ade06
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
but no depth or complexity and barely any nic kick.

I had one for the first time last night and I wasn't overly impressed either, but I found that it did have quite a bit of nic kick. It wasn't bad but, I probably won't buy another one because like a lot of people have already stated; there are just too many other better cigars at the $5 price point.

MithShrike
02-18-2009, 03:44 PM

The reason I think it got #1 cigar is because of the Face2Face contracts that shops must sign in order to receive these. The contract is supposed to make it so that these cigars will only be sold in B&Ms and not at all online. I think Cigar Aficionado is trying to help drive more business into B&Ms.

BengalMan
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Pick up a Oliva Serie V Dbl Robusto. MSRP is $5.50 and it was the #12 cigar of the year. See what you think of it.

groogs
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I am going to pull mine out of the humi tonight and see what all the fuss is about.

Darrell
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I had one the other day, it was the corona size. I could not get it to dry for ****. I was not impressed.

shilala
02-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I got one a few weeks ago at Slippery Rock Cigars. Sofaman got one, too.
He smoked his and said "meh". Not that the cigar was bad, it just wasn't anything to dance about and certainly not a #1.
Mine is still in my humi. I think it's a torp. I'm looking forward to trying it just to see what it compares to. When I saw it and smelled it, it reminded me a LOT of Taboo's SFO.

omowasu
04-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I finally smoked one of the Casa Magna Robustos I had picked up in February - overall, I liked the stick. I wouldnt say it was a cigar of the year, but I felt it was worth the $5.50 I paid at Jack Schwartz in Chicago.

Anyway, it started out with a nice smack of pepper and spice - good start IMO, with some nice woodsy twang and just a tiny bitter aftertaste. I am not a fan of bitter cigars, and bitterness usually turns me off immediately, but this was more of a fresh-brewed coffee bitterness that was somewhat enjoyable.

Toward the middle, the pepper subsided and the solid Nicaraguan twang took over, mostly cedar and leather, great on the snork... After about the 1/2 mark, I also found more bitterness and ammonia. Cashed at the last 1/3rd.

While I liked the cigar and thought it was worth the money, I didnt like the size (6x60) - I would rather see this smoke in a smaller 5x50 or maybe even a lancero/corona. So many of these super large cigars are overkill, including this one...

MithShrike
04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I think the corona shape in this line is the best. The other shapes seem too airy and the flavor is much better IMO from the corona. Now, I smoked the first batch and I've smoked the second batch. I believe that the quality and consistency has gone down from the initial release.

yourchoice
10-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I just had my first Casa Magna this morning driving home from a weekend getaway. I bought two. Unless the second is MUCH better than the first, the second will be my last. Not impressed at all.

IMHO there are various bundle smokes that are better than the one I had. LHOs are one of the first that come to mind.

:2

yourchoice
04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
I just had my first Casa Magna this morning driving home from a weekend getaway. I bought two. Unless the second is MUCH better than the first, the second will be my last. Not impressed at all.

IMHO there are various bundle smokes that are better than the one I had. LHOs are one of the first that come to mind.

:2

I finally got around to smoking my second one last night while watching the Wings/'Yotes game 7. Figured it had ample time to rest and improve. All I can say is, I agree with Bob...

What a letdown.:mad:

I don't plan on smoking any more of these. Not my cup of tea. Only got through half of it last night and I almost never lay down a half smoked stogie. Not good. :td

bobarian
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Actually going to a Casa Magna event tomorrow evening, so I will get a chance to try the Oscuro. Unfortunately, I have heard even less positive reactions :confused:about the oscuro.

yourchoice
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Actually going to a Casa Magna event tomorrow evening, so I will get a chance to try the Oscuro.
Well, then it was an interestingly timely thread bump. :) Let us know what you think of them.

kelmac07
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I didn't care for this either. Now the Oscuro version, that is a different story...very tasty!!! :tu