PDA

View Full Version : opinion on budget smoke decision

beamish
01-31-2009, 09:15 AM
After a downturn my economy,I was looking at some budget bundles and have narrowed it down to flor de oliva corojo,or maduro, or maybe la floridita bundles anyone had these before?looking for opinions,as my taste profile leans towards pepin,padron....thanx

md4958
01-31-2009, 09:17 AM
ive had the flor de oliva maddies, gold, and naturals. They are a pretty decent stick. I prefer the petit belicoso.

never tried the floridita

taltos
01-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Look at the GR Specials also, made by the folks who make Gran Habanos.

Tio Gato
01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
The Olivas are a good choice.
Check the Devil site, CigarBid.com
You'll find some great deals there on budget smokes. Flor de Oliva are usually offered frequently. Just be sure to check the regular price at Cigars International before bidding, you don't want to pay extra.

You may be able to find a more expensive favorite of yours at a good price. I'm often able to buy a fiver of a good cigar for less than the price of two at retail. Check the samplers also, sometimes you can get a 20 cigar brand sampler for about a dollar a cigar.

Be cautious though, it's really easy to get addicted to bidding.:ss

Homebrewer
01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
If the Famous Nic 3000s are considered a "bundle" I would get those. They are great IMO.

fuubar
01-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Tatuaje series P are great smokes for a cheap price. According to this video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJABxg2bX0U you can pick up a box of 31 for 70$ from Atlantic cigars if you call (i have not verified though). I bought 3 boxes from tex cigars at ~100 a piece and at a little over 3 bucks a cigar they are great.

Tim D.
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
As an everyday cigar, I've always liked Consuegras from jrcigars.com (my favorite is the Governor #16 maduros at $27 for a bundle of 25). If you like a slightly milder smoke, the Plasencia Opulencia (also from JRs) are excellent IMHO and are only $49 for a box on 20. They are glass tubed and come in a very ornate box.

replicant_argent
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Hard to narrow down unless you have tried them, no?
I would suggest you try and grab a sample of each and smoke them side by side to see what you want out of them, a well spent few dollars.

smokin5
01-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I've not had the Flor de Olivas, so can't say.
The La Floriditas are 'just OK', nothing special.

If you like the fuller smokes, though, you might consider either
5 Vegas Series 'A' (I get 'em on CigarBid for $1.50-$1.70@ after factoring in shipping) Or

Diablos (Can get the Robustos for $40 plus shipping for a box/25 or the Petite Coronas $50 for box/40 right now, and they're often on sale for Buy 1 Get 1 at $80 - this is a Famous Smoke exclusive) Or

Fumadores, if you like Pepins (a Holts exclusive made by Pepin, usually about $42 a box/20, often on sale for $30 a box/20, plus shipping) Or

La Vieja Habana Fumas (Cameroons are my favorite, but they also come in Corojo, can get them in various sizes for about $1.50-$1.60@ on Cigarbid)

PM me & I'll send you a couple of each.:)

totallytentative
01-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Tatuaje series P are great smokes for a cheap price. According to this video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJABxg2bX0U you can pick up a box of 31 for 70$ from Atlantic cigars if you call (i have not verified though). I bought 3 boxes from tex cigars at ~100 a piece and at a little over 3 bucks a cigar they are great.
If anyone does this or calls them, let us know how it goes, because that review is almost 2 years old. It's actually for the StogieReview: http://www.stogiereview.com/2007/02/22/tatuaje-series-p/

Kreth
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I really like the Sancho Panza Double Maduro La Manchas (similar in size to a corona). You can pick up a box of these for about $35 from CI. Perdomo Slow Aged Lot 826 can be had pretty cheap for a bundle of 20, too.

Pat1075
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
CFO #7 good smoke. And if you factor in the 75 cent price tag per stick great smoke. I'll echo the SP double Maduros as well I like the alicante personally I think it tastes relatively close to a padron.

BlackIrish
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Over on JR you can find the Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Edicion Limitada (make sure to go with the EL). Don't dwell on the "genuine counterfeit cuban" gimmick, and you'll find yourself an excellent cigar. They come in cabs of 40 or 50, at about $1.50 per stick.

Also agree with other recommendations re SP - I like the Extra Fuerte as well as the double maduro - and to explore options on CBid, if you can avoid the addiction.

Good luck, and hope things turn up for you soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

md4958
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Over on JR you can find the Genuine Counterfeit Cuban Edicion Limitada (make sure to go with the EL). Don't dwell on the "genuine counterfeit cuban" gimmick, and you'll find yourself an excellent cigar. They come in cabs of 40 or 50, at about $1.50 per stick.

:tpd: Im with Eddie on these... they are great for the price

Homebrewer
01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm. I did a quick search and couldn't find the EL.

BlackIrish
01-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Hmm. I did a quick search and couldn't find the EL.

Here's the link: http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=Genuine%20Pre-Embargo%20C.%20C.%20EDICION%20LIMITADA

Checked, and they come in cabs of 40. You can pick them up on the JR Auction pages for less than the retail price -- often in the $50-60 range.

shilala
01-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Sancho Panza Double Maduro, Extra Fuerte, and Esteban Carrera Maduro and Corojos are stellar cheap sticks.
There's tons more out there, too.
Tampa Sweethearts are another excellent cheap smoke.

BlackIrish
01-31-2009, 08:29 PM
By the way, Henry Clay Hondurans are very good cigars, too, and although not a bundle, a good value.

Starscream
01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Hard to narrow down unless you have tried them, no?
I would suggest you try and grab a sample of each and smoke them side by side to see what you want out of them, a well spent few dollars.
:tpd:
Sancho Panza Double Maduro, Extra Fuerte, and Esteban Carrera Maduro and Corojos are stellar cheap sticks.

:tpd:

mi2az
01-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Tagging this so I can reference for myself when I start buying regularly

yourchoice
01-31-2009, 09:27 PM
After a downturn my economy,I was looking at some budget bundles and have narrowed it down to flor de oliva corojo,or maduro, or maybe la floridita bundles anyone had these before?looking for opinions,as my taste profile leans towards pepin,padron....thanx

Between the FdO Corojo and Maduro, I preferred the Corojo much much more. Honestly, the Corojo's were one of the better budget smokes I've had...along with some Connie #9 Maduro's I picked up from JR's. The FdO's are probably a closer fit to the Pepin/Padron though (IMHO).

borndead1
01-31-2009, 09:32 PM
If the Famous Nic 3000s are considered a "bundle" I would get those. They are great IMO.

Hell yeah, another vote for the Nic 3000. I like the La Floridita maduros, still waiting to form an opinion on the nats because I got some recently and they were WAY too moist, almost unsmokeable.

I am a cheap NC kinda guy. I smoke a lot of cheap NCs to balance out the cost of the CCs. :D Here is a list of some of my favorite bundle smokes:

MILD: Dominico by Torano, Flor de Oliva Gold, Famous Honduran 5000

MEDIUM: El Mejor Emerald (box but under $2 a stick on cbid), Perdomo Fresh-Rolled wheels

FULL: Nic 3000, Indian Tabac Maduro, Indian Tabac Super Fuerte (nat, dont care for the mad), Perdomo Remainders Habano wrap -- they have these at Famous.

If you are gonna order from Famous, I'd say go for the FDO corojos and a bundle of Nic 3000s. Good combo right there. :ss

Man...I almost forgot. If you like the Padron thousand series, I find that the Omar Ortez Original tastes very similar. JMO though.