PDA

View Full Version : This Belongs to Everyone Here at Cigar Asylum

No1der
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey guys,
As some of you may remember over a year ago I asked all the Gorillas at CS if they could contribute some cigars for the Polish Troops serving in the U.S. Coalition forces. In true Gorilla fashion I was overwhelmed by the generous packages that came from the jungle.

Anyway, I had some legal back and forths with the Polish Embasy and several months later the cigars were shipped off to Afghanistan. Why not Iraq I don't know but maybe they know.

In any case, last September I was invited to the Polish Embassy as an honored guest. Shortly after I was visited by the Polish Army liaison for Washington D.C. and was presented with the following "Certificate"...

Now I made it clear that Club Stogie were the ones who deserved a majority of the credit but seeing as what's happened to CS I think it may be just as well that the site wasn't mentioned.

In any case, this certificate belongs as much to everyone of you who made this possible as it does to me.

Sorry for the delay in posting this but It's been a very rough half year for me and my family and I just hadn't been visiting any forums. I guess in a way that also worked out for the best as CS is dead and I'm glad to be able to post this for the first time here at Cigar Asylum.

http://members.cox.net/no1der/TEMP/CA/DiplomaFromPolshGeneral.jpg

This is one post that will not become property of someone who had nothing to do with creating it.

Cheers to you my BOTL brothers, you made this possible and cheered up some Soldiers a very long way from home.

Cheers,
Rob

EDIT: Below is the translated text added at the request of No1der. ~pnoon

Now I want to warn everyone that my Polish to English translation skills aren't very good.

I speak the language quite well but reading and writing are my weakpoints.

I think I did the text justice but I'm sure it could have been done better.

Below is a translation of the text:
"Mr. Robert W. Korczak-Sielicki (Me)

In the name of myself and all the soldiers of the Polish Contingency of the Army in Afghanistan I thirst to give in your hands the most sincere thanks for this warm gift that gave us such great joy.

Putting together the gesture of great respect I would like to give (you) the most sincere soldiers salute (my translation) and best wishes, lots of health and good tidings in your personal and professional life.

Signed.
Commander of Polish Contingent of the Army in Afghanistan.

Brigadier General Grzegorz Buszka"

Scottw
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Aw man, that's great!!

pnoon
01-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Very nice.
Is there any way you or someone you know could translate the text?

Snake Hips
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Wow, that is very cool. I too would like to know what it says!

The things the gorillas accomplish with their generosity has always astounded me...

uncballzer
01-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for sharing!! Wonderful to know our members made a few others smile and a difference in the world!

No1der
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Very nice.

Yup, got it typed up. Now I want to warn everyone that my Polish to English translation skills aren't very good.

In the name of myself and all the soldiers of the Polish Contingency of the Army in Afghanistan I thirst to give in your hands the most sincere thanks for this warm gift that gave us such great joy.

Putting together the gesture of great respect I would like to give (you) the most sincere soldiers salute (my translation) and best wishes, lots of health and good tidings in your personal and professional life.

Signed.

pnoon
01-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks, Robert. :tu

No1der
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Robert. :tu

Thank you guys, like I said this is as much yours as it is mine.

Cheers,
Rob

DrDubzz
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
that is awesome! thanks so much for sharing that

No1der
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
that is awesome! thanks so much for sharing that

I'm glad that circumstances allowed me to post it here where it belongs.

Cheers,
Rob

DrDubzz
01-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm glad that circumstances allowed me to post it here where it belongs.

Cheers,
Rob

no doubt, I think it worked out well

SmoknTaz
01-28-2009, 11:32 PM
This is truly amazing, thanks for sharing with us and not puff! :tu

No1der
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
This is truly amazing, thanks for sharing with us and not puff! :tu

Well, it's pretty much the members here that made this possible. There's no love like Jungle love and the fellas from the Jungle really gave a lot of love and over 1000 cigars.

Cheers,
Rob

SmokinDuck
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM
That is absolutely awesome.

Beer Doctor
01-28-2009, 11:49 PM
That is awesome! Thank you and all the other gorillas/inmates for being so generous. My Polish wife (nee Kolashinski) thought it was cool as well!

icehog3
01-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Very cool, Rob! :tu

bobarian
01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing! :ss

Don Fernando
01-29-2009, 02:51 AM
that is awesome, credits to those who deserve it

Rockestone
01-29-2009, 03:29 AM
That's great! Thanks for posting.

Throb
01-29-2009, 04:27 AM
That is beautiful! Gorillas (or inmates) are really good people.

Puffer fish are, well...:confused:

Lucky_Hippo
01-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Wow. Now that is cool! :tu

68TriShield
01-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Thanks for sharing Rob :usa

JohnnyKay5
01-29-2009, 06:30 AM
thats awesome.. i'm polish, and it was great seeing some brothern over there. Thanks for sending them some smokes.. great job!

ucla695
01-29-2009, 06:48 AM
That's amazing!! Kudos to everyone who participated.

scooter
01-29-2009, 07:33 AM
That is great. Thanks for sharing it with us here.;)

Hardcz
01-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Very cool, glad to see stogies and gifts getting to their rightful homes.

Fumador
01-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Wow. That certificate is cool looking.

taltos
01-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Very nice.
Is there any way you or someone you know could translate the text?I will see if my wife or her sister can still read enough Polish to translate if you like.

Mugen910
01-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Very nice.

:tpd:

Hot Stuff x
01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
That's very cool that you BOTLs would do that for some of our brothers in arms. As a guy who deployed with the US Army many times over the years, i can tell you it feels great to know that folks back home--even strangers to us-- care about us enough to send care packages and well wishes. I'm sure what you did here for these Polish troops they will never forget, and not only did it lift thier spirits, but I think it also helps foster goodwill between our two countries at a grass roots level. Well done!:ss

No1der
01-29-2009, 09:17 AM
I will see if my wife or her sister can still read enough Polish to translate if you like.

Uhm, guys, I kinda already posted a translation. If one of the mods would like to copy and paste it into the OP that would be great.

That's very cool that you BOTLs would do that for some of our brothers in arms. As a guy who deployed with the US Army many times over the years, i can tell you it feels great to know that folks back home--even strangers to us-- care about us enough to send care packages and well wishes. I'm sure what you did here for these Polish troops they will never forget, and not only did it lift thier spirits, but I think it also helps foster goodwill between our two countries at a grass roots level. Well done!:ss

Thank you but I can't stress this enough that although I did play a part most of the credit goes to the Gorillas/Inmates that made this possible.

Certainly I included several bundles of cigars myself but the vast majority >800 were donated by the Jungle.

This is what makes this community absolutely amazing, the fact that we care about others and hold very closely to the unwritten BOTL code.

I salute all of you for the help and in retrospect (and this part will sound strange on the surface) I am happy that there was no mention of Club Stogie in the papers. It would really bother me if some guy with bundles of cash had purchased the credit for what all the BOTL's did/do.

Cheers,
Rob

pnoon
01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Uhm, guys, I kinda already posted a translation. If one of the mods would like to copy and paste it into the OP that would be great.

Consider it done.

Jbailey
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Glad to see that the smokes got there, very cool Rob.

Gophernut
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM
:salute:Nicely done! That's really cool! :salute:

zmancbr
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow. Now that is cool! :tu

That is definitely a wonderful thing. :D

Texan in Mexico
01-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Very cool Rob and thanks for sharing here.

No1der
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Consider it done.

Thanks Pnoon, much appreciated.

Glad to see that the smokes got there, very cool Rob.

:salute:Nicely done! That's really cool! :salute:

That is definitely a wonderful thing. :D

Thanks guys it certainly felt great to be able to make that delivery. I did run into a couple of problems at the start of trying to arrange transport to the troops as the Polish Embassy was hesitant to get involved in arranging transport.

Once we communicated more clearly the two coolers flew out of the U.S. on the same plane as the Polish president. It was kind of a funny story because they didn't anticipate just how much room 1000 cigars along with humidification actually takes.

So in any case, the Polish President was visiting the States on some official business and the Polish government arranged with his staff to have the two coolers flown on his plane.

It's possible that the Colonel that I was dealing with was just telling me a tall tale but I doubt he would risk looking dumb over something like that so I'm inclined to believe him.

I'll tell ya, truth is stranger than fiction more often than not.

Cheers,
Rob

No1der
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Allow me to elaborate on some of the other things that were contributed aside from cigars.

50 V-Cutters.
Lots of water pillows & humidification devices.
U.S. Military patches and, if I remember correctly, U.S. Aviation scarves and the like.
Cigar decals and stickers.
Several personal notes & letters to the troops ( I didn't read them as they weren't to me)

All in all I dare say that I got so much out of this that it's hard to put into words. The feeling of brotherhood from the Jungle/Inmates and the feeling of getting those stogies to the troops was, and still is, just amazing.

Cheers,
Rob

BlackIrish
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that and for representing us so well.

VirtualSmitty
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Very cool indeed.

Steelergar
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Your the man Rob!

No1der
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Your the man Rob!

Thanks for saying that but in all honesty I don't deserve that much praise. The praise really should go to the BOTL's who helped make it happen.

It was an honor to be a part of this but I only played a part in a much bigger production.

Cheers,
Rob

rsamos
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
That is excellent!

gnukfu
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
That is excellent!! Great job organizing the barrage of smokes!

BP22
01-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Well done...that is awesome! :tu

PaleRider
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Thank you for sharing that with us No1lder. That is so great! I find that I am continually blown away by the caliber of people we have in our midst.

Thanks!:usa

hotreds
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Doskonały Istotnie!

acruce
01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Very cool

MarkinAZ
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, As some of you may remember over a year ago I asked all the Gorillas at CS if they could contribute some cigars for the Polish Troops serving in the U.S. Coalition forces.

Rob, thanks for sharing that Certificate with us. It was a pleasure as a "former Gorilla" to contribute a box of cigars to the cause. I'm sure the troops enjoyed all that was sent to them. It's always nice to have a little piece of home in a land far away. Congratulations:ss

Footbag
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Very cool! The gorillas will be remembered long after there gone thanks to generosity like this!

CBI_2
01-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Swampfox21
01-29-2009, 10:27 PM
hey thats awesome!!!

No1der
01-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Rob, thanks for sharing that Certificate with us. It was a pleasure as a "former Gorilla" to contribute a box of cigars to the cause. I'm sure the troops enjoyed all that was sent to them. It's always nice to have a little piece of home in a land far away. Congratulations:ss

You know that you and others from CS contributed just slightly over 1000 cigars. Two coolers ended up being shipped to Afghanistan and I remember thinking that I would have loved to be there to see their faces when those cigars arrived.

You and the others were absolutely awesome and I appreciate all the help.
Oh hell, I think I have a picture of me sorting those cigars. I need to see if I can find it and I'll post it.

If I do find it maybe I can as Pnoon or one of the other 11 to insert it into OP. I don't want to get ahead of myself cause I have to see if I can find those pics.

Gorillas/Inmates/BOTL's are the best... It's this community that made CS absolutely amazing and I have no doubt that we'll do it again here at our new home at Cigar Asylum.

Cheers,
Rob

brigey57
01-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,
As some of you may remember over a year ago I asked all the Gorillas at CS if they could contribute some cigars for the Polish Troops serving in the U.S. Coalition forces. In true Gorilla fashion I was overwhelmed by the generous packages that came from the jungle.

Anyway, I had some legal back and forths with the Polish Embasy and several months later the cigars were shipped off to Afghanistan. Why not Iraq I don't know but maybe they know.

In any case, last September I was invited to the Polish Embassy as an honored guest. Shortly after I was visited by the Polish Army liaison for Washington D.C. and was presented with the following "Certificate"...

Now I made it clear that Club Stogie were the ones who deserved a majority of the credit but seeing as what's happened to CS I think it may be just as well that the site wasn't mentioned.

In any case, this certificate belongs as much to everyone of you who made this possible as it does to me.

Sorry for the delay in posting this but It's been a very rough half year for me and my family and I just hadn't been visiting any forums. I guess in a way that also worked out for the best as CS is dead and I'm glad to be able to post this for the first time here at Cigar Asylum.

This is one post that will not become property of someone who had nothing to do with creating it.

Cheers to you my BOTL brothers, you made this possible and cheered up some Soldiers a very long way from home.

Cheers,
Rob

EDIT: Below is the translated text added at the request of No1der. ~pnoon

Now I want to warn everyone that my Polish to English translation skills aren't very good.

Signed.

Thank you for sharing this with us, as it is truly a result of your effort to initiate the collection and distribution of the cigars. You are recognized for your efforts and thoughts for the brave soldiers who sacrificially give of themselves for the good fight. To those BOTL I give my salute. :salute:

No1der
01-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Thank you for sharing this with us, as it is truly a result of your effort to initiate the collection and distribution of the cigars. You are recognized for your efforts and thoughts for the brave soldiers who sacrificially give of themselves for the good fight. To those BOTL I give my salute. :salute:

Well I appreciate that very much. I guess inspite of having a big mouth I tend to be rather humble and sometimes I have a hard time accepting compliments. Thank you and everyone else for your kind words.

Now, I said that I thought I had a couple of pictures of me sorting cigars and I was right, I found it and sized it for the web.

The first two pictures are of me sorting all the singles that I recieved from the Jungle. I think I may have a picture of the bundles and boxes but I need to search through my documents.

So what you see in the first two pics are just the assorted singles that were sent to me for the troops.

The last picture is of myself and the Major who was also involved in helping me get those cigars to the troops.

http://members.cox.net/no1der/TEMP/CA/cigarsorting.jpg

http://members.cox.net/no1der/TEMP/CA/cigarsorting2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/no1der/TEMP/CA/RobandMajor.jpg

Cheers,
Rob

No1der
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Update:
For some reason I am unable to find any pics of the box's and bundled cigars. It might be on an old HDD that I'll look through later today when I hook it up.

Cheers,
Rob

troutbreath
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
That is cool. Thanks for posting.

Prospector
01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
That is just outstanding, and Rob you are way too modest. Clearly without your efforts this would never have happened. Thank you for caring enough to do this, and for your obvious Herculean efforts to make it succeed.